Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Group Water Schemes have their costs subsidised. See Its back on the list. And I very much doubt "Most of the one off rural houses" provide their own water and sewage.

Most one off houses that do not happen to be anywhere near a village or town have to provide their own sewage treatment and often provide their own water.
    True enough a fair few are connected to group water schemes, which for the most part were funded by the group members themselves.
    Jo King wrote: »
    that is exactly the problem, people are totally car dependent in these areas consuming vast amounts of fuel just to do normal things like go to school, play sports visit shops, doctors etc.. In France people live in a village, walk to school, or to see the doctor, or the pub and so on.

Ah ffs do people in our cities not drive anywhere ?
    The amount of people in cities who cart their kids to school, to play sport, etc in cars is even worse when you consider the distances involved.

And have you visited many French towns and villages.
    Ever noticed how the hearts of them have been ripped out, much like someone complained has happened supposedly due to one off housing ?
    Ever notice how the local hypermarket and big supermarket on the edge of town has resulted in the smaller shops closing ?

Our move to cars is not due to people living in countryside, not due to one off housing but due to fact we have become very Americanised and our public transport is absolutely sh**e.

Even within our capital the transport system is cr**.
    Often unless one goes through the city centre, one is unable to get between two points.
    What is a 30 minute journey by car can be a two hour journey by public transport.
    Now tell me why anyone would put up with that.
    Jo King wrote: »
    a famine was inevitable sooner or later. The only way the large population was maintained was by continual subdivision of the land. This could not continue ad infinitum. The land was becoming exhausted from overuse and even before the famine, some landlords were beginning to clear holdings and consolidate them.

Ehh you do know that the country was actually exporting food at the time of the famine ?
    The thing that screwed the poor was the fact they had become dependent on one crop and when that crop failed they starved since the authorities and the landlords for the most part did feck all to help them.

This thread just highlights the amount of people around who believe in the communist tendency to dictate where people should live.
    Not all of us want to live in a f***ing housing estate of homogeneous boxes looking into someone elses mouth. :mad:

I am tired of the sh**e where anyone that lives in the countryside is now seen as a tax drain on the ever so hard working city cosmopolitan types and even now blamed by some for the demise of the planet. :mad:

And the sooner people cop on that the city/towns need the countryside to survive, and not as some unpopulated distination visited at the weekends, the better for all of us in this bleedin country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

An aweful lot of crap being written in this thread by people who seem to think they know it all

some people haven't a clue about the costs associated with building a 1 off house which people are paying from THEIR OWN pockets

Electricity is about 2,500 to join a line WITHOUT the cost of any poles. You pay additional for every pole you need

In my area if you build a house you have to pay a one off 10,000 to the local council - with nothing in return, absolutely nothing

To bore a well can cost anything from 2k to 4k and their aint any grants going for that

People seem to think that nobody in the city pollutes. A friend of mine spend an hour and 20 minutes travelling 8 miles in Dublin this mornng, dropping kids off on route to work. It would take me 10 to get kids to school and get home again. Wonder which car is polluting more??

I also find it amazing that most city folk seem to have an opinion on how the countryside should be populated and what they should and shouldn't have regarding services - I don't think i've ever heard a country person say a city should be built this way or that way - sounds like dictatorship to me.

If you have a problem with rural Ireland then don't bother going to rural Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

jmayo wrote: »

This thread just highlights the amount of people around who believe in the communist tendency to dictate where people should live.
    Not all of us want to live in a f***ing housing estate of homogeneous boxes looking into someone elses mouth. :mad:

I am tired of the sh**e where anyone that lives in the countryside is now seen as a tax drain on the ever so hard working city cosmopolitan types and even now blamed by some for the demise of the planet. :mad:

And the sooner people cop on that the city/towns need the countryside to survive, and not as some unpopulated distination visited at the weekends, the better for all of us in this bleedin country.

Look, I don't have a problem with where you want to live. I am glad you don't want to be a tax drain so don't expect the state to pay for your rural broadband, keep your post office open etc.

Live where you want to live.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Group Water Schemes have their costs subsidised. See Its back on the list. And I very much doubt "Most of the one off rural houses" provide their own water and sewage.

Hold on a second now City people get their water for free the ultimate in Subsidy. At least country people are paying a significant portion of their water costs. Most people in towns and cities haven't a clue what a water meter is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

murphaph wrote: »
    Very sad to see what has happened to our country. The countryside doesn't belong to rural dwellers. It belongs to all of us and urban dwellers have every right to make comment on land use in rural Ireland.

They do to a certain extent, however, it's kinda like NIMBYism by proxy demanding a countryside that one doesn't live in, nor hold a real stake in, should be kept to our urban dweller fantasies.

It's a difficult issue, I hate McMansions and some of the countryside is indeed spoiled by wrongheaded development. However, I have a serious issue with those who don't choose to live in an area deciding how those who do may or may not live their lives. Maybe more national parks should be created, to better shape rural development and protect more areas of natural beauty.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    Look, I don't have a problem with where you want to live. I am glad you don't want to be a tax drain so don't expect the state to pay for your rural broadband, keep your post office open etc.

Well if we all take that attitude then why should people in low crime areas have their taxes pay for extra Gardai in Finglas, Crumlin or Limerick ?
    Why should any of my taxes go to funding a metro or Luas as I don't get any use out of them ?
    Lets take it a step further and say why should I fund the unemployed, the sick, the old or education since I don't get any use out of those services ?

If we are to break everything down to cost benefit analysis then where would we all live ?
    Would we all have to live along Dart or Luas lines ?

As Tippman so adequately illustrated there is some amount of sh**e being spouted about how services to those in the countryside are subsidised by all the urbanities.

I know someone who got planning for one off rural home in county bordering Dublin.
    BTW it was rebuild so not totally new house.
    They were charged circa 15,000 by county council for services. :rolleyes:
    Now they have to install and environmentally verify their own well, their own sewage treatment plant and they were not digging up the road.
    They already have phone line and electricity so that no works to be done to get those in.

So if you look at it they are been charged just for living there. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Tipp Man wrote: »
    some people haven't a clue about the costs associated with building a 1 off house which people are paying from THEIR OWN pockets

Who else would pay for you to build a one off house?
    Electricity is about 2,500 to join a line WITHOUT the cost of any poles. You pay additional for every pole you need

You pay the same per kilowatt as someone in Dublin or Cork city would. That's in spite of the fact it costs a fortune to transmit electricity down every highway and by way of rural Ireland, far more then it does to the urban areas. It's been gone into in detail over in the infrastructure forum of you want to check it out for yourself.
    In my area if you build a house you have to pay a one off 10,000 to the local council - with nothing in return, absolutely nothing

Wow i didn't know there was local authority areas in Ireland which didn't possess a local Fire Brigade service, or libraries, or any of the other myriad of services available to the public via local authorities.
    To bore a well can cost anything from 2k to 4k and their aint any grants going for that

Why would there be grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why should any of my taxes go to funding a metro or Luas as I don't get any use out of them ?

You're barking up the wrong tree bitching about Dublin amenities. Every single thing done in Dublin is covered by Dublin taxes, well covered, the rest goes to the rest of the country... And, the capital is as much yours as it is mine. I don't begrudge the millions that is poured in to rural Ireland every year, in fact I go out of my way to support Irish producers, so I would advice you not to begrudge us paying for our public transport which we pay to use after it's built. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

They do to a certain extent, however, it's kinda like NIMBYism by proxy demanding a countryside that one doesn't live in, nor hold a real stake in, should be kept to our urban dweller fantasies.

It's a difficult issue, I hate McMansions and some of the countryside is indeed spoiled by wrongheaded development. However, I have a serious issue with those who don't choose to live in an area deciding how those who do may or may not live their lives. Maybe more national parks should be created, to better shape rural development and protect more areas of natural beauty.

Even if more national parks are created that will not stop the problem of bungalow blight. Most of the country will consist of work farms. Every resident on the island and indeed many people with an affinity such as the diaspora and indeed everyone on the planet concerned with the use of scarce fuels and other resources are perfectly entitled to be concerned about land use in Ireland.
    despite all the complaints about the cost of installing power cabling to one off houses, for years after, indeed for the entire lifetime that house there will be a loss for the supply of service and maintenance of the infrastructure. Ireland had a dispersed population hundred years ago when there was a high density of population even in remote areas because of small holdings and large families. Little or no infrastructure was needed because few had electricity, telephone or sewage and running water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You're barking up the wrong tree bitching about Dublin amenities. Every single thing done in Dublin is covered by Dublin taxes, well covered, the rest goes to the rest of the country... And, the capital is as much yours as it is mine. I don't begrudge the millions that is poured in to rural Ireland every year, in fact I go out of my way to support Irish producers, so I would advice you not to begrudge us paying for our public transport which we pay to use after it's built. ;)

Not to sound rash, but so what?
    Taxes collected are spent in the well being of all of Ireland, not just the city that they're collected from. This "they took out taxes!" line is dragged out and flayed a few times whenever there's a Dublin vs. the rest of the country thread and has about as much to do with a thread about rural housing as the moon landing.
    I honestly believe that some people from heavily urbanized areas have a fairyland idea of what rural Ireland is actually like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭cailinardthair

I also find it amazing that most city folk seem to have an opinion on how the countryside should be populated and what they should and shouldn't have regarding services - I don't think i've ever heard a country person say a city should be built this way or that way - sounds like dictatorship to me.

If you have a problem with rural Ireland then don't bother going to rural Ireland
    Hear Hear :)

Not to sound rash, but so what?
    Taxes collected are spent in the well being of all of Ireland, not just the city that they're collected from. This "they took out taxes!"

Well, you do sound a bit rash... please look back at the thread properly, you will see that I was reacting to jmayo claiming that his taxes were taken to build the Luas. I will quote him again.

This is a typical "they took our taxes" attitude from rural people when it comes to this bullsheet rural v urban crap. And we know this is certainly not the case.

As I said, I don't begrudge my taxes going to benefit rural Ireland, I spend a huge amount of time there and I support rural industry.

Please, read first, then react ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

For one minute, I will accept that you are right and we have the technology and ability to fit services around people. The problem is, we don't have the money. Whether it is to bring public transport, broadband, hospital services, post or electiricity to one-off houses on top of mountains, the state cannot afford to do so. Given the way our lust for property (be it stupid one-bedroom apartments only big enough to be hotel rooms or stupid ugly one-off monstrosities in Killaloe) has ruined the country (the bankers did need our help to waste the money), we just cannot afford to sustain our dispersed mode of living.
    Regarding hospitals every little village doesn't have one and keeping them open in the larger towns to service a geographical area would have nothing to do with whether the locals lived in the towns or in the countryside, eg a hospital in Bantry would serve the people of Bantry, Glengarriff, Ballydehob etc anyway, whether people lived isolated between these towns or actually in them.
    Since the only way to avoid having things like an electric supply or a postman covering large geographical areas would be a Stalinstic style clearing of people from the land it ain't gonna happen, and ensuring the supply of these things to all areas is not unique to Ireland but is common to all developed countries regardless of cost. We are actually lucky because we live in a geographically small area and don't have areas that are actually hard to access thanks to our vast road network.

Since people don't live on top of mountains, and these apartments you speak of are in settled areas and not in isolated spots, these are non points.
    Nobody is saying that the planning in many cases wasn't disgraceful, and instead of a free for all or a blanket ban, more care should be in ensuring properties are in keeping with the local area and fit into the landscape.
    Are you aware good planing and architecturally aesthetic building can actually enhance an area.
    Wait for the next few years. You will see more rural bank branches close, you will see more rural post offices close, you will see more small schools close, you will see more rural pubs close, you will see more hospital closures (and thank God for that, there have been too many lives lost and mistakes made because of small hospitals), you will see GPs consolidate into shared practices in large towns as is happening already in cities, rural pharmacies will follow, public transport will be reduced (study the way the Dublin Bus Network review is attempting to focus on busy routes), you will see local authorities prioritise road maintenance to busy routes (if your road wasn't cleared of snow last winter, the potholes won't be fixed in three years time), you will see private telecoms and tv providers focus on delivery to the masses with the state unable to pick up the cost of delivery to the tops of mountains, you will be left with a Spar that will charge as much as it can while not so much that you travel 20 miles somewhere else for a pint of milk. That is the future of rural Ireland (and I haven't mentioned the cost of petrol or electicity for the electric car).
    :rolleyes:
    Wow! So we are all going to end up living in some sort of Orwellian dystopic society in huge apartment blocks and the "daily commute" will look something like this.
    As long as the 100's of thousands of people who demand these basic services are not ignored by governments, something urban dwellers should be quite concerned with also, then such a nightmare will not occur.
    I think you will find as the use of fossil fuels changes and (hopefully) people change to more sustainable living it is cities that will become untenable.

People will be left sitting in their house on the side of the hill, with nothing to do and nowhere to go with only their connection to the electricity pole that DeValera sent their way in the 1930s/50s, their well out the back and the seeping septic tank that the company can't get up the hill to empty because of the state of the roads in winter. I don't envy them at all.
    A good septic tank doesn't need to be touched. Water is everywhere and (as you mentioned) we have a great electric grid, and we have a good network of phone lines,
    Ha ha, typical comments of someone who has no idea of what life is like in the country, how people spend their time or what people find important and want from life. Our priorities are not coffee shops, cinemas, night clubs etc......
    It is the countryside itself most of us enjoy.
    Enjoy while you can.
    Indeed we will and so will our children and grandchildren, as we watch you try to sort out the problems urban living entails with your gangs of teens terrorising people, your hospitals overflowing with asthma cases and your suburbs becoming nightmares as you slowly realise it is easier to live out in the country without a car, than in a sprawling suburb as the oil runs out. :D

Indeed we will and so will our children and grandchildren, as we watch you try to sort out the problems urban living entails with your gangs of teens terrorising people, your hospitals overflowing with asthma cases and your suburbs becoming nightmares as you slowly realise it is easier to live out in the country without a car, than in a sprawling suburb as the oil runs out. :D

...and where it's €8 for a pint, everyone walks around shooting each other with AK47's, the Roma gypsies will rob all your clothes without you even knowing, there are no trees, a small meal will cost €400 for one, every street corner has a rapist and there is no sky?

Pub talk educations are all very well, but you are better off getting out there and seeing your own country for yourself. :D

(I'm sure it's all a bit tongue in cheek!!)

Well, you do sound a bit rash... please look back at the thread properly, you will see that I was reacting to jmayo claiming that his taxes were taken to build the Luas. I will quote him again.

This is a typical "they took our taxes" attitude from rural people when it comes to this bullsheet rural v urban crap. And we know this is certainly not the case.
    As I said, I don't begrudge my taxes going to benefit rural Ireland, I spend a huge amount of time there and I support rural industry.
    and jmayo was responding to godge whinging about the same thing. honestly, take your own medicine :rolleyes:
    my point still stands that money collected in a city being spend in rural areas is irrelevant to the discussion.

you need to take your own advice there :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Since the only way to avoid having things like an electric supply or a postman covering large geographical areas would be a Stalinstic style clearing of people from the land it ain't gonna happen, and ensuring the supply of these things to all areas is not unique to Ireland but is common to all developed countries regardless of cost. We are actually lucky because we live in a geographically small area and don't have areas that are actually hard to access thanks to our vast road network.

:D

There may not be a Stalinist clear ouit, but neighbouring jurisdictions such as the UK and France have achieved it by proper planning.

It is ridiculous that we have to maintain a vast road network.

It is becoming more difficult for service businesses to survive in rural areas. In many cases services such as Post Offices were provided by individuals who were prepared to accept very low pay. Incrreasingly, when these people retire, ther is no on willing to continue on the same basis. Doctors are no longer willing to do house calls to people living in isolate areas. Ambulances have to be sent out and travel long distances to deal with relatively minor incidents.
    If the planners don't try and control bungalow blight, the lack of services may well do the job instead.

Well if we all take that attitude then why should people in low crime areas have their taxes pay for extra Gardai in Finglas, Crumlin or Limerick ?
    Lets take it a step further and say why should I fund the unemployed, the sick, the old or education since I don't get any use out of those services ?

In future can you kindly practice what you preach before you start mouthing off about me and taking my comments out of context.
    Lecturing others to do something you can't be bothered doing yourself is pretty condescending and a bit rich.

and jmayo was responding to godge whinging about the same thing. honestly, take your own medicine :rolleyes:
    my point still stands that money collected in a city being spend in rural areas is irrelevant to the discussion.

you need to take your own advice there :D

Thank you.

BTW I notice the thread was moved.
    I suppose we should be thankful it wasn't moved to the fashion forum. :D

Double post, sorry.

Lecturing others to do something you can't be bothered doing yourself is pretty condescending and a bit rich

Explain please.

my point still stands that money collected in a city being spend in rural areas is irrelevant to the discussion

of course it is. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

So, your point is that although city dwellers are heavily subsidising services for in rural areas (yes, group water schemes are subsidised.), that they should butt out of having a say in how rural areas are managed?

And it's a bit rich having rural dwellers complaining about Dublin getting everything, when not a single cent of tax collected outside Dublin is ever spent in Dublin.

of course it is. ;)
    thanks for acknowledging it ;)
    Cool Mo D wrote: »
    So, your point is that although city dwellers are heavily subsidising services for in rural areas (yes, group water schemes are subsidised.), that they should butt out of having a say in how rural areas are managed?
    yes. taxes are for the benefit of ALL society, not just where they were collected. it'd be like someone complaining that their taxes go to dole payments, or a childless person whinging that their taxes pay teachers
    And it's a bit rich having rural dwellers complaining about Dublin getting everything, when not a single cent of tax collected outside Dublin is ever spent in Dublin.
    I agree. that's why i'm not complaining.

So, your point is that although city dwellers are heavily subsidising services for in rural areas (yes, group water schemes are subsidised.)

As I have already said on this thread CITY/URBAN water is 100% subsidised - its bloody FREE. you can't get much more subsidised than that

Really i think a lot of the urbanites on this thread are just on a windup - they can't honestly believe what they write

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

As I have already said on this thread CITY/URBAN water is 100% subsidised - its bloody FREE. you can't get much more subsidised than that

Businesses all across the country pay water rates and, in the next year or two residences will be the same.

markpb wrote: »
    Businesses all across the country pay water rates and, in the next year or two residences will be the same.

I was referring to private housing as the majority of this thread seems to be

do private houses in Dublin pay for their water?? Answer NO

do a lot of people living in rural areas pay for their water?? Answer YES

No getting away from that fact. The vast majority of people i know are extremely amused at the furore that "potential" water metering is having with urbanites and are amazed that everybody thinks free water is a god given right

A lot of things are cheaper in the city, dining out, food, fish, etc... get over it, you can move to the city tomorrow if you like it that much.

A lot of things are cheaper in the city, dining out, food, fish, etc... get over it, you can move to the city tomorrow if you like it that much.

I don't give a damn that things are cheaper or more expensive in the city. The arguement was put forward that rural private water schemes were subsidised - they are in the main - and were using it as a stick to flog against rural living. I merely pointed out that people living in these schemes ARE paying for their water, people living in cities ARE NOT. Is that simple enough for you to understand??

People on this thread seem to have problems flowing simple discussions - kids would have a better level of comprehension

Explain please.

You told someone else to read the thread properly and at the same time you were misrepresenting my views through your selective quotation from one of my posts and thus accusing me of being narrow minded and of the view that my taxes should not be used for any Dublin infrastructure.

If you had actually read my post, as Mal_Adjusted fairly highlighted, you would have noticed I was countering an argument from Godge about city dwellers having to subsidise rural dwellers through their taxes.

I stated quiet clearly that by adopting that mindset then why should I support Dublin infrastructure or indeed sick, unemployed, education, etc since I did not directly benefit from any of the spending.
    Note I started the response about why should low crime areas having to support the policing of high crime areas.
    You missed that bit as well ?
    That should have been a bit of a hint as to the direction my reply was heading.
    Again as you would say, "Please, read first, then react". :rolleyes:

You actually said ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmayo View Post

Please, read first, then react

You took my quote out of context and then you lectured others about reading the thread.
    Did I claim that my taxes should or should not be used ?

What I did say in reponse to Godge was if people adopted his approach then why should I not adopt the above.
    Both approaches are stupid me fein, benefits no one in the long run and would result in a country of haves and have nots, and that would include within the urban areas.

I was countering an argument from Godge about city dwellers having to subsidise rural dwellers through their taxes

Ah, I see where you are coming from now, sorry about that. In fairness to Godge, the fact remains, city dwellers do subsidise rural dwellers. You should start up a thank you thread to all us city dwellers.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

yes. taxes are for the benefit of ALL society, not just where they were collected. it'd be like someone complaining that their taxes go to dole payments, or a childless person whinging that their taxes pay teachers

taxes are for the benefit of ALL society, that is true, but what happens if the cost of providing everything society wants exceeds the taxes raised? The problem with a low density sparsley populated country, much like communism, is that you eventually run out of other peoples money.
    I was referring to private housing as the majority of this thread seems to be

No getting away from that fact. The vast majority of people i know are extremely amused at the furore that "potential" water metering is having with urbanites and are amazed that everybody thinks free water is a god given right

50% of the tax take in this country comes from Dublin. So the one quarter of the population in Dublin pays half the taxes while the remaining three thirds of the population pays the other half.

do private houses in Dublin pay for their water?? Answer YES

do private houses in Dublin subsidies the cost of water (amoung other things) for people on group water schemes?? Answer YES

And this is not just a city dweller v rural dweller thing, I say this as someone from one of the more rural parts of the country.

Advertisement