Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

'Imogen' has now been added to our baby girl list of names.

Haven't heard that name for a while . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I think Rory is now top of the "Boy" list I have...

Hmm... that is now the only list I have :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

LordSutch wrote: »

I was almost Imogen :) Think it's a lovely name. Also on the list was Ingrid, if you're into "I" names!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Was on my list for number 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

My partner has a daughter called Imogen, lovely name, although everyone calls her Midge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

LordSutch, Imogen is a lovely name - but reminds me of the diarrhea med of the same name, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

positron wrote: »
    LordSutch, Imogen is a lovely name - but reminds me of the diarrhea med of the same name, but that's just me.

Isn't that immodium?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Pythia wrote: »
    Isn't that immodium?

Yeah, that too - probably the same thing though. :)

http://www.drugs.com/cons/imogen.html

Pippa for a girl?

Any thoughts? (its short for Phillipa).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I'm Irish and my wife is Chinese, she's 18 weeks(having the scan at 22) we're both convinced it's a boy and the only name we can think of is Oisin? Never thought we'd give the baby an Irish name but there ya go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

we've decided on Aoife but need a middle name, any suggestions on what would be nice with Aoife?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Marie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I'm Irish and my wife is Chinese, she's 18 weeks(having the scan at 22) we're both convinced it's a boy and the only name we can think of is Oisin? Never thought we'd give the baby an Irish name but there ya go.

I really like the name Oisin but its becoming increasingly popular. This year of the 7 baby boys born recently, three were called Oisin, two were called Tristan and two called Jack.

While I love the name just be careful your baby doesnt end up in classroom with ten other Oisins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Squiggler wrote: »
    Emme/Emmy is cute. My niece is called Emily and she used to call herself Emmy.

But I wonder what it would be like as a name for a grown woman...

Bit late responding to this post, but only started reading this thread now. My grandmother is Emma, but has always been known as Emmy (she's Dutch, though I'm not sure if that's a typical Dutch thing to change Emma into Emmy). Anyway, it works fine on her, doesn't sound like a childish name at all, when addressed to a 90-year-old! I think it helps a lot when it's said in a grown-up tone of voice. At the same time, I think it would fit quite nicely on a child as well.

On a separate note, I've always liked Emma and said that if I ever had a girl I would name her Emma for my grandmother (and mother and aunt who have it as a second name). Trouble is, over the years I've come across loads and loads of other Emmas, and a couple that both myself and the husband don't like at all, so Emma has been spoiled a bit for us. Bit sad about that, as I would have liked to have had a name with a family connection. It's also unlikely that a boy would get a name from the grandparents, as we don't like any of those names either. So much for good intentions to be traditional/sentimental!

So far, Amy and Sean have cropped up a few times. We'd like an Irish name, but will probably go for something that would be familiar outside Ireland as well, as I have an unusual surname and have always found it a pain in the backside to explain (both in Ireland and abroad).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Pippa for a girl?

Any thoughts? (its short for Phillipa).

I logged in here tonight to check if anyone else was thinking what we were thinking....we're expecting our third child and second girl in a few weeks time and have been trying for ages to find a girl's name we both like....then of course up pops Pippa in the Royal Wedding and we both really like it but are a bit concerned a lot of people may go for it now. What does anyone else think?

I really like Phillipa too though so I'd leave it at that for the first while before shortening I think.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

well, after much discission and finding out we are having a boy we have decided on Fintan Leon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

well, after much discission and finding out we are having a boy we have decided on Fintan Leon

I LOVE that! It's got such a strength about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Can say her second name now as another cousin of hers has the same second name: Catherine (shortened to Cathy). We know that this is our last child so have all the names picked from childhood (well one when I met her daddy first). I am tempted to give her a 4th name, it is probably too much but there has been a midwife that I want to thank for supporting us - is that a bad idea - have been thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

I love Pippa too I think it's gorgeous!:D But I'm having a boy :) My OH and I have decided on Joshua James however our parents have already started calling him Josh and he's not even born. Is this the price you have to pay when calling your son Joshua- that it will forever be shortened to Josh?? :rolleyes:

I'm also wondering whether to put Oliver as a third name or maybe that would be too much?? decisions decisions!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I love Pippa too I think it's gorgeous!:D But I'm having a boy :) My OH and I have decided on Joshua James however our parents have already started calling him Josh and he's not even born. Is this the price you have to pay when calling your son Joshua- that it will forever be shortened to Josh?? :rolleyes:

I'm also wondering whether to put Oliver as a third name or maybe that would be too much?? decisions decisions!!:D

No go for it!!! You can never have to many names.

I am 16 weeks but afraid to start thinking of names yet but dying to!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Can say her second name now as another cousin of hers has the same second name: Catherine (shortened to Cathy). We know that this is our last child so have all the names picked from childhood (well one when I met her daddy first). I am tempted to give her a 4th name, it is probably too much but there has been a midwife that I want to thank for supporting us - is that a bad idea - have been thinking about it.

I dont think it is a bad idea at all. If you want to then go for it. Her name will have a nice story to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

LessMass wrote: »
    I logged in here tonight to check if anyone else was thinking what we were thinking....we're expecting our third child and second girl in a few weeks time and have been trying for ages to find a girl's name we both like....then of course up pops Pippa in the Royal Wedding and we both really like it but are a bit concerned a lot of people may go for it now. What does anyone else think?

I really like Phillipa too though so I'd leave it at that for the first while before shortening I think.....

When someone says Pippa the first thing i think of is Pippa off home and away, I think with the queen to be sister then it makes Pippa more attractive.

I think calling your one year old daughter pip would be so cute (of course that may or may not stick) i remember calling my lady samantha spud up until she was 5 or 6,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

We are expecting a baby girl and we are calling her Saoirse. Its Irish for Freedom..:)

-Corkie- wrote: »
    We are expecting a baby girl and we are calling her Saoirse. Its Irish for Freedom..:)

Saoirse is a fantastic name :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

January wrote: »
    Saoirse is a fantastic name :D

Thanks!!. It is very nice I must admit as we want all our kids to have Irish names!!. Its not very common either..

Thanks!!. It is very nice I must admit as we want all our kids to have Irish names!!. Its not very common either..

We have two mammies of Saoirse's that we know of here :) Myself and another poster, they were born a month apart I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

January wrote: »
    We have two mammies of Saoirse's that we know of here :) Myself and another poster, they were born a month apart I think!

If I had a girl in there she would have been Saoirse- fab name :D

There's been quite a lot about the name Saoirse in the forum, it seems to be a very popular name amongst a few of the regulars here, so out of curiosity I Wikkied the name & its meaning > http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_Saoirse_mean

Interesting pronunciation, I always thought its was Saar-sha, but its actually Seer-sha. I wonder is Sorcha the male form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Fintan for a boy, i think its a beautiful name

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is currently one of the most common baby girls names in Ireland.

All our kids will have irish names too,we have a Dearbhail and a Caoimhe, Caoimhe nearly got ruled out because there seemed to be a surge in usage of the name a few years ago but it doesn't seem to be too common and we love the name:)

Advertisement