Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of Rolling Stock on Westport Line

Options
  • 19-10-2002 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

I have had to make 2 trips this month to Dublin and i am dismayed at the state of one of the rolling stock i used. I have had to endure two 4 hours journeys in this train.

It is a wooden interior and no eletronic doors. Its cold ugly and dirty looking. The first time i travelled on it was from dublin to castlebar. It was an evening train i had travelled up on a more modern train.

I got on it and found a seat. The seats were dirty looking. When we got moving the draft through the train was like a gale. It was freezing. The second thing was everytime we slowed down it was like a jet engine just after landing.A grinding noise. As for the WC you dont wanna know.

I made it through the journey (just about).

The second time was thursday morning. Again i am sure the same train. The wooden interior etc. The cold nipping my ankles. The same thing. The conductor said the carraige i sat in first was a little cold so try another one. I did , the difference was very little.

I tryed to get to sleep but the tannoy announcement at every station was up full blast like he was talking in croke park.

With the upgrading of the line surely they afford some good trains to run on the track. Its not that cold yet but i hate to be on that train in Janurary. As i might be depending on the results of a job interview i thought i bring this up here and perhaps an email to CIE as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have beenusing the Dublin Castlebar service for nigh on 10 years now. Usually they use a decent train but every now and again they take one of those crappy trains that are used on the Sligo line from Connolly. They are just filthy and bloody cold too. Is better travelling at the weekend, coz the newer trains usually run then.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Its time to take the bus!

I used to like using the train, but with trains you might not have a seat, "kids" are lightly to be running around, some ass holes might be drunk the whole way to dublin, people walking about or talking loud when trying to get to sleep, "tickets please"

most of the above might happen on the bus, but nearly allways happens on the train

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I get the train up and down every week to either castlerea or ballyhaunis and tbh the six o clock service is generally fine but the 12.55 one is a ****ing joke as is the sunday 15.30 and 16.30 service which are generally full before the train has made half the journey the fact that you pay 22.50 for this absolutely ****e service is a kick in the teeth

Advertisement