Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comprehensive Varadkar interview on the big transport plans (Pat Kenny Show)

• 05-05-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Thanks to Bullseye1 and Irish and Proud for the link (scroll down).

The new NDP should be published by the end of this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Can anyone summarise the key points he made?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was amazed that he actually seemed to have a decent knowledge of his brief compared to what the FF ministers had after *years* in the role. Even dropping in mention of Dunkettle needing upgrade works when the interchange was mentioned in passing by Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

some commuting stuff along with infrastructre:

He is a fan of the private busses and is very open to licence requests for new routes that are subsidy neutral. Sang praises ofthe swords express

At the same time - he said "he would not tolerate" cherry picking of the most profitable bus routes by private operators leaving the bad routes to the state run operators.

no plans for privitisation of dublin bus / bus eireann (if i heard that right?)

Integrated ticketing to finally come this year to dublin

regional airport subsidies to be cranked back gradually to a more manageable amount of regional airport - "theres an airport in every county on the western seaboard and each is undermining the survivability of the next "

very uncommited to the big Dublin rail projects - but not because he is not in favour in principle - its whether the cash can be found/ justified

Also mentioned that the dart airport spur cant be implemented on the back of weakening of services to malahide etc and also has to contend with the connolly station congestion

400million for the omagh/ derry motorway - not his baby so not his to cut, that'd be a north south matter for the taoiseach!!

Dublin bus subsidies have gone from a pitance to a right heap so they are for the chop over time

Also no eagerness to kill rail services which are being undermined somewhat by free/ cheap speedy motorways.

The cost of maintenance of the swish motorways though should be over time more reflected in more but smaller tolls ("60c a go" i think was mentioned) BUT he acknowledged that currently the motorist already pays huge money in taxes and vrt so its not somthing thats going to happen in the short term

all in all, no eagerness to do anything too hasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Add to that he wants the 3 road PPP schemes (N17/18, Rathnew/Newlands, & New Ross) to go ahead this year, but states that funding is an issue for PPPs relying on the public purse (implied that if these were toll roads there'd be less of a problem with finance).

Interview also available for download

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Completely agree with MYOB. More clarity and knowledge from Varadkar on his brief than any FF transport minister in recent years. Although we've no idea what he's going to do during his term of office (and as munchkin says, it looks like precious little in the short term) it's heartening that he knows what he's talking about and is talking straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Any mention of the Galway bypass in all of that? After Newlands and M11 gap it should be the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Any mention of the Galway bypass in all of that? After Newlands and M11 gap it should be the priority.
    Not that I heard.

I may have missed it as it was a fairly Long interview and I was trying to work at the same time!!
    There's loads of stuff on there that I didn't include as I only focused in when I hard stuff I was interested in, and rewinded if needed

What he did mention in passing was that they hope to have dun kettle sorted before the end of this governments term.

Edit: according to a quote on the roads forum, m18 Guam gort along with the M11 and new lands cross are the priorities to get financing and underway.

The general vibe though was that big ticket stuff for hundreds of millions and multiple billions is all depending on external finance and the focus is to try and get as much value for money as possible off the rest.

Not that I heard.

I may have missed it as it was a fairly Long interview and I was trying to work at the same time!!

No, he was specifically talking about the 3 projects that were supposed to start this year. GCOB is the 4th of the second wave of PPPs but there's no start date (that I've heard of) due to the court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

some commuting stuff along with infrastructre:

400million for the omagh/ derry motorway - not his baby so not his to cut, that'd be a north south matter for the taoiseach!!

I don't understand how a project like this in the currect climate can go ahead, i'm all for integration with the north but the economic benefit to the republic form this will be very little while at the same time important routes like the N20/M20 cork limerick road are not being mentioned.

Where is the British funding for these road projects??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

1huge1 wrote: »
    I don't understand how a project like this in the currect climate can go ahead, i'm all for integration with the north but the economic benefit to the republic form this will be very little while at the same time important routes like the N20/M20 cork limerick road are not being mentioned.

Where is the British funding for these road projects??

Well as far as I recall the idea was spilt the funding 50% so we'd put up €400 million and Westminster would put up the same.

As for economic benefit, well the area within 30km of Derry has a population of about 230,000 (this includes big chunks of East Donegal). Enabling faster access to Dublin can only have an economic benefit for businesses on both side of the Border.

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well as far as I recall the idea was spilt the funding 50% so we'd put up €400 million and Westminster would put up the same.

As for economic benefit, well the area within 30km of Derry has a population of about 230,000 (this includes big chunks of East Donegal). Enabling faster access to Dublin can only have an economic benefit for businesses on both side of the Border.
    Thanks for the speedy reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

1huge1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the speedy reply

I just had a quick look at the populations of the local councils in the North that the A5 will pass through. they have a combined population of 243,414 if you then add in population of Donegal you get over 390k -- I ignored population of Fermanagh and Monaghan though both will benefit no doubt as well due to improved access.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NITransport

Hmmm, should those who are in favour of this route breathe a sigh of relief or is this just Varadkar dodging the 400m euro question?

Since the previous DRD minister Conor Murphy said that the A5 will go ahead at all cost, even if funding is not forthcoming from the south. (At the expense of other NI projects) would this be an opportunity for the South to pull out?

Some may be interested in knowing that in today's Belfast Telegraph and then on BBC Newsline it was speculated that Sinn Fein will give up Education in favour of the Enterprise ministry swapped with the DUP. SF's pro NW agenda may see resources funnelled to getting FDI into the NW further increasing the need for the A5 DC. It is also widely anticipated that they will also retain DRD.

Hmmm, should those who are in favour of this route breathe a sigh of relief or is this just Varadkar dodging the 400m euro question?

Since the previous DRD minister Conor Murphy said that the A5 will go ahead at all cost, even if funding is not forthcoming from the south. (At the expense of other NI projects) would this be an opportunity for the South to pull out?

Some may be interested in knowing that in today's Belfast Telegraph and then on BBC Newsline it was speculated that Sinn Fein will give up Education in favour of the Enterprise ministry swapped with the DUP. SF's pro NW agenda may see resources funnelled to getting FDI into the NW further increasing the need for the A5 DC. It is also widely anticipated that they will also retain DRD.
    An opportunity to pull out perhaps, but I imagine as you say if Sinn Fein go for the industry ministry in Northern Ireland, then the Sinn Fein members of the Dail will put a lot of pressure on the government to keep this project going.

I got to be honest, if Northern Ireland says they will push this project through even without help from Ireland, then I can easily imagine Leo/Enda pulling out of this deal. My personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭purplepanda

antoobrien wrote: »
    Add to that he wants the 3 road PPP schemes (N17/18, Rathnew/Newlands, & New Ross) to go ahead this year, but states that funding is an issue for PPPs relying on the public purse (implied that if these were toll roads there'd be less of a problem with finance).

Interview also available for download

By New Ross does he mean the New Ross Bypass / Barrow Bridge project which was supposed to start after the Waterford Bridge / Bypass? :confused:

By New Ross does he mean the New Ross Bypass / Barrow Bridge project which was supposed to start after the Waterford Bridge / Bypass? :confused:

That's the one mentioned in new ppp list, so I presume so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 black diamond

Spanish company who built m6 offer to build Tuam gort motorway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 black diamond

From Twitter! Con tribune tom has full report supposely!

Spanish company who built m6 offer to build Tuam gort motorway!
    From Twitter! Con tribune tom has full report supposely!

It's in the Connacht Tribune today, details in the M17/18 thread. IIRC they hadn't originally tendered, so it may have to be re-tendered.

Advertisement