Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is that building not originally a 'Dutch Billy'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What does Dutch Billy mean?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hermy wrote: »
    What does Dutch Billy mean?

They were a type of building found all over Dublin before the Georgians - influenced by the Dutch style. There are very few examples still about, that did not have their characteristic curved tops 'flattened' or built up in the Georgian age.
    Some more info on them here:
    http://www.dublincivictrust.ie/buildings.php
    There was a great thread on archiseek.com about them, but the site seems to be down.

The dropped drainpipe on that photo looks like it could have been a 'Billy'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks Spurious. The archiseek.com website didn't load for me either.

While I'm here I'll post a few recent pics.

Apologies if this one was posted before...
    DSC00990_Small.jpg

DSC00991_Small.jpg

James Street Steel is gone a while now...
    DSC01036_Small.jpg

So too McCormacks next door...
    DSC01037_Small.jpg

I wonder does this qualify as a ghost sign...
    DSC01039_Small.jpg

Discount Electrical - a recently made ghost sign...
    DSC01044_Small.jpg

I think the Quill has ceased trading...
    DSC01223_Small.jpg

I used to work in Future Print - still seems strange that it is no more...
    DSC01253_Small.jpg

The Man of Achill - when did that close...
    DSC01254_Small.jpg

DSC01255_Small.jpg

A shop across the road...
    DSC01256_Small.jpg

And Jasons - again I'm not certain if this place is still on the go or not...
    DSC01266_Small.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Hmmm, I checked Christine Casey's fantastic and always interesting book: Dublin: the city within the Grand and Royal Canals... (full preview, pg.372)
    and she says:
    "Of the tall, brick 18th century terraces which flanked the church and concealed the medieval St Audoen, a single house survives (No. 17), now much altered and reduced to two stories.

So looks like it's not a Dutch Billy, so few of them left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

It hasn't been totally demolished anyway but the distinctive part was the shape at the top and of course the sign on it both of which are gone now. Tried to get a photo when passing today but couldn't in the car. Am cycling to work tomorrow so should have an opportunity then.

murphysf.jpg

Can't get it to load the correct way. Was on the same side this morning so it's a bit too close to see the full effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Off Cork St you mean? That's Weavers Square, not sure what it was put I'll ask my mam when shes home later.

My mam thinks it might be a tenter weaving factory.
    Hermy wrote: »
    The Man of Achill - when did that close...
    DSC01254_Small.jpg

DSC01255_Small.jpg

A shop across the road...
    DSC01256_Small.jpg

I'm confident Man Of Achill isn't closed too long, my mam think it's shut ages. 4 years maybe.

Flemings is closed 5 years me and my mam think, the owner had a bit of a drink problem afaik. Next down was a Ghost Sign from an old furniture shop, which is now a Ghost Sign from the old Post Office which has moved up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I think the 'LSE' was a garage/petrol premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭medicsie

Spotted a few along Sir John Rogerson's Quay last week, will lash the pics up at some point over the weekend.

Hope this hasn't been posted before.
    Legg Brothers on Hill Street.
    They were a sawmills based on Grenville Street, which runs to the rear.
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=8918

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a ghost sign has been partially revealed at the side of the strand house at the 5 lamps. next time im around ill try get a snap

I instructed the brother to get it today. :)
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=8937

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Hi,

Found something on the website of a demolition company who say that Dublin City Council had issued it with a Dangerous Buildings Notice. Link

Such a pity, always loved that little building!

Seriously? I'm delighted it's gone at last-it totally ruined that side of High St.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.343112,-6.273751&spn=0,0.003428&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.343297,-6.273972&panoid=0UVegWz3oKJzYssbReH8uQ&cbp=12,353.21,,0,-13.24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Arbour Hill.. Beside the Belfry Pub.

I'm guessing with the old six digit phone number this place has been out of business for some time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Its sad looking. If there was a coat of paint over the whole lot, graffiti + all, it may help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

boosh_fan wrote: »
    good to see this thread is awake again - it's one of my favourites

Flamingo on Stephen Street Lr. Took this back in Sept 10. It is captured on Streetview too though

dsc05393zi.jpg

Flamingo are still going, they are now in Fashion City, Ballymount. And own a few warehouses in it too.

I remember that place when I was a kid, when I would be working with the Ould Man during the school holidays. The Ould Man worked just around the corner in St. Williams St and we used to go around ther for supplies of various things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Got these 2 this morning while driving around. 1st one was a few doors down from google and the other was just before the bridge over the canal on the old bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

latenia wrote: »

Think the removal of all its neigbouring buildings over the last 60 years ruined that side of high street, in fact it ruined both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Recently uncovered in Thomas Street.

DSCF4202.jpg

Talbot Street. the place is a slot machines hall now

rsz_me_and_gar_x_105.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Battersby's Auctions on Harcourt Street

20110314173133.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kalulu

spurious wrote: »
    Up near the Black Church there's a sign for a hotel on one of the gables.
    Along Talbot St., many of the original buildings have ghost signs on their upper floors.
    The hotel sign near the black church was done before Xmas for a movie set so it might not count as a ghost? The little girl on a gable opposite the George bar (next to fabulous WhyGoBald sign) is from an art project in the 90s when it and others travelled to Mostar to get real war wounds/ distressed finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I've been meanng to take a photo of this sign for quite a while. It's on Lower Rathmines Road above the Barnados charity shop.

GhostSign1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Are you absolutely sure that Imelda's is gone? I was going to drop in this afternoon to get my hair styled. The things she can do with a curling thongs - she's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Odd thing is, I thought that sign for Imelda Desmond was on St Anne's Street in the 80s....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Chuck Norris on camden street. (there must be some puns or chuck norris jokes for this?)

156954.jpg

an post on townsend steet/hawkins street
    rsz_003.jpg

maxwell travel on hawkins street
    rsz_004.jpg

newsagents on poolbeg street
    rsz_005.jpg

get stuffed deli on tara street
    rsz_006.jpg

harolds cross hire and burke brothers next door, on harolds cross road
    rsz_007.jpg

maireads deli (and mrs. ofthefleet) on terenure road north
    rsz_008.jpg

not such a ghost sign but a ghost building, quinlans on terenure road north
    rsz_009.jpg

i hope mairt doesnt mind ghost buildings in the thread of his creation:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i don't know if this is up already, sorry if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fantastic thread.

What about that pub "adifferentkettleoffishaltogether" on the North Quays? Whenever I've walked past it it always seems to be closed, has it gone under?

Surely a candidate if that is the case.

Advertisement