Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good or bad deal ?

• 28-04-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Well one of the lads I know is trying to sell me his car before he goes to Australia!

A 03' VW Golf GT-TDI (150 bhp)

132k miles - timing belt kit has been changed at about 120k

The car is in good condition with GT alloys etc.

No tax and NCT to August 2012

He is asking for 4500 and wants it sold in the next week or two so he can pay for his visa

Is this a good deal or not? What price would you put on the car?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't give half that for it, but people do still pay well over the odds for Mk4 Golf diesels. I reckon they're particularly poor value for money - i'd look at something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Anan1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't give half that for it, but people do still pay well over the odds for Mk4 Golf diesels. I reckon they're particularly poor value for money - i'd look at something else.

Why?

I wouldn't give 4.5k either, but for 3000 and something they are grand.Especially if its been looked after and all the things that need doing like timing belt etc have been done.

They are quick, tuneable to 190bhp for 400 euro, great on fuel,very reliable, good to drive.

For 3.8k it would be a good deal if you dont need to buy stuff for it, eg tyres which they eat, bushings which they go through like crazy etc.

Anan1 show me where you can get a fast, reliable, decent on fuel, 03 diesel, medium size car for that price?

I would like to see an alternative for that price, in that class range, eg focus, astra etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Squall19 wrote: »
    Anan1 show me where you can get a fast, reliable, decent on fuel, 03 diesel, medium size car for that price?

An alternative doesnt necessarily have to be an 03.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

ohhhhhhhh it's A TDI....

An alternative doesnt necessarily have to be an 03.

Your right it doesn't

But it rules out the 99 bmw diesel reply.

• Advertisement

Shane732 wrote: »
    ohhhhhhhh it's A TDI....

Anything smart to add?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Anything smart to add?

...Is it your car?

pajero12 wrote: »
    ...Is it your car?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭voteforpedro

2,750 max and thats if you are doing mega mileage per year

So show me an alternative at 2750 then?

I would like to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I would like to see it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2103332
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2112875

200k miles bmw and a 2.4 diesel ( suppose to be a horrible, heavy on juice engine btw ) 180k miles big heavy Volvo.

Nice clean alternatives:D

200k miles bmw and a 2.4 diesel ( suppose to be a horrible, heavy on juice engine btw ) 180k miles big heavy Volvo.

Nice clean alternatives:D

The Golf is yours isn't it?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2112949

Personally I wouldn't touch off a Golf, there's something so boring and mundane about them. Also, the VAG cars I've owned were ****e and soulless cars, I'd think outside the box if I was in your position!

ottostreet wrote: »
    The Golf is yours isn't it?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2112949

Personally I wouldn't touch off a Golf, there's something so boring and mundane about them. Also, the VAG cars I've owned were ****e and soulless cars, I'd think outside the box if I was in your position!

The Golf 150bhp wouldn't be half as boring as that mondeo above:D

About 90bhp in that yoke lol.A carina lean burn would pull harder:D

Think outside the box lol, a 90bhp mondeo, a 200k bmw 3 series diesel and a big Volvo 2.4 with huge miles, i prefer my box thank you:p

Golf 150bhp, is quick, frugal, handles well, reliable, tuneable.I hate seeing people bash good cars for the sake of it, thats all.I am the same with Honda's, Audi's or whatever, a good car is a good car and the Golf 150bhp is one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Anything smart to add?

I was going for smart with that.

You can get a Fiat 500 that will 0-60 in 7.9. Speed is relative.

Since when is a car that will 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds fast?

Think outside the box lol, a 90bhp mondeo, a 200k bmw 3 series diesel and a big Volvo 2.4 with huge miles, i prefer my box thank you:p

Golf 150bhp, is quick, frugal, handles well, reliable, tuneable.I hate seeing people bash good cars for the sake of it, thats all.I am the same with Honda's, Audi's or whatever, a good car is a good car and the Golf 150bhp is one.

Hard to get a nice diesel for 2750 (one that i'd like anyway)...When I go back to diesel, I'm getting a 530d m-sport, but youre not gonna get one for that money...I'd still rather buy anything that wasn't a Golf though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Just a couple of things. Firstly, the Mk 4 Golf does NOT handle well. It's a poor handling car, soggy with no feedback.
    Secondly, you could get a Mk 4 GTi with the same bhp with less miles for less than half the price of that overpriced car. It's quicker than the diesel (OK, by less than half a second, but quicker is quicker), waaaaaayyyy quieter than that coarse lump, and way more tunable.
    In fact, I know a guy who had that engine in an S3, tuned to around 340bhp.
    Having said all that, I still wouldn't buy one. But that's me. You could get something like a T-Sport Corolla if you wanted a quick hatch for around that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

For some reason, I love these!

Saab 9-3 :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2109711

Shane732 wrote: »
    I was going for smart with that.

You can get a Fiat 500 that will 0-60 in 7.9. Speed is relative.

Since when is a car that will 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds fast?

How much is that Fiat?

They will be doing 7's with a map, thats fast by my standards.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Just a couple of things. Firstly, the Mk 4 Golf does NOT handle well. It's a poor handling car, soggy with no feedback.
    Secondly, you could get a Mk 4 GTi with the same bhp with less miles for less than half the price of that overpriced car. It's quicker than the diesel (OK, by less than half a second, but quicker is quicker), waaaaaayyyy quieter than that coarse lump, and way more tunable.
    In fact, I know a guy who had that engine in an S3, tuned to around 340bhp.
    Having said all that, I still wouldn't buy one. But that's me. You could get something like a T-Sport Corolla if you wanted a quick hatch for around that money.

So find me your Mk 4 gti for 1.5k.

.5 seconds is nothing, diesel probably takes it after that who knows.

I know a guy with a 500bhp evo, so what? You can make anything fast with money.

Corolla is a good alternative, i agree.I like them, would have liked one of them myself, great engine and cheap now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Corolla is a good alternative, i agree.I like them, would have liked one of them myself, great engine and cheap now as well.

guys, can we all not get along? your boring me

For some reason, I love these!

Saab 9-3 :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2109711

Thats a deal.

Buy that OP:D

**** the golf:P

Diesel will run out of steam quicker. You started the talk about upgrading, by saying "the Golf will make 190bhp easily", so will the petrol, and more. So that point is null and void.
    Corolla is more reliable, quicker, better handling. Celica's can be had for similar money. Properly good looking, proper handling, quick, reliable, very good to drive, different league to a Golf Mk 4.

Diesel will run out of steam quicker. You started the talk about upgrading, by saying "the Golf will make 190bhp easily", so will the petrol, and more. So that point is null and void.
    Corolla is more reliable, quicker, better handling. Celica's can be had for similar money. Properly good looking, proper handling, quick, reliable, very good to drive, different league to a Golf Mk 4.

Diesel Golf is good for what is, reliable, quick, good on fuel etc.

Its not a performance car, but you get your mpg with a bit of speed, thats important to alot of people I would say.Of course if you dont care about running costs then of course you can find much better cars like the one's you have mentioned.

Its not a performance car, but you get your mpg with a bit of speed, thats important to alot of people I would say.Of course if you dont care about running costs then of course you can find much better cars like the one's you have mentioned.

Golf 150bhp diesel's is one of the best hatchbacks of that diesel generation and that's a fact.Thats what im trying to put across

Fair point. But my point is that I wouldn't over pay for one. €4500 is a lot I reckon.

Think of the great petrol cars that can be had for 1-2k, versus paying double that for a remotely decent diesel.

Now think of the amount of petrol that can be bought for the 1-2k saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Mark IV Golfs are absolutely not renowned for their reliability, I don't know where you're getting that from but they're just not, end of. The gearbox would be a major concern for me at that age and mileage. I heard one mechanic say that they were made of chocolate. :D I'd also worry about electrics, window regulators and the state of the suspension.

Another concern of mine would be whether or not it is actually 150bhp or just badged that way. I knew a guy who bought one of these from a back yard salesman only to find out later on that it barely had 115bhp so that is something to consider. You can check the genuine power on the bootlid hatch AFAIK so just do yourself a favour and have a look see. Other than that it might be fine and the engine isn't a bad one really. It's crude and noisy but it's got some genuinely useful poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭voteforpedro

I would like to see it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2027562
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2085583

unless you are doing more than 20000 miles per year you may as well go for petrol

• Advertisement
Advertisement