Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I get to play Battlefield 3 tomorrow. What do you want to know?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Here's the shocker.... no dedicated LAN support.
    Same old same old!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

DeVore wrote: »
    It sure looked like BF2 ... lots of tanks, APC's, jets...They acknowledged jets would be in there but didnt say what kind... they did talk about how tricky it had been to balance jets against infantry and the answer was illuminating. They said if they had made it realistic, the ground forces havent a chance, as in real life, so they explicitly recognised that they were making a game, not a simulator which meant to be precise and representative... while games should be fun and enjoyable so they were clear that realism in the numbers was sacraficed for enjoyability and entertainment. Which in my mind is a GOOD thing.

DeV.

frakkin a$$holes..i's pretty easy to balance the jets...have some of them strictly air to air with no bombs and making the bombers have extremely limited air to air missiles...
    it will encourage pilots to attach the bombers etc and not keep pounding the ground units for cheap kills..
    By the sounds of it I reckon BF3 is not going to be anything like BF2 and basically just a bigger version of Medal of Honour /Bad Company with jets thrown into it as an afterthought..
    No dedicated lan support...bunch of prícks..
    One good thing though is it's fairl obvious that the console versions are gonna suck big time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Nice way to get more traffic to the site :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Meh... I'm willing to bet we dwarf them heheh, but its nice to see it get out to he community. I'm writing a review at the moment and I have a bunch of pics for you too.

DeV.

• Advertisement

I'm writing a review at the moment and I have a bunch of pics for you too.

DeV.

christ man..hurry the frak up..whaddya using? typewriter and scanner? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Auvers wrote: »
    nnnnnnnoooooooooo

looks like Battlefield has been consolized, its going to be more BC2\COD than BF2 :(
    This may just be in single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Here's the shocker.... no dedicated LAN support. The lan has to have connection out to the interweb. He said would you be able to rent dedicated servers, "like before" ... which i hope makes sense to you.
    Gah. No surprise there. At least there'll be some kind of dedicated servers, I suppose, and not some P2P sh|te. Agree with Kharn.
    There was one thing I loved, their destruction physics are amazing, you can tear down a 5 storey hotel to the ground, to rubble, or you can blow about a 1/6th of a breezeblock away from a wall to get a shot or to reveal an enemy in cover.
    Cool. Will look forward to that. The TiG lads, and a few others, know of my, erm... fascination with C4 and putting C4 onto jeeps, tanks, planes, choppers, buildings, bridges, bomb-sites, quad bikes, etc :D
    They acknowledged jets would be in there but didnt say what kind...
    Well, jets = large maps, so yippee on that point.

Lads just have one or two queries, not entirely related to BF3 but tie in, and i also don't want to start another thread.

My laptop's lifespan has come to an end(after 1 year and 4mths :mad:) and considering I got nearly 4 years from my PC(which I'm back using) I've decided I'm not wasting money on another laptop again so I'm going to get a new desktop.

Does anyone here have any experience using a joypad on the PC?.
    I'd consider doing some gaming on it but I can't be arsed trying to adapt to a keyboard and mouse.
    Do joypads have any lag or major disadvantages you wouldn't get on a console?

I have a HD, could I avoid getting a decent screen and hook the PC up to the HD through a HDMI and get as good of a picture as I do from my PS3?.
    Will the HD have any disadvantages over a monitor?(Ive hooked up my laptop through the HDMI watching games on RTE and it looked fairly crap)

Lastly, how does one learn the necessary specs for playing games?, reading them off a box leaves me none the wiser, my laptop had decent RAM, and a Radeon HD 4200 which i taught would be ok to play games(at low settings) and it wouldn't run the Arma demo on the lowest settings.

I don't want to splash out on a desktop again and find it's not capable of playing anything at a decent level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Lads just have one or two queries, not entirely related to BF3 but tie in, and i also don't want to start another thread.

My laptop's lifespan has come to an end(after 1 year and 4mths :mad:) and considering I got nearly 4 years from my PC(which I'm back using) I've decided I'm not wasting money on another laptop again so I'm going to get a new desktop.

I'd consider doing some gaming on it but I can't be arsed trying to adapt to a keyboard and mouse.

I have a HD, could I avoid getting a decent screen and hook the PC up to the HD through a HDMI and get as good of a picture as I do from my PS3?.
    Will the HD have any disadvantages over a monitor?(Ive hooked up my laptop through the HDMI watching games on RTE and it looked fairly crap)

Lastly, how does one learn the necessary specs for playing games?, reading them off a box leaves me none the wiser, my laptop had decent RAM, and a Radeon HD 4200 which i taught would be ok to play games(at low settings) and it wouldn't run the Arma demo on the lowest settings.

I don't want to splash out on a desktop again and find it's not capable of playing anything at a decent level.

I was toying with the idea of putting up a sticky for those building a PC for BF3, since there's no two ways about it, the console edition is a cutdown version, no fancy lighting, no fancy shadows, smaller maps, smaller player count, lower resolution etc.

Might as well address some basic points here then.

If it can run BC2 happily it should run BF3 happily according to Dice.

In your case, a Radeon 4200 was the lowest end of 2 generations ago. They're meant for barely running Wordpad and basic movie playback. To give a comparison between that and a current video card, the 4200 manages 40 GFlops of processing power, a current mid range card, the 6850 manages up to 1488 GFlops.

As for the PC, if it's at least got a quad core processor, you can probably put a decent video card in there and massively improve it's gaming potential. Post the specs of the PC and more detailed advice is possible.

As for connecting via HDMI, most video cards these days come with HDMI out, and you'll get better image quality than the PS3 thanks to proper and higher levels of anti-aliasing.

Gamepad wise, forget it. There's no auto-aim on PCs, and the faster and more accurate mouse users will just make it a miserable experience for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

You can buy a joypad for the PC, just plug it into USB and off you go

But as the other guy said, you'll get mashed online, keyboard and mouse takes less than a week to learn (I've seen plenty of consolers switch)

As for a PC, if you aren't in the know, then don't read specs they will mean nothing. You pick a budget, (e.g. PC for BF3 without monitor, starting at 550 euros) then go to the building and upgrading forum and they will spec a gaming PC for you to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Spear wrote: »
    Gamepad wise, forget it. There's no auto-aim on PCs, and the faster and more accurate mouse users will just make it a miserable experience for you.
    Ignore him. Get a gamepad, and tell us your online username, and what server you are on, so we can all get some knife-in-your-back practise :P

the_syco wrote: »
    Ignore him. Get a gamepad, and tell us your online username, and what server you are on, so we can all get some knife-in-your-back practise :P

+1
    After that get one of those roller ball mice so you can adapt to the laser mice....slowly though!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh someone mentioned about map sizes?? They demoed a few maps which went from interior fighting to huge desert vistas. They said they wanted the feeling of epicness about the levels... they did look big to me for sure.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

If it can run BC2 happily it should run BF3 happily according to Dice.

I've read that before - it'll be interesting to see if it holds true. They'd need to do a lot of optimising for 64 players with air and ground vehicles on larger, more destructible maps to run similarly to the 32 player shoebox maps in BC2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

seyeM wrote: »
    I've read that before - it'll be interesting to see if it holds true. They'd need to do a lot of optimising for 64 players with air and ground vehicles on larger, more destructible maps to run similarly to the 32 player shoebox maps in BC2.

I'm skeptical of it myself. They've had 18 months to optimize, and they've cut out the DX9 path, and made it DX10/11 only, which can't hurt, but increased destruction, map size and player count can only cost resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Id say id definitely need to upgrade to a quad core or something with all that even more destructible stuff. As it stands my fps can drop into the 30s and 20s with my dual-core e7200, no matter what graphics or resolution i use (in BC2).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Sweet spot for gaming rigs is roughly ~€800 excluding peripherals. If you can afford that your can get a really nice rig that will handle everything you throw at, no compromises at 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just happy, so happy that one thing is deffenetly going in - destructible environment!

Now I hope there will be squad system like in bc2. It makes playing with friends so much better.

Hardcore fans hate bc2, but I love it. I played bf2 and I can't say it was so epic... It was good, but not epic. So if bf3 will have bc2 flavour then I will be happy enough.

LAN, dedicated servers etc is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

No, nothing rude, just wondering about things such as why they pander to the selfish and unproductive elements of the player base by continuing to provide a sniper class in a team based multiplayer game. Or why they botched the PC release of BF1943.

Hey, I happen to be a very good team sniper, thank you very much. We aren't all selfish morons worrying about KD.

• Advertisement

I hate people who hate snipers...more importantly I hate people who complain snipers don't know how to play a game properly, then spawn on me where I'm hidden behind an enemy location and proceed to fire full auto at the enemy thus giving away our position asap thus losing an invaluable spawn point.
    True they are people out there who don't know how to properly use the sniper class...but there's way more frakking morons out there who don't know how to use the sniper players in their team to their advantage.
    There's a reason you were able to capture that base with no problems..mostly because a) I spotted the enemy for you and b) I shot the fúckers who were creeping up behind you for a sneaky knife kill.

Great laugh listening to my clan mates when they're thinking tag and boom...headshot :D...cue torrent of abuse my way.
    But woe betide anyone in my squad spawning on me and going all rambo asap..they get a bollicking..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Yeah, its ridiculous how difficult it can be to snipe as part of a squad of random players.

Never ceases to amaze me how much difficulty some people have grasping the concept of a sniper wanting to be invisible until he takes the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    spawn on me where I'm hidden behind an enemy location and proceed to fire full auto at the enemy thus giving away our position asap thus losing an invaluable spawn point.

Yes, funny.

They'll stand right beside you. The only way is to make your own squad.

EA have already found a new use for the FB 2.0 engine.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/03/23/eala-frostbite-2-game.aspx

although they say unannounced I suspect it's MoH2.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

whats the pc requirements

EA have already found a new use for the FB 2.0 engine.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/03/23/eala-frostbite-2-game.aspx

although they say unannounced I suspect it's MoH2.

It's a third person though.... could be something entirely new.

It's a third person though.... could be something entirely new.

Good point, I overlooked that. Makes me genuinely curious as to what it is then. The FB engine isn't exactly modding friendly or too portable, so they wouldn't throw an inexperienced team at it, or waste the effort and resources on a franchise that didn't warrant it. There was a third person C&C shooter canned a while back, maybe a second go at that?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

whats the pc requirements

Nothing solid yet but apparently the devs have said that if you can run BC2 comfortably you can run BF3.

Advertisement