Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would a man want wife and children?

Options
  • 23-04-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

In this day and age why would a man want to have children? Those are very costly expenses. The money you save by not having a wife and children allows me to live like a playboy 3-4 weeks each year in a tropical place.

Why would anyone give that up to start a family. Please do tell.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You talk like a man who makes his own sandwiches ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

MarkR wrote: »
    You talk like a man who makes his own sandwiches ...
    I don't eat sandwiches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't know.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Didnt know Peter Stringfellow was a boardie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

For 3-4 weeks a year you can keep your playboy lifestyle.<br />
    <br />
    If you manage to find a way to live like a playboy 52 weeks of the year only by staying single then let me know. Meantime I'll continue looking.

• Advertisement

fleet wrote: »
    For 3-4 weeks a year you can keep your playboy lifestyle.

If you manage to find a way to live 52 weeks of the year only by staying single then let me know. Meantime I'll continue looking.
    Throw in the occasional hookers for good measure and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

whiteonion wrote: »
    In this day and age why would a man want to have children? Those are very costly expenses. The money you save by not having a wife and children allows me to live like a playboy 3-4 weeks each year in a tropical place.

You said on another thread that you earn less than 25k per year SO how can you say that you live the life of a playboy.
    You can hardly afford a wife and children maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

3 - 4 weeks of living it up and then the rest of the year filled in busily trolling on boards.ie.

Yes , you make a fine argument for the single life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

maybe he means a life READING Playboy..

I found if you cut down on useless expenses you can save €10k per year. I have only 7 years to go until i can permanently move to a poor country and live there as a playboy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Your genetic makeup is a small part of your identity. More important are your ideas, beliefs, manners, and stories. All of these things will be taken up by your child and then changed around. Your child will never be a clone of yourself, fortunately, but instead will be a new variation of you and the other people that raise him or her. Its a great emotional & proud feeling to see your children growing up and leading good mature happy lifes & the cycle continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

realies wrote: »
    Your genetic makeup is a small part of your identity. More important are your ideas, beliefs, manners, and stories. All of these things will be taken up by your child and then changed around. Your child will never be a clone of yourself, fortunately, but instead will be a new variation of you and the other people that raise him or her. Its a great emotional & proud feeling to see your children growing up and leading good mature happy lifes & the cycle continues.

And you never know when you might need a kidney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm so sure the OP got banned recently.

Must of been a wonderful dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Happiness and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

realies wrote: »

Well put, I wonder if the OP is 60 and alone will the playboy lifestyle-4 weeks in wexford- still seem as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

OK whiteonion - give us your costings and the locations you have been in.

The singleton lifestyle is not something that gets discussed in the Gentlemens Club.

I do know a guy who chucked in Ireland a few years back and moved to Larvia and a divorced guy who has moved to Poland.

Now -it would not be for me (too late/divorced 2 kids) but - child-free was something people did before either marrying late or not at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why does a cost for something have to make it a burden?

Sure there's a cost for you to yourself, are you then your own burden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I think it is important to realise that it is not just women who have a biological ticking clock, men have one too I beleive. It probably isn't that obvious and can probably blind side you like a hurley to the side of the head. There is an intense biological drive to pair up and have children for an awful lot of people.

To make a conscious decision to marry and have kids is not so extraordinary either. Sure there is a massive financial and emotional cost to having a wife and children but I think the benefits will far outweigh this. It is possible to have the best of both, for a while anyway. There is tremendous freedom to being single and living the playboy lifestyle. However, all those Thai hookers and one night stands will not comfort you when you are sitting alone in your bachelor pad when your world is falling apart around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I found if you cut down on useless expenses you can save €10k per year. I have only 7 years to go until i can permanently move to a poor country and live there as a playboy.

I do hope they have internet there
    I would hate to miss out on your useful threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Because some men like to watch their wives grow fat and see their kids emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It's like having Bubbles back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I don't eat sandwiches.

Some kind of worldwide conspiracy to remove the true value of nutrition by placing food between two slices of bread i assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Barrythe chopper

Dude you be trollin.
    But seriously having a wife would be awesome dont you think? to have another person who loves you and needs you and you her as well, someone who will support you, to feel that connection with a fellow person why wouldnt you want to experience that.
    Also the whole meaning of life is to have kids and help that little person grow and become the best person it can become.
    I have a little 11 year old cousin who loves me and i dont know of any better feeling in the world than helping her and being apart of her life.
    Id choose that life than being a playboy anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The combined experience of cultivating a long term relationship and the success of copulating and passing your genes onto the next generation is a profound and rewarding experience.
    Sex, drugs and rock'n'roll are fleeting pleasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP,

You sound exactly like one of my friends, never had much luck with women over the teenage years, played consoles most of the time. Majorly into being in his room all the time.

Then he had the opportunity to travel to thailand with another friend, and he went. Everything was cheap so he lived 'like a king' but that also brought the seedier side of things, I believe he had a 'girlfriend' while he was there.

He came back raving about the place wanting to live there, but realistically he was paying women for sex and not developing that relationships or that side of the human condition. Ive been to Thailand and done some fantastic things but also witnessed the seedier side of it. Not for me at all.

Luckily this guy came back and amazingly met someone, theyve been together maybe 2 years now. Im happy for him.

By the way you cant 'live like a king' on 10K very long. Best of luck with your expedition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Biological imperative.
    /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

The census form would be easy to fill in !

Just one sad, lonely, bitter, old man. (with STD's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I woke up this morning to the sound of 4 happy children laughing and screaming and stuffing their faces with easter eggs.

Priceless:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I think it is important to realise that it is not just women who have a biological ticking clock, men have one too I beleive. It probably isn't that obvious and can probably blind side you like a hurley to the side of the head. There is an intense biological drive to pair up and have children for an awful lot of people.

To make a conscious decision to marry and have kids is not so extraordinary either. Sure there is a massive financial and emotional cost to having a wife and children but I think the benefits will far outweigh this. It is possible to have the best of both, for a while anyway. There is tremendous freedom to being single and living the playboy lifestyle. However, all those Thai hookers and one night stands will not comfort you when you are sitting alone in your bachelor pad when your world is falling apart around you.
    Theoretically men can have kids pretty much up until they die. Whether its a good idea to have kids later in life is another story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

I think the real question is, why would anyone want to start a family with you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement