Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C16 - The Waiting Room.

Options
  • 16-02-2011 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

Well with March looking like its going to be the last intake for a while or maybe forever :mad:, that leaves a lot of us C16ers in limbo.

Nothing more we can do but take a seat and wait for news on recruitment, the budget or Dear John's :(. I just hope they let us know asap.

With hope fading fast it looks like its back to be boring day jobs for those of us in the waiting room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Or life on the dole continues for some of us - but chin up - it aint over till the fat lady says so, lol - I know its looking more likely but until you have the paper in your hand telling you it's over then it ain't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Well with March looking like its going to be the last intake for a while or maybe forever :mad:, that leaves a lot of us C16ers in limbo.

Nothing more we can do but take a seat and wait for news on recruitment, the budget or Dear John's :(. I just hope they let us know asap.

With hope fading fast it looks like its back to be boring day jobs for those of us in the waiting room.

Hey Gee, it will start up again, just not on the scale it has done, or maybe not for a couple of years, Police officers retire, quit, or shoved out the door all the time. Police forces require younger people (the biggest negative against me) all the time, so it will start again. Just keep your ear to the ground, and the hope in your heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Hey Gee, it will start up again, just not on the scale it has done, or maybe not for a couple of years, Police officers retire, quit, or shoved out the door all the time. Police forces require younger people (the biggest negative against me) all the time, so it will start again. Just keep your ear to the ground, and the hope in your heart.

This is something like my 8th attempt - couldnt face it all again.

Friend of mine has tried 9 or more times, he passed his AC but was given a dear john anyway also. The worst part of it though was he had a lower score than me and I had received my dear john first. It was another two weeks before he got his.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Don't be giving up... your time will come and it will all have been worth it!!!

• Advertisement

fefe5 wrote: »
    Don't be giving up... your time will come and it will all have been worth it!!!

Yep fefe I second that. I wont give up until I'm pushing up the daisies or collecting my bus pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Yep fefe I second that. I wont give up until I'm pushing up the daisies or collecting my bus pass.

Dont give up folks. This was my first attempt. I cant imagine there being another campaign and not giving it another try. :cool:

Now that all offers for March have been made, we could be waiting around for sometime. That is if the Dear Johns dont get us first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 funkymonkey1

Hi Guys, in the same position as everyone else.
    Got the all clear for my medical in mid-november, have heard nothing since.
    Does anyone know how to go about finding either your merit number or whether or not the vetting has cleared?
    Any help would be much appreciated,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 howya12

Hi Funky,

I have PM'd you the numbers you were after.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mal4893

I'm fed up waiting! I don't know about the rest of the C16 people but I can't wait to find out one way or the other what's happening! It's just dragging on and on and on! We need closure ASAP and good news would be nice!!! Hint hint appointments!!!:D

mal4893 wrote: »
    I'm fed up waiting! I don't know about the rest of the C16 people but I can't wait to find out one way or the other what's happening! It's just dragging on and on and on! We need closure ASAP and good news would be nice!!! Hint hint appointments!!!:D

amen to that

Hopefully with all the time wasters pulling out, that will work in our favour. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

Hopefully with all the time wasters pulling out, that will work in our favour. :pac:

time wasters...? who's that, the person who weighted it up on day one and pulled the plug,bet they never thought they'd be the "one", better now than to go into a career and not give 100%...
    or sorry, you must mean the guy who decided it was better for the security of his family not to go ahead, hmmm...

time wasters...? who's that, the person who weighted it up on day one and pulled the plug,bet they never thought they'd be the "one", better now than to go into a career and not give 100%...
    or sorry, you must mean the guy who decided it was better for the security of his family not to go ahead, hmmm...

Are security concerns something new? Nope.

People should weight up their issues and concerns before costing time and money with their applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

Are security concerns something new? Nope.

People should weight up their issues and concerns before costing time and money with their applications.

Peoples individual security issues can change from day to day...

the application / recruitment process starts with filling out the initial form then completing 2 years at GV, who knows, somebody might realise during the AC, "this isn't for me", maybe they suddenly feel, " i'm not happy carrying a gun, i thought i would be, but i'm not"...
    you can change your mind at any stage along the way, your entitled to...

i understand what your saying, i've vetting outstanding 2 years, these people didn't keep me out of GV, vetting "on-going" did...

Peoples individual security issues can change from day to day...

the application / recruitment process starts with filling out the initial form then completing 2 years at GV, who knows, somebody might realise during the AC, "this isn't for me", maybe they suddenly feel, " i'm not happy carrying a gun, i thought i would be, but i'm not"...
    you can change your mind at any stage along the way, your entitled to...

i understand what your saying, i've vetting outstanding 2 years, these people didn't keep me out of GV, vetting "on-going" did...

I'm not saying people can't change their minds during the IST/AC stages, but by the time they reach Medicals and vetting they should be 100% sure they want the job. Look at the time and money spent on Medicals, pca's, vetting and induction days (uniforms etc).

Maybe they should charge people a fee for the vetting process. That might make people decide whats best before them before it's too far down the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭princess deity

I'm not saying people can't change their minds during the IST/AC stages, but by the time they reach Medicals and vetting they should be 100% sure they want the job. Look at the time and money spent on Medicals, pca's, vetting and induction days (uniforms etc).

Maybe they should charge people a fee for the vetting process. That might make people decide whats best before them before it's too far down the line?

Ok just to start im not looking for an argument here. I totally agree with rookie, peoples circumstances do change and the security threat sometimes can become an overwhelming worry especially when one has a family to care for. Ok the threat didnt just appear out of nowhere, its been about for a long long time but sometimes when a dream is made into a reality a whole other picture can appear and then one has to live in the real world.

Dont get me wrong you are allowed your opinion (whole point of a forum) But its very easy to stand on the side lines and wag your finger, giving out about a person who has probably had to make one of the hardest decisions of their life, but if the tables were turned and you were put in their position would you have put your family or health at risk for a job, a job that could possibly end up damaging your and/or your familys future amongst other things, think about it. So wind your neck in and just wait your turn, you will get there.

So well done to all those who have made it through to the March intake mind yourselves out there, and for those whom have had to turn the offer down, well done for getting that far and im sure your decision was not made easily. I hope that the future is a bright and prosperous one for you all wink.gif

Princess Deity

I've no need to wind my neck in princess.

I was stating my opinion.

I understand anyone putting their family first etc. My opinion is they could and should make their minds up at an earlier stage. They should know what the job involves. It's the same as someone deciding to turn the job down after discovering on the induction day they have to work shifts and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

I think the main issue for the guy is that he and his wife are receiving threats before he even crosses the door of garnerville.I would like to think he understood what the risks were, and when he recieved threats he will have known if they are a serious risk or some twat making an arse of themselves. I think its been mentioned on here before that trainees are perhaps the most vunerable as they have no means to protect themselves or thier family thats why everyone should only tell those who You have confidence. I take your point that there are some people who pull out for silly reasons they should have known about, but this is potentially a life and if op feels thats whats best for them then thats whats best for him. my two cence.

• Advertisement

It's not the same. Something like working shifts and paperwork is a well known fact of policing. So is the threat from terrorism

The thing is, deep down, none of us would apply for the job if we had to advertise it to all around us first. That is why we keep it secret, but sometimes the best secrecy fails, and all the scenarios that you have run through your head about what would happen if it did become public knowledge, is nothing like reality. There was nothing more terrifying than the wife of a local 'allegedly retired' terrorist commander walking up to my mother and telling her what could happen if I joined the PSNI, because that was my mother she went to, not me. Threats to myself I could deal with, but when the reality that they know who and where your family are is shown to you it's a different situation. My parents have been very supportive and told me not to worry about the situation, and have expressed hope that I become a member of the PSNI.

Have any of you that received a "wait to March letter", contacted recruitment to see whats happening? now that March has been and gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 king_eric

Yes I contacted them last week. They said that they were basically waiting to see if they were able to continue with this campaign because it started under 50/50. They said the general feeling is that they won't be able to continue with recruitment although no firm decision has been made as yet, and they have not been told when the decision will be made. Basically they said a dear john will most likely be the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

king_eric wrote: »
    Yes I contacted them last week. They said that they were basically waiting to see if they were able to continue with this campaign because it started under 50/50. They said the general feeling is that they won't be able to continue with recruitment although no firm decision has been made as yet, and they have not been told when the decision will be made. Basically they said a dear john will most likely be the outcome.

Have any of you got on to your local political leaders about this?

Now is the time when they will be looking your votes!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ant08

surely would it not make more sense for them to pick from the people waiting already i.e us and do it what ever way they are planning to in future if there not doing 50/50 rather than spending all that money on a new recruitment campaign??

also when the letters were sent out did anyone recieve the progressing letter but are still waiting?? :confused:

ant08 wrote: »
    also when the letters were sent out did anyone recieve the progressing letter but are still waiting?? :confused:

Yes i recieved the progressing letter and im still waiting. I have passed my medical and vetting has been completed but it looks like it will all be in vien. :(

I dont think im the only one ie 1967j is in the same boat.

Complete waste of everyones time and money if they stop using the current merit list in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ant08

well in that case im the same as you both...

it would make sense to pick from the current merit list beacuse the majority of us are ready to rock and roll!! but instead they have to do it the way that makes no sense at all...

ant08 wrote: »
    well in that case im the same as you both...

it would make sense to pick from the current merit list beacuse the majority of us are ready to rock and roll!! but instead they have to do it the way that makes no sense at all...

Would make sense but when does anything sensible happen when politicians are involved - on a positive note (for me anyway) been offered another decent job today so at least life on the dole is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

1967J wrote: »
    Would make sense but when does anything sensible happen when politicians are involved - on a positive note (for me anyway) been offered another decent job today so at least life on the dole is over

Hey thats great news , congratulations on that.

• Advertisement

Delancey wrote: »
    Hey thats great news , congratulations on that.

Thanks for that - it was good news, not quite the news I was after but given that C16 may be over, it will do in the meantime until I hear different

Advertisement