Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl's 10W40 engine oil

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Anyone has used Lidl’s 10W40 engine oil before (Sell at €17 for 5L)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I've been using it it my wife's 97 Corolla for the last few oil changes. No complaints, uses very little between changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

That's probably more the Corolla than the oil, to be fair! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I was advised by someone who worked for an oil company that the most important thing you can do with your cars engine is change the oil regularly.

He said you're better off buying cheaper oil and changing it more often than spending a fortune on oil and not changing it regularly. This doesn't apply to modern engines that spec exotic oil, but if you've got an older cat that specs 10W40 you probably can't go too far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, use it for the GFs car, no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

you2008 wrote: »
    Anyone has used Lidl’s 10W40 engine oil before (Sell at €17 for 5L)?

Are they selling it now?
    I checked their site and there's nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Are they selling it now?
    I checked their site and theirs nothing.

Yeah, is it in store now?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭you2008

livEwirE wrote: »
    Yeah, is it in store now?
    yep! they are! hurry ......................:eek:

Why have they not got it on their site?
    Dont want to drive there for no oil.
    Can it be confirmed where it is for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

It was one of their weekly specials a couple of weeks ago hence it's gone from their site. I can confirm there was at least 30 X 5ltr bottles of the 10W40 left in Lidl in Clonee yesterday lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭Invincible

Why have they not got it on their site?
    Dont want to drive there for no oil.
    Can it be confirmed where it is for sale?

Ring 1800 347447 and ask them have they any left in stock in your local branch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 code187.2010

I use it all the time with no probs, but then I change the oil every 3000mls. That's a habit from the old diesel days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I tried it and it was fine, but when you can get castrol gtx semi-synthetic for €20 and magnetec fully synthetic for €24.95 I don't bother anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

paddyp wrote: »
    I tried it and it was fine, but when you can get castrol gtx semi-synthetic for €20 and magnetec fully synthetic for €24.95 I don't bother anymore.

Where can you get this? I paid 45 for 4l of magnatec fully synthetic last week :mad:

paddyp wrote: »

If thats for 5 litres, then you are pulling legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

I can also get it at those prices. just ask for trade price the next time your buying your service kit.

In most cases an air filter should cost you no more than a tenner, 2.50 each for NGK sparkplugs (not iridium or anything like that) and a oil filter is about a 5er.

Went into lidl in castletroy tonight and bought this cheap oil. Will do the job for me. I've to pour oil in every few weeks, there's a leak in oil sump so cheap oil will do the job!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

Surely it'd be cheaper to get a replacement sump from a scrappy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Where can you get this? I paid 45 for 4l of magnatec fully synthetic last week :mad:

Supersavers in Roscommon, they bring it in from the north it usually has the pound prices on it.

45 is robbery anyway I never paid more than 34 in a motor factors and that was about 6 years ago and its usually 30 odd in tesco as far as I can remember.

My brother buys magnetec 20l at a time its about 80 euro.

Soarer wrote: »
    Surely it'd be cheaper to get a replacement sump from a scrappy?

I understand your point Soarer but i'm not a mechanic so its handier for me to keep filling with oil. I will be getting it done soon enough though as NCT is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

+1. magnatec fully synth for less than 25 quid? Not a chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement