Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2011 anime season

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

So April is upon us, and with it comes a fresh batch of animated goodness:
    http://chartfag.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/1300724950107.jpg

Not really many standouts for me this season. Fireball is back though, which is all sorts of awesome (though I dont like Drossel and Gedächtnis' redesigns), plus the final part of the shockingly good .hack//Quantum OVA.

Some other honourable mentions go to the return of Gintama and The World God Only Knows, along with X-Men's premier and A Channel which looks like it'll fill the gaping void left in the hearts of all the Lucky Star fans out there. Also, in late April there'll be an extra episode of Highschool of the Dead to keep y'all tided over till that series is picked up again :pac:.

Anyone interested in following any shows this season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

This looks to be mostly rubbish.

New Kaiji, though. And I'll probably check out [C]. That looks pretty interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hmmm, a few things caught my eye. First, obviously, A Channel. I'm a little suspicious of it though - could turn out to be just a total rip off of Lucky Star >_> We shall see.

I'll probably give DOG DAYS, TIGER&BUNNY and Oretachi ni Tsubasa na Nai a go. Maybe Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream and Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi if I have time.

I kinda what to see what the hell is going on in Astarotte no Omocha! too >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

X-men- it's x-men

showa monogatari-history is good

hyouge mono-history is good

ao no exorcist-manga is good

have to watch the rest when it's out.

.hack//Quantum OVA- first 2 were good and i like the older .hack

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Still waiting on Deadman Wonderland. Seriously guys read the manga. Its fantastic. Really high hopes for the Anime adaption, as its the same studio as Ergo Proxy and such :D

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

[C] will be epic. Just gonna call it now.
    I'm also gonna give Denpa Onna to Seishun otoko because Shaft are good at stuff like this.

Also, stein's Gate has time travel, which interests me, so I'll watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Heard some great things about Stein's Gate too actually. I think the list is far better than the Winter's listings anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

What did Fireball Charming do to my darling Drossel?!
    61376.jpg

What happened to her pigtails?! And her feet?! D:
    drossel-small.jpg

Stein's Gate does look good but I haven't seen Chaos Head. Think it'd be necessary to have seen that first?

neither have I, let's hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Konata wrote: »
    Stein's Gate does look good but I haven't seen Chaos Head. Think it'd be necessary to have seen that first?
    From what one of my friends has told me you dont. They're set in the same universe, but isolated stories so at the very least I'd be expecting some references to the other series.

Also, here's an incredibly informative trailer for A-Channel.

It really does look exactly like Lucky Star with a less bright colour palette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Only thing I'm even remotely excited about is Maria Holic season 2.

Japan, I am disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Time for some first episode impressions?

I've watched the first of a few of the new series', had completely forgotten what was on the chart so just been watching everything.

So far:
    Dog Days: Not expecting much, first episode didn't play out exactly how I expected. Japanese boy summoned by a princess to a fantasy world to do battle...

X-Men: Nice looking but I didn't really like the first episode.

Nichijou: Pretty funny not really about anything. Reminded me of Lucky Star.

Steins;Gate: This surprised me, could be really good. Some sort of sci-fi thriller by the looks of things. Main character is awesome, like if the guy from Welcome to the NHK decided to become a scientist.

Hanasaku Iroha: Slice of life about a girl having to move to live with her grandmother at a hot spring. Could be alright it'll need a couple more episodes to see.

Nana to Kaoru OVA: It is what it is.

Haven't watched anything bar Tiger & Bunny yet, but it's very good. It has the same kind of idea as a the incredibles, wondering how heroes make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Nollog

tiger&bunny, yondemasuyo, hen zemi, hana-saku iroha, dororon, sket dance, boku-tachi wa mada shiranai
    nichijou, steins;gate, denpa onna, ao no exorcist, world god only knows 2, [C], deadman wonderland

So much interests me for so many reasons, but in the end only 1 show is ever any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Nothing much for me there I think except Deadman Wonderland, some of the films might be worth a look.

Just watched the first episodes of Tiger & Bunny and Dog Days. Funnily enough, the two actually had a lot of similarities, both being based around the subject of "heroes" and both featuring a sort of TV programme that follows the heros escapades and awards them "points" based on their performance.

That said, both are very different, with totally different animation styles and settings.

Tiger & Bunny looks interesting, I enjoyed the first episode anyway. Same with Dog Days but we'll see where that one goes... there seem to be some twists which could make the series quite good or utter crap, depending on what they are and how they're handled! Plenty of furries in that one for those so inclined :P

Aaaaaaaaand just watched Oretachi Ni Tsubasa Wa Nai - not what I was expecting at all :P Ecchi heaven! Lost count of the number of panty shots and sexual references :P

Quite good though, very funny in places and looks to be an interesting storyline. First episode just kind of introduced some of the characters. Yuko Goto (voice of Mikuru Asahina in Haruhi) does the voice of Naru Otori, so you know that's gonna be good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Konata wrote: »
    Just watched the first episodes of Tiger & Bunny and Dog Days. Funnily enough, the two actually had a lot of similarities

Enjoyed Tiger & Bunny so will keep an eye out for Dog Days!

Watched Nichijou there last night. Meh. Stein's Gate was rather good, still waiting on Deadman Wonderland though :D

I've heard bad things about everything except Tiger & Bunny. This looks like my thing to watch this year.

Glad to see Crunchyroll streaming it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

I've heard bad things about everything except Tiger & Bunny. This looks like my thing to watch this year.

Glad to see Crunchyroll streaming it.
    Are Crunchroll streaming it? I thought ANN got the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm surprised ANN get contracts as-is :rolleyes:

I mean... *really*.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

Well they do only have one guy working on video as far as I know.

Although I don't watch videos on the site, I just use it for news/reviews and the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I'll give nearly anything a shot at least once, but the ones that stand out for me:

X-Men (wanna see how that goes :p)
    The World God Only Knows
    Oretachi Ni Tsubasa Wa Nai
    Hashizora e Kakaru Hashi
    Sket Dance
    Steins;gate
    Hidan No Aria

But of course this is only if I get time. Have a serious backlog of Movies, TV shows and Anime to watch. :)

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    Enjoyed Tiger & Bunny so will keep an eye out for Dog Days!

Similiar themes indeed but very different approaches - Dog Days is more your generic plonk a regular schoolkid in an alternate universe and make him an unlikely hero thing. Tiger & Bunny is a lot more gritty whereas Dog Days is just... cute >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Nollog

Watched Nichijou there last night. Meh. Stein's Gate was rather good

I have opposite views.
    Could be just that I'm still bitter at nitro for the chaos;head fail.

CDH wrote: »
    Are Crunchroll streaming it? I thought ANN got the rights.
    You're right, it's on ANN UK.

I thought ANN and typed Crunchyroll.

Watched first episode of A Channel there. Twas grand. Lucky Star esque but without the anime/manga references and with a slightly more serious storyline.

So much anime.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone know if there's a group doing showa monogatari

• Advertisement

no one yet

Advertisement