Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Four years on - the reality of DU and the Navan line.

• 04-04-2011 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

I expressed a doubt in 2007 and I happily present to all a radio interview from JUNE 2007 where Barry Kenny can be heard insisting that both the Dart Underground project and the Navan Railway will be delivered by 2015.

They won't and yours truly was right, so enjoy listening to all the crap talk from the semi state drone that is Barry Kenny. Of course he will now claim that the recession has changed things. But if you listen closely you will note that it was a lack of political motivation which brought us to this barren state of affairs, along with tonnes of bull****ting!;)

http://www.railusers.ie/podcasts/audio/28062007_LastWord_Interconnector.mp3

I once said that I would walk the Navan line naked playing a banjo if it opened by 2015. Barry Kenny makes reference to it in this interview. Obviously I won't have to do this now, but this interview really highlights the crap talk from B Kenny and the lack of reality we now face. How carried away did we get with the Celtic Tiger baloney???:D:D:D

From BARRY: "Both the Interconnector and Navan will open by 2015". HA HA HA HA! A non paid volunteer was able to tell him 4 years ago, it wouldn't happen. Poor Barry and the world he inhabits! He's paid a big salary to do this while internet warriors get **** all. Barry is still in the job despite talking bollox. I'm still lurking waiting to discredit these assholes via a really great book that is nearly through the legal ****e created by frightened trainspotters, who are irrelevant anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Jaysus, I can't believe I just made myself listen to that drivel! Derek - what can you say but I told you so. Navan will never happen now, DART underground was always a pile of parrot droppings IMO and Metro North......Now that the freedom fighters are back in earnest it's seriously time to consider the boat again. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

and now with the per sq meter property tax the West of Ireland will simply empty out as most people here during the boom will not be able to afford the property tax on their HUGE houses miles from anywhere.

There will all end up in council estates in Galway and Limerick cities - were there is NO meaningful public transport - but hey there is in Ardrahan!

L-Train anyone?

Oranmore double track commuter services anyone else?

"You people are against regional development!"

This country is a total mental hospital. Bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You can't blame Kenny spouting an over optimistic company line. The real problem is the lack of ability in our political administration to get a proper integrated transport plan and manage it. It's one thing to produce a great wish list of transport projects - it would be preferable to produce a long list and then a "we will do this" short list of a small number of integrated projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

do you know I remember the banjo thing ? Is it that long ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What's the downside slash hurdle in opening these projects to private enterprise?

Normally I'd be less in favour of privatising the actual infrastructure - but if it's a question of getting it or not, I think we're better off with it and with the jobs than without.

• Advertisement

What's the downside slash hurdle in opening these projects to private enterprise?

Normally I'd be less in favour of privatising the actual infrastructure - but if it's a question of getting it or not, I think we're better off with it and with the jobs than without.

Can't see any company taking the risk. Not with the current global economy.

Of course it could be paid for using the naitonal pension fund no problem. But as that is mostly for civil servants and politicians can't see this happening.

If if they did dip into the NPF the first ones screaming for the cash would be the Western Rail Corridor loonies and their trainspotter supporters who have already killed off MN, DU and Navan and would love a second chance to do it again as long as they got to Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Of course it could be paid for using the naitonal pension fund no problem.

Not sure you're quite up to date there. There now seem to be other claims on that fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Not sure you're quite up to date there. There now seem to be other claims on that fund.

I was assuming that was a form of sarcasm from Our Lady considering the world knows its committed to bank debt.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The dregs of that fund are allocated to projects other than IE promoted ones. EG Broadband/water to privatise it and 'energy' which isa complete snakepit IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I once said that I would walk the Navan line naked playing a banjo if it opened by 2015. Barry Kenny makes reference to it in this interview. Obviously I won't have to do this now, but this interview really highlights the crap talk from B Kenny and the lack of reality we now face. How carried away did we get with the Celtic Tiger baloney???:D:D:D

Pity it wasn't a challenge. :pac:

• Advertisement

I was taking the piss.

Advertisement