Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone done the Television Media Course in Cork?

Options
  • 01-04-2011 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Just wondering about the Diploma in Media Techniques. Tv and Video.

Is this course donw in cork or just dublin?

I am thinking about applying but would love to hear some reviews of it and if it helped you to break into the Television industry??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KevHos

Yep, left it half ways through second year when they decided to tell us about the credit system.
    essentially you need to work on at least 3 projects with a recognized member of the Irish films union i.e. SIPTU
    The projects must be of professional status i.e. advert, television, film and you can't receive payment for them. I've been trying for 2 years now to get my final credit as professionals are simply saying no to any work experience and without membership to SIPTU your qualification would only get you the most basic and shoe string budget work in ireland.
    If I was you I would consider the multimedia course in sunderland, transferred all my work to them on an inter-college program with CIT and St Johns and got my degree in 2 years. well more recognized but still hard to find work in Ireland.
    Or you could go the self thought route like many famous directors/photographers.

So either way unless you have a Job before you finish college you will either have to work as an intern for free for three different people, work in a completely different job while trying to find three people willing to give you a credit "and they are few" or go straight to the unemployment line while you wait for one of the many showreels you sent out to get you in the door.
    Sadly it really is a "Who you know" business and unless you have the drive to produce a unique high quality showreel "The simple short film or student documentary wouldn't get a look (believe me)" are able to make your name heard you won't get into this tightly conservative community of artists "Britains allot more relaxed".

Advertisement