Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Illustrated Marc/April Issue

Options
  • 29-03-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up the latest issue of Science Illustrated magazine at Eason today. €6.01 (That's right. Six euros and one bleeding penny!)
    Fair bit of Paleo fun in it. The cover features 'Supercroc' (Sarcosuchus imperator for the initiated), 'The 40 Foot Monster That Dined On Dinos'.
    Inside there is an 8 page feature on the bizarre dinosaurs of Cretaceous Sahara. While it's a nice enough piece, there's nothing there that you couldn't have read on this forum. There is also a 2 page piece on the alleged Australopithecus tools and a small bit on the world's biggest (now extinct) rat. Again, nothing you could not have read on this forum ages ago. The articles are all quite picture heavy (hence 'Illustrated' I suppose) and not particularly in-depth. There's plenty of non-prehistoric stuff in there too.
    It makes nice toilet reading if anything. Plus if the chicks see you reading it on the train, they will, like, totally dig you and stuff..

science_illustrated_-_march_april_2011.jpg&sa=X&ei=GFWSTY2RMIuwhAe55-CQDw&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Gg&usg=AFQjCNHgWCPBr1QS4lBevPEGJbaNdlXqlA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Galvasean wrote: »
    I picked up the latest issue of Science Illustrated magazine at Eason today. €6.01 (That's right. Six euros and one bleeding penny!)
    Fair bit of Paleo fun in it. The cover features 'Supercroc' (Sarcosuchus imperator for the initiated), 'The 40 Foot Monster That Dined On Dinos'.
    Inside there is an 8 page feature on the bizarre dinosaurs of Cretaceous Sahara. While it's a nice enough piece, there's nothing there that you couldn't have read on this forum. There is also a 2 page piece on the alleged Australopithecus tools and a small bit on the world's biggest (now extinct) rat. Again, nothing you could not have read on this forum ages ago. The articles are all quite picture heavy (hence 'Illustrated' I suppose) and not particularly in-depth. There's plenty of non-prehistoric stuff in there too.
    It makes nice toilet reading if anything. Plus if the chicks see you reading it on the train, they will, like, totally dig you and stuff..

science_illustrated_-_march_april_2011.jpg&sa=X&ei=GFWSTY2RMIuwhAe55-CQDw&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Gg&usg=AFQjCNHgWCPBr1QS4lBevPEGJbaNdlXqlA

Aha thats where I have been going wrong then. Instead of reading it on the trai or even in the toilet on the train, I have tended to read it while I am driving along. Gets them screaming well enough, but that is all I am afraid.:D:D

I think this is one of those publications mainly aimed at kids. It is the impression I get anyway. Not sure if any of you agree. Like to picture though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't know if it's speifically aimed at kids, but it's not as text heavey as say National Geographic. It's certainly less 'kiddy' than Nat Geo Kids magazine. Maybe somewhere in between. Personally I'll buy just about any mag that has a something prehistoric on the cover. Just doin' my bit! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

That's an amazing illustration. If only I could color like that! :D

Oddly enough in the 'flesh' the green is much more pronounced, almost illuminous. Doesn't look as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Galvasean wrote: »
    I don't know if it's speifically aimed at kids, but it's not as text heavey as say National Geographic. It's certainly less 'kiddy' than Nat Geo Kids magazine. Maybe somewhere in between. Personally I'll buy just about any mag that has a something prehistoric on the cover. Just doin' my bit! ;)

I am not being critical Galvasean. Lord some of the stuff I buy I would be a real hypocrite if I was. No, it was just a general comment on how the magazine seems to be aimed at the younger reader. Mind you if I had seen it I know I would have bought it myself. Odd that I haven't seen any recent ones though, I wonder if they have stopped selling it around here. Now if they had a dino on the front with boobs I am sure they would be selling that.:D

• Advertisement

It's the first I've heard of the magazine too. Probably wouldn't have noticed it if there wasn't a big pehistoric critter on the cover.

Advertisement