Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw 28/03 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

It really wasn't the best one before Mania. Does Cena ever shut up. The last segment was a tad bit boring. Are we expecting the Rock too get involved in this said match on sunday.

Heres a question in the promo vid trips said that he has won every title in the wwe. I don't remember him winning the hardcore title so has he held it at one time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

cena wrote: »
    Heres a question in the promo vid trips said that he has won every title in the wwe. I don't remember him winning the hardcore title so has he held it at one time?
    Nope, he never has. Also never won the Smackdown! Tag Titles before the unification I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Denny M wrote: »
    Nope, he never has. Also never won the Smackdown! Tag Titles before the unification I think.

how do ye expect him to remember them titles, when he's forgot he's already lost to Taker at a wrestlemania ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yip it doesnt matter what The Rock does, at the end of the day he is there to push john cena

lol rock is there to push himself, lets see t-shirt, check, front cover of wwe magazine, check, have john cena kiss your ass for 10mins last night, check
    but i dont believe this will happen because his character, his promo's, and his ring work at times are so bad, that until they are sorted out, the boo's will continue to ring loud and clear.

maybe the ordinary wwe male 16-25 will never appreciate cena (or allow themselves to) but plenty of knowledgeable smarks that do, thats the reason he has won wrestler of the year over on the observer twice in four years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lol rock is there to push himself, lets see t-shirt, check, front cover of wwe magazine, check, have john cena kiss your ass for 10mins last night, check

maybe the ordinary wwe male 16-25 will never appreciate cena (or allow themselves to) but plenty of knowledgeable smarks that do, thats the reason he has won wrestler of the year over on the observer twice in four years

i disagree with your 1st point, he's back in the wwe and still no mention from him about future or current movies he's in, wwe profits from his t-shirt sales, they profit from the sales of their wwe magazine, and maybe that was the famous writers that write cena's material that came up with that last night, and who was left standing at the end of raw, and who will be left standing at the end of whatever happens with this, no it wont be The Rock.

And as for your 2nd point, i am well beyond that age group and dont need to be a ''knowledgable smark'' to know whats good or bad to watch, i can well allow myself to appreciate if and when cena improves but its hard when i watch john throw his punches, no sell the moves, listen to the same old promo week in week out, and then i watch a replay of the royal rumble and i see john throw alex riley out of the royal rumble match, obviously a good few minutes before he was supposed to. check it out and listen to Miz praise Riley, then a bit later they realise he's not in the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Their awards are a mess though some categories are seemingly open to MMA fighters(to appease the tastes of us 16-25 year olds I guess,one wonders what i'll do at 26). Surely if a MMA Fighter can win Best on the Interviews or Feud of the Year they can also win Most Outstanding Wrestler(clearly GSP for the last few years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

GTR63 wrote: »
    Their awards are a mess though some categories are seemingly open to MMA fighters(to appease the tastes of us 16-25 year olds I guess,one wonders what i'll do at 26). Surely if a MMA Fighter can win Best on the Interviews or Feud of the Year they can also win Most Outstanding Wrestler(clearly GSP for the last few years).

Surely the fact that the awards are open to MMA guys, when MMA has overtaken wrestling amongst a lot of internet "smark" fans, makes Cenas wins all the more impressive?

Overall I thought RAW was good. I think they've peaked the HHH/Taker feud at just the right time. in many ways its an impossible feud to book with both guys being so familiar, there's very little new thay have to say to each other. the segment with HBK was very good and leaves me wondering just how its going to play out on Sunday.

The Rock/Cena thing was also decent I thought, but not brilliant. The mor you see Rock, the more you realise he's spomething of a one trick pony with regards his catchphrase-based promos. He's better than most if not everyone on the roster currently, but he will never bring the depth to his promos that the likes of Dusty, Roberts or Foley could. I liked the little heel mannerisms Cena showed last night. He will be absolutely incredible if they ever have the balls to turn him. The problem is they haven't built up a face well enough to live with how over as a heel he's be.

Cole/Lawler has been built briliantly. Its been a long time since I wanted the heel to get his comeuppance as much as I want here and thats a huge compliment to Cole.

That Snooki yoke is a f*cking vile creature. Jesus like, get off my telly.

Punk/Orton could be the sleeper match of the night. A match that hasn't gotten huge attention, but the build has been solid. Both men were brilliant in theri characters last night, Punk is such a great d*ckhead heel and Orton's backstage promo later was simpole but very effective.

I'm really looking forward to Mania now after being fairly on the fence about it up until now. They did a good job last night IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

Snooki come from the same place that my cousins live in. Never seen her while i was over there. she really not adding anything too this. trish isn't looking as good as back a few yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Thing with Ziggler/Morrison, leaving out all the women, could actually pull out a few decent spots.

Remember, this is the match that WWE want more non-fans to be interested in.
    So in a weeks time, this match over any other on the card will more than likely get more mainstream attention. It would make sense in my mind to have Ziggler and Morrison showcase a few high spots and that.

nCMpunked wrote: »

Remember, this is the match that WWE want more non-fans to be interested in.

I doubt toilet sites like E or TMZ would care about Dolph or Morrison but for fans who don't want to see a Catfight lets hope they have those two in the ring a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Snooki come from the same place that my cousins live in. Never seen her while i was over there. she really not adding anything too this. trish isn't looking as good as back a few yrs ago.
    Snooki is quite possibly the worst "celebrity" that the WWE has brought in for any Mania. At least in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Its confusing... WWE, the pg show, are trying to sell their main ppv of the year with this celebrity, who is famous for being an obnoxious, alcoholic slut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I doubt toilet sites like E or TMZ would care about Dolph or Morrison but for fans who don't want to see a Catfight lets hope they have those two in the ring a lot.

No they wont care a dam about dolph or morrison, your right.
    But i got WWE capitalise on having some amount of media outlets watching to show off some of their younger, more agile wrestlers by actually having a decent match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

i see john throw alex riley out of the royal rumble match, obviously a good few minutes before he was supposed to. check it out and listen to Miz praise Riley, then a bit later they realise he's not in the ring.

You know that Riley is a inexperienced botch machine? :pac:

And just maybe that Riley was probably meant to hang on? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Very good Raw. Not the 10/10 Raw I was expecting but very good nonetheless.

HHH/Taker build with Shawn on the outside of it was very good. It certainly should have happened maybe a couple of weeks ago, but nonetheless it was a good taster. I assume Shawn will have some role at Mania but considering he's retired I'm unsure as to what they can do with him post-Mania. If they do nothing with him at Mania then a HHH/HBK fallout is a bit meaningless, but what can they do with him. Either way they finally did SOMETHING for the feud albeit a few weeks too late, but it certainly has raised my interest.

The Rock/Cena/Miz confrontation was very good. I hate SuperCena but it made sense him getting the one over on the Rock at the end if they are building to something. Unless Rock is coming back full time I cant see them building this as a Mania 28 feud and suspect this might be a Summerslam main event, given that for the Rock to "book off" the Road to Wrestlemania would probably involve him turning down potentially good scripts which he might not want to.

The only thing I don't agree with in this feud is that the WWE title seems to be an afterthought, yes the Rock is a huge deal, but I don't think they've mentioned the belt in more than just passing references. I can see a Miz win with the Rock and Cena developing their own feud afterwards leading to SSlam...

Sheamus v Bryan will be a good match and I'm glad they haven't tacked on the bloody Divas as they originally seemed to be thinking of doing.

Overall a good Raw, shame Christian now seems to be a valet for Edge rather than competing in some form or fashion.

Shame there's no IC title feud for Barrett as I can see that tag match just being a meh-fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

upc useless the end of raw cut off lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Denny M wrote: »

Wow so he has not won the Hardcore or Smackdown tag titles. His career must be a non event....calm down whether he won 2 discontinued titles or not, does not mean he has not won every title that matters. Anyway, since he won the Unified tag titles he has actually won the Smackdown title. And if he won the IC title after it was unified with the Hardcore title, pedants could be content that he has technically won every available title. Everybody else can be satisfied that he has won every title that matters.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    You know that Riley is a inexperienced botch machine? :pac:

And just maybe that Riley was probably meant to hang on? :pac:

Cena is said to have caused that botch and not given Riley the opportunity to hook his arm around the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

well played Cena.

well fúcking played.

Rock was made to look like a douche by that promo, and here is why IMO. when Cena finished his legitimate spiel...where he basically deconstructed every gripe Rock had with him...and Rock responded with 'only one person will judge us, the good Lord, but even he won't stop me from whooping your monkey ass', well, i'm sorry Rock looked like a fool.

Cena won verbally, and in the end, physically.

now, i'm no Cena nut. i can see his faults, and a lot of what he does annoys me. but last night uncovered one thing. the substance of his character is absolutely sound, and is one people should be able to get behind. i particularly liked the fact that he talked about being proud of being loved by the kids. awesome stuff. once Cena got past kissing Rock's ass, the rest of his promo was note-perfect IMO, and in reality, should have made the mature of us in the audience sit up, take notice, and agree with him.

but yet all Rock had to do was say 'monkey ass' and we all lapped it up.

it's funny really.

don't get me wrong, i understand it. i even cheered a bit, and wanted The Rock to whoop his ass. but it's just funny to me how we can so readily boo a character who should be loved. some is down to his faults, some is down to the writing, some is down to the fact he has been rammed down the audience's throat in a lot of respects.

but, in this feud, Cena should definitely be the good guy. he is the one in the right the whole way down the line in this. and it's not even a close thing.

WWE have to look at that (as someone said on this thread). Cena is doing everything a great face does, but it just isn't working, and hasn't been working for too long now, and IMO, it's becoming a joke that such a morally upright character like the Cena character, who by all accounts should be lauded, is being hated. it's almost irresponsible of WWE in all honesty.

it needs to change, and IMO very very soon.

my fear is they'll leave it too long to turn him.

that all being said, Cena showed signs of just how awesome a heel he will be. please WWE, grow some balls and do it.

in other news, HHH/Taker/HBK was unreal. they should just get HBK to sell Mania on his own :D HHH/Taker is now a match i desperately want to see. it still annoys me, however, that X7 has not been mentioned once. but hey, it is WWE!

all the main angles were done excellently, bar Cole/Lawler, which has been awesome up until now. so as a go home show, i thought it was just about on the money.

and, i hate Snooki :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

SlickRic wrote: »
    well played Cena.

well fúcking played.

Rock was made to look like a douche by that promo, and here is why IMO. when Cena finished his legitimate spiel...where he basically deconstructed every gripe Rock had with him...and Rock responded with 'only one person will judge us, the good Lord, but even he won't stop me from whooping your monkey ass', well, i'm sorry Rock looked like a fool.

Cena looked like the heel in that confrontation tbh, he was opportunistic and waited until Rock had his guard down and hit him with what to me seemed like a gutless cheap attack. Rock came off better morally in that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liam O wrote: »
    Cena looked like the heel in that confrontation tbh, he was opportunistic and waited until Rock had his guard down and hit him with what to me seemed like a gutless cheap attack. Rock came off better morally in that imo.

true.

my point in the general scheme of things, is that Cena is definitely the one with substance and the one who has made the legitimate points, while Rock hasn't said anything of real note.

the attack was cheap, granted, but sure, they have to play up the emotion of the 'adult' crowd who want Cena's ass kicked at WM. that was a completely un-Cena-like attack, which was odd.

my opinion is that was purely done, as i say, to stoke the ire of the pro-Rock fans, who will more than likely be the large majority in a WrestleMania crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Really enjoyed the show.

Agreed with Ric 100% there. I do love Rock but Cena deconstructed his points so perfectly. And I've got to admit, I did mark when Cena hit the AA on Rock; just something about seeing Rocky take a bump again was great.

HHH and Taker finally delievered the promo I've been waiting weeks for. Something that hit me is that I feel this feud has been so boring compared to HBK vs Taker; that had so much of a build up, from the slammies to the rumble to Chamber and then to Mania. It was perfect. This has a slow build as well, but they only have a few weeks to do it and that's the problem. They shouldn't be doing a slow build with a short amount of time. Still, I loved tonight's seg and the whole "Humbled HBK" thing is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

well played Cena.

well fúcking played.

now, i'm no Cena nut. i can see his faults, and a lot of what he does annoys me. but last night uncovered one thing. the substance of his character is absolutely sound, and is one people should be able to get behind. i particularly liked the fact that he talked about being proud of being loved by the kids. awesome stuff. once Cena got past kissing Rock's ass, the rest of his promo was note-perfect IMO, and in reality, should have made the mature of us in the audience sit up, take notice, and agree with him.

but yet all Rock had to do was say 'monkey ass' and we all lapped it up.

it's funny really.

don't get me wrong, i understand it. i even cheered a bit, and wanted The Rock to whoop his ass. but it's just funny to me how we can so readily boo a character who should be loved. some is down to his faults, some is down to the writing, some is down to the fact he has been rammed down the audience's throat in a lot of respects.

but, in this feud, Cena should definitely be the good guy. he is the one in the right the whole way down the line in this. and it's not even a close thing.

WWE have to look at that (as someone said on this thread). Cena is doing everything a great face does, but it just isn't working, and hasn't been working for too long now, and IMO, it's becoming a joke that such a morally upright character like the Cena character, who by all accounts should be lauded, is being hated. it's almost irresponsible of WWE in all honesty.

it needs to change, and IMO very very soon.

my fear is they'll leave it too long to turn him.

that all being said, Cena showed signs of just how awesome a heel he will be. please WWE, grow some balls and do it.

in other news, HHH/Taker/HBK was unreal. they should just get HBK to sell Mania on his own :D HHH/Taker is now a match i desperately want to see. it still annoys me, however, that X7 has not been mentioned once. but hey, it is WWE!

all the main angles were done excellently, bar Cole/Lawler, which has been awesome up until now. so as a go home show, i thought it was just about on the money.

and, i hate Snooki :)

Good post.

People are now realising that Cena at least has a little substance to his character, while The Rock is all about the well-delivered but ultimately superficial catchphrases.

'Gwan Cena baaaaiiiiiiii......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

flahavaj wrote: »
    Good post.

People are now realising that Cena at least has a little substance to his character, while The Rock is all about the well-delivered but ultimately superficial catchphrases.

Superficial catchphrases! You can't see me? Come on. Lets be fair here, Cena was very good last night on the mic, but 2 weeks ago he just gay bashed the Rock for 20 minutes and made jokes about his dick. The Rock is the best promo man in the world hands down. I notice nobody is praising the writers for Cenas material last night. Usually if Cena has a bad promo it is all the writers fault. But seeing as he had a good one last night, we are "now realising Cena at least has a little substance to his character". One good promo and a cheap heelish attack on The Rock does not change most peoples views on Cena very much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

flahavaj wrote: »
    Good post.

I dunno wether people are taking it the wrong way though, its not like thats what The Rock is all about or thats what Cena is all about but that thats what the WWE want to portray either of them being all about at this given time. I agree with those who think Rocky actually looked like he may be sick but im sure if he wasnt told the way it was going he could have easily come up with a good comeback but they are working on improving Cena's image now, as he's the man that will be in the WWE long term. I mean why were Rocky's musings about Cena so superficial, purple shirt, rap etc and why didnt he pick Cena up on some of the points he made such as how he wasnt brought up in the right place... what Massatucus? (i know thats spelt wrong) or how he said that everything he said to Rocky was devised to get to the core of why he has a problem with Cena... did that include all the gay references he made.

I have a high opinion Cena and have especially liked the few times when he recently wasnt the usual cena character like this time or his first response to Rocky but it's obviously all skewered towards getting the fans to react the way the WWE want you to with regards these guys. Who knows maybe they are intentionally keeping the fans split with an eye to a future feud between the two or a Cena heel turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

That go home segment was absolutely fantastic...at setting up a match that isn't happening. HHH/HBK/'Taker was awesome though. Besides that a very silly, average show but being honest the rest didn't really matter.

I'm reading back over the last few pages. Quite a sight Miz is barely mentioned last time I checked he is WWE Champion.Cena & the Rock aren't even wrestling each other yet its like WWE were building up their potential match more than sundays title match.Can't say i'm too pleased with the Del Rio vs Edge build even though I was looking forward to it back in February I can see it in being on early in the show after being overshadowed by HHH vs Taker,Rock/Cena & even Cole vs Lawler in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

It really wasn't the best one before Mania. Does Cena ever shut up. The last segment was a tad bit boring. Are we expecting the Rock too get involved in this said match on sunday.

You tell us :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That go home segment was absolutely fantastic...at setting up a match that isn't happening. HHH/HBK/'Taker was awesome though. Besides that a very silly, average show but being honest the rest didn't really matter.

that isn't happening... this sunday. Not saying it will def happen at some point but a lot of people are pointing out that the non wrestling Rock is the focus over the champ like yourself and below but tbh He (along with Snooki sadly) is whats going to draw the casual fans that could turn this from a low buy rate to a high one. As much as those who watch the show every week and would get/watch WM anyway would prefer to see the champ center stage, Cena hitting an AA on The Rock will make a lot more people buy mania simply to see how the Rock will respond at the Grandaddy of them all.
    I'm reading back over the last few pages. Quite a sight Miz is barely mentioned last time I checked he is WWE Champion.Cena & the Rock aren't even wrestling each other yet its like WWE were building up their potential match more than sundays title match.Can't say i'm too pleased with the Del Rio vs Edge build even though I was looking forward to it back in February I can see it in being on early in the show after being overshadowed by HHH vs Taker,Rock/Cena & even Cole vs Lawler in recent weeks.

I think it was a very good point someone said about feuds often peaking too early in the run up to mania also and honestly the WWE have done a good job on avoiding that this time round. Perhaps HHH/Taker could have had this moment a week or two ago but if they did by now maybe they wouldnt still be as gripped by it (Similarily the MMA style approach to it made it different intentionally to previous feuds so as to avoid failing comparison with HBK/Taker and is a refreshing change of pace imo). Then you have Rock/Cena/Miz which was kept interesting as just when it was losing steam The Miz stepped it up, then the in ring confrontation takes place and now we are left wondering what will happen next at mania. Then theres the ones that have been simmering nicely over the past month like Orton/Punk or Rey/Rhodes etc.

okay yes Snooki sucks but they are only using one (not including The Rock cos ill always see him as a wrestler) celeb, she will add to the buys and tbh Mania needs something like this to make it different even if its just used as the comedy match.

Speaking of comedy match, Santino & Kozlov being added to the tag match isnt what id do but tbh an 8 man tag at mania is never going to be a big draw for me (or anyone id say if its undercard) so why not add some fan favourites vs The heel faction.

Sheamus vs Bryan should be good, maybe an opener and tbh has gotten enough airtime for such a position. People have been raving about the Cole/Lawler build already and that only leaves the WHC match which i feel Del Rio will win but of all the matches ive been a bit dissapointed with its build. atm it really feels like christian should be in it considering the build its had and given the fact that this match has been official longer than any other that should not be the case imo. Christian does seem destined to either be in the next ppv main event or turn on edge, but sure im happy enough hes involved going forward but think that atleast this one should have kept the focus on the two combatants unlike some of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

my point in the general scheme of things, is that Cena is definitely the one with substance and the one who has made the legitimate points, while Rock hasn't said anything of real note.

Out of interest, why do you say so? Why exactly has he substance and what exactly do you mean when you say that? I genuinely don't understand this latest pro-Cena stuff. The Rock has numerous times in his via satellite promos given far better retorts to Cena than he did last night and they have let The Rock make legitimate points. You can't say that he has not made legitimate points over the past few weeks. The night of his return saw Boards full of complaints that The Rock was let make legitimate complaints on air about Cena. What has changed since then? Some shítty Cena homophobic jokes? One decent rap? That doesn't change that The Rock raised fair and legitimate points about Cena over the past few weeks.

I didn't think he was necessarily bad last night, but it was clearly booked to build Cena, which makes sense as I said in my first post about last nights Raw. So it is natural The Rock would come off second best. Thus, setting up the Mania excitement of what The Rock will do next. Each of the past few weeks has been an attempt to make one of Cena or The Miz look good.

Also, why is Cena being praised now when during his godawful response a few weeks back (the comedy one with the props etc) it was all the writers fault? Surely it is as I have said all along and both the writers and Cena play a part in what is said? So if you credit him for the stuff he does well, blame him for the terrible stuff. Or else share the credit and the blame amongst the writers, Vince and Cena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was an excellent go-home edition of Raw. I was really pleased with how it turned out.

I liked the main event and Cena's promo which had a lot of merit to it. The FU at the end was also a nice move and highlighted the more serious side of Cena. I agree with Slick's post above about Cena's feelings seemingly having more substance but I would attribute that to poor writing as Rock in theory has a lot of substance to his beef with Cena too. The whole point of Rock's unhappiness with Cena is that Cena questioned his passion for the business and I would have liked to see Rock hammer that point home and talk about how the business is in his blood and how he had a right to pursue his dreams in Hollywood. That is a sound argument from Rock's POV and I don't think it was touched on. If it was it was barely noted. The two of them in the ring was electric though and I felt Miz and Riley really sucked the life out of it when they came down. It wasn't a bad promo from Miz but I just don't think he fits in amongst these two greats.

The Triple H/Taker/Michaels segment I also thought was outstanding. Definitely the best moment of the feud. They should have had more segments like this in previous weeks. They actually put an element of doubt in my mind about the match. I'm 99% certain Taker still wins but at least they put the bit of doubt in there and the near-falls should produce plenty of dramatic moments in the match. They booked it excellently and Taker was great too. I love when he gets to be more vocal in his promos.

They increased my interest in the Orton/Punk feud as well which I wasn't greatly into beforehand. I'm liking most of the Mania matches except for the Snooki one and the Kane/Show vs Corre one. I don't think the Cole/Lawler stuff was too great this week but they've done most of the good work with it beforehand. I would have liked maybe a video from Austin talking about it as you'd be forgiven for forgetting he is in the match. Maybe the week with J.R. should have been the go-home moment for this feud.

Overall though big thumbs up for Raw from me and I plan to order Wrestlemania.

Advertisement