Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabertooth Monster Ate... Plants?!!?!?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

"It takes some time to believe it when you see this animal,"
    Too right! This does not look like a plant eater to me!

saber-toothed-plant-eating-mammal-this-was-made-by-the-scientist_33642_600x450.jpg
    Illustration by Juan Cisneros.

That's mad. You can read about the dietary habits of Tiarajudens eccentricus—"the eccentric tooth of the Tiarajú region"here.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I wrote an article on this beast just yesterday!

It is really not that bizarre that it has saber teeth; quite a few plant eaters today have them, for example the Muntjac, the Musk deer, the Chevrotain and my personal favorite when it comes to sabers, the Vampire deer or Chinese water deer:

Chinese-Water-DeerMale.jpg

chinese-water.jpg

The really amazing thing about the Vampire deer is that its saberteeth are loose on their sockets, which means the animal can move them using its facial musculature; for example, when it feeds, it pulls them backwards so that they don´t get in the way; when threatening a rival, it pushes them forwards.
    And they are very fierce when cornered, too. I imagine Tiarajudens would be similar; a plant eater that could kill anyone stupid enough to mess with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That deer is the single weirdest thing I've seen... today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Galvasean wrote: »
    That deer is the single weirdest thing I've seen... today.

For me, its comes second after the pic you just posted in the 'know your lookalikes thread' :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

What thread is that? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So Adam, I noticed you have not yet hown us your article...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I seem to remember something (If I could just put my finger on it) about giant reptiles (pre dionosaur) that pretty much ruled the planet and had sabre teeth of a sort.

Yes they are famous and right now I seem to have lost the name.

*scratches head in frustration.. Like forgetting the name of T.rex*

Aha the light bulb lights up.:)

I was thinking of pelycosaurs

I think I must be really tired.:D

They're called gorgonopsids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Adam Khor wrote: »
    They're called gorgonopsids :D

I know:o

I just came back to type that but you got here first:o

I feel so inadequate right now:D

Advertisement