Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Longford Bypass (under construction)

• 19-09-2010 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

This 3km scheme has been approved by An Bord Pleanála and is one of the few schemes that has a chance of going ahead in 2011.

longfordbypass.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'd have to wonder why they don't throw this around to the N63, would make it easier to sort out routing in the town centre, I imagine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jebus so no major road works done after Mullingar bypass?

I drive this weekly now and hoped they might finally put in place some right roads but it doesn't look to hopeful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

MYOB wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder why they don't throw this around to the N63, would make it easier to sort out routing in the town centre, I imagine.

I would imagine that the dominant traffic flows would be the N5 Mayo traffic heading for Dublin. But I see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

123easy wrote: »
    I would imagine that the dominant traffic flows would be the N5 Mayo traffic heading for Dublin. But I see your point.

From Furet's map there, it appears that an unofficial link between the N63 and this new link road will de facto be used shortly after opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

nordydan wrote: »
    From Furet's map there, it appears that an unofficial link between the N63 and this new link road will de facto be used shortly after opening.

There is one kinda through a industrial estate. Its full of nasty speed ramps. If I come from Athlone I use the road through clontirm. It is much quicker. There is a 50kph speed limit that goes way to far out the N63 also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Thought it might be an idea to start a thread (thread already exists!) on this as its one of the few NRA projects to start in 2011. According to this piece on the Longford County Council website, construction may begin in Q2.
    N5 Longford Bypass
    Update 26th January 2011
    The main construction Contract for the N5 Longford Bypass road project was tendered by Longford County Council in September 2010 and tenders were submitted in December 2010. The tender assessment process is currently underway.

The NRA has announced an allocation of 9 million for the Road Project in 2011.

Once the Tender Assessment process is complete, NRA approval will be sought to award the Contract.

At this stage and subject to NRA approval it is anticipated that the Construction contract will commence in the second quarter of 2011.

Link: http://www.longfordcoco.ie/coco_content.aspx?id=21920

Link to map of scheme: http://www.longfordcoco.ie/uploadedFiles/LongfordCoCo/Our_Departments/Roads/Documents/N5_Longford_Bypass/N5Drawing.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Good news at last. That should shorten your journey to Murrisk.:D

Good news at last. That should shorten your journey to Murrisk.:D

Whoops! Sorry, thread joined to this existing thread I'm guessing. Didnt know there was another one! Yes should shorten the journey a bit alright. I currently use the Lisbrack Road to avoid Longford town centre. It roughly follows the route of the future bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yea, I wondered where that map came from!!! Now the next great act from the NRA would be to sort out the road between Strokestown and Charlestown.

Yea, I wondered where that map came from!!! Now the next great act from the NRA would be to sort out the road between Strokestown and Charlestown.

Yes. God knows how long it will take though. Wondering when the N5 Ballaghaderreen bypass would start? There were suggestions it would begin in 2011 I believe. There's a piece in the Roscommon Herald (25/1/2011) saying that €7.6 million has been allocated to it this year out of Co. Roscommons roads allocation of €14.6 million.

However another article in the Roscommon People (28/1/2011) says this money will be absorbed by land acquisition, planning and design. Also says €60 million was earmarked for the scheme.
    Funding won’t see construction start on Ballagh bypass – Feighan

The allocation of €7.65m for the Ballaghaderreen Bypass, which will help make it ‘shovel-ready’, has been welcomed by Deputy Frank Feighan, but he warned that after years of waiting for local residents, none of this money will go towards actual construction.

“The critical point to be made here is that the Longford Bypass, a project initiated around the same time as the Ballaghaderreen Bypass, will be built in 2012.

So Longford looks forward to a long-awaited bypass next year while the Ballagh Bypass, costed at about €60m, is still at the design stage and while the Ballagh Bypass this week got a tranche of €7.65m, which is welcome, this money will be absorbed by land acquisition, planning and design.

“I am aware that Consultants Halcro Barry were recently appointed to help Roscommon County Council to prepare the design build contract for the scheme. But the big piece of the jigsaw missing here is that there is no commitment on the horizon to actually go and procure a contractor to build the bypass. “Before Christmas, the Department of Transport confirmed the Longford N5 bypass will definitely proceed next year but the Department also stated clearly there will be no major schemes starting in 2012 or 2013. So under the current administration, which is now falling apart at the seams, the commitment to the Ballagh Bypass project has always been questionable.

Funding

“Since this Government came into office, the people of Ballaghaderreen were led to believe that €60m in funding had been earmarked to fast-track this 14 km new road to replace one of the worst stretches of national primary roads in the country.

“It’s clear for all to see Ballaghaderreen desperately needs a bypass to tackle the traffic bottlenecks which continue to create major disruption to the daily and commercial life of the town,” concluded Deputy Feighan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

but the Department also stated clearly there will be no major schemes starting in 2012 or 2013. So under the current administration, which is now falling apart at the seams, the commitment to the Ballagh Bypass project has always been questionable.
    When the Gov say no major schemes they mean PPPs. The Ballagh bypass is a minor scheme so it could indeed start in 2012/2013.

Preliminary works for the N5 Longford bypass get underway.
    Feb 04 2011

Preliminary works for the N5 Longford bypass are underway.

The National Roads Authority recently announced an allocation of 9 million euro for the Road Project this year.

The works currently being carried out are to clear the vegetation from the proposed route prior to the main construction works beginning.

It's estimated that this should take around four weeks.

Link: http://www.shannonside.ie/news-details.php?nid=7686&action=newsdetails

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

I was down that way today: they've knocked down some roadside foliage and erected some wooden fencing. Also saw (briefly) what looked like a planning notice along the N5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Anyone else think the road should be built south of the town? Looks a long enough detour to bypass Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I would have thought so. Seems obvious that the route to the south of the town is much shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Tech3 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the road should be built south of the town? Looks a long enough detour to bypass Longford.

problem with that is the amount of houses and housing estates and things like that to that side of the town. from looking at the map and knowing the area very well hardly any of these are on that map. where it says farnagh and feraghfad is all housing. a lot of people live in this area. its all hills aswell and full of little back roads. people who know the area would be able to get from one side of the town to the other on the back roads and saty away from the twon centre. where this road is going to be located makes the most sense of any route!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

South of the town would also have made the N4-N5 connection awkward as feck once (well, if) the Mullingar->Roosky DC gets built, now the link road should be joining the existing BP at the same RAB.

N5 Longford Bypass.

Construction of N5 Longford Bypass to Commence in April 2011
    (21st March 2011)

Longford Town will soon see an end to heavy goods vehicles and through traffic clogging up the Town Centre as the N5 Longford Bypass nears construction. According to Mayor Paul Connell “the long awaited bypass will link the N4 and the N5 National roads and bring many benefits to the town in the form of; reduced traffic congestion, improved safety, improved environmental quality through the removal of road traffic noise and pollution and enhanced quality of life for the local community”.

Mayor Connell also pointed out that Longford Town is a traffic bottleneck on the National Roads Network with many commuters suffering long tailbacks and slow moving traffic on the approaches to Longford from Westport and Dublin directions. The construction of the N5 Longford Bypass will remove this bottle neck and reduce average journey times by approximately 8 minutes. During peak periods the journey time saving will be up to 25 minutes. The traffic volumes in the Town Centre will be reduced by up to 5000 vehicles per day including a significant number of heavy goods vehicles.

Longford County Manager, Mr Tim Caffrey explained that the process involved in planning and implementing a major capital road project like the N5 Longford Bypass presents challenges but these have been overcome and now the project will proceed to the construction stage. He wished, together with the Mayor and Elected Members of Longford County Council, to take this opportunity to thank the land and property owners directly affected by the Bypass for their good will and cooperation.

The need for the Scheme was identified in the National Roads Needs Study 1998 and in subsequent National Development Plans, County Development Plans and Transport 21. The project implementation is being managed by the Roscommon National Roads Design Office on behalf of Longford County Council and in close cooperation with the NRA.

The procurement process commenced in May 2010 with the publication of a Contract notice and has recently concluded with the selection of a preferred bidder. The successful Tenderer is Wills Brothers Ltd., Ballylahan Bridge, Foxford, Co Mayo who will design, execute and complete the project. The Contract was formally signed today, (March 21st) and it is anticipated that site works will commence in April. The Project duration will be 18 months.

The N5 Longford Bypass Road Project will be constructed approximately 2km from Longford Town in the townlands of Aghareagh, Ballyminion, Mullagh, Cartrons, Moneylagan and Aghadegnan. The Project will include 2.6 km of standard single carriageway National Primary Road; 2 No. at-grade roundabouts on the N4 and N5, a Rail Bridge, River Camlin Bridge and a Bridge over the Lisbrack road.

Link: http://www.longfordcoco.ie/coco_content.aspx?id=17778

Route on aerial photograph 1

Route on aerial photograph 2

The timings are a bit OTT, I've never been caught for 25 mins in the town centre and I'd assume the route around will take a little longer in a hypothetical clear traffic situation (although the N4 BP is 100km/h and I'd assume this is too so it might work out the same).

However, 15mins lost is normal enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The first time I came from Mayo to Dublin along the N5 last year, involved a wait in Longford of nearly 15 minutes. But I don't know how regularly that happens when passing through on the N5.

It's good to see the bypass going ahead even if it looks a little cumbersome and circuituous (to my untrained eye).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

First of 2011's new starts to get underway. Not before time.

Wonder how much it'll cost?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

spacetweek wrote: »
    Wonder how much it'll cost?

At a guess, all things considered, maybe €7-8m for the Civils.

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/n5_bypass_to_begin_in_april_1_2528590
    it is one of only four major road projects - including those in Cork, Kerry and Cavan - that are expected to progress to construction stage in Ireland this year.

And only two of those are major, the Cork and Tralee ones, 2.6km of Longford Bypass is not major....would not have been in the 1980s even.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And only two of those are major, the Cork and Tralee ones, 2.6km of Longford Bypass is not major....would not have been in the 1980s even.
    That doesn't include the PPPs, which have been listed separately in Gov press releases. However, it does mean that N4 Downs and N87 Ballyconnell seem to be off the books this year. I did think 9 new starts this year seemed optimistic back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭gebbel

The longest hold-up I experienced driving through Longford was 15 minutes (N4 <-> N5). I am very happy with this news. Great for the safety of the locals and the environment, and another reduction in driving times to look forward to.

gebbel wrote: »
    The longest hold-up I experienced driving through Longford was 15 minutes (N4 <-> N5). I am very happy with this news. Great for the safety of the locals and the environment, and another reduction in driving times to look forward to.
    Whatever about holdups, the actual state of the N5 in the middle of the town is positively medieval. It's a narrow left turn down an urban street, with a broken, potholed surface. It's also very badly signed. A bypass is the least they could do.
    In fact, in my experience all the roads in Longford town are in a shocking state. There seems to be a lot of truck traffic passing through, presumably this is headed for the N60 and N5.

The construction of the new N5 Bypass is expected to commence on April 11, next.

Link: http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local/n5_bypass_to_begin_in_april_1_2528590

Anybody know did construction actually begin on this scheme? Or is it subject to Leo Varadkar's review process?

Contract was signed before the last government left office. I was down that way yesterday and construction appears to be underway. May take pics next week.

Definite signs of life beside where the new RAB will be on the existing N5 as I was heading in to spend about 8 minutes behind an overly wide trailer winding through Longford...

Was down that way today, got a few pics - the contractor appears to be starting at the current N5 end, there was a minimal amount of activity on the Lisbrack Road, and probably nothing on the N4 end, I assume, I didin't go down there.

3 pics, note there is also some significant fencing and drainage works in the immediate vicinity.

Parked in the HS on the Mayo side, here is a pic approaching the junction.
    155792.JPG

Next, a straight down view of the new road being built:
    155793.JPG

Now just a little closer to the town:
    155794.JPG

• Advertisement

N4 end looks almost identical, some work done and a red height restrictory thingy in place - passed it today.

Advertisement