Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Management Qualification

Options
  • 19-03-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been working as a project manager for the past 12 months. I sort of stumbled into the role, and am keen to take it further. I am trying to determine what sort of education I should do in order to make this something I can take with me when I leave my current employment. Also, since I stumbled into this role, I am winging it to a certain degree. I am looking at week long courses, but I really feel that this would give me a piece of paper, but no actual knowledge, so then I am looking at the course run by Project Management Ireland, or the masters in UL. Both look to offer the structure and information that I want, but at two different levels. What I'm looking for is someone in the Project Management arena who could give me some advise. Does anyone have experience with any of these courses, or maybe another option?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

cluelessx2 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been working as a project manager for the past 12 months. I sort of stumbled into the role, and am keen to take it further. I am trying to determine what sort of education I should do in order to make this something I can take with me when I leave my current employment. Also, since I stumbled into this role, I am winging it to a certain degree. I am looking at week long courses, but I really feel that this would give me a piece of paper, but no actual knowledge, so then I am looking at the course run by Project Management Ireland, or the masters in UL. Both look to offer the structure and information that I want, but at two different levels. What I'm looking for is someone in the Project Management arena who could give me some advise. Does anyone have experience with any of these courses, or maybe another option?

Thank you.

Liked you, I felt I was winging it to a certain degree as PM in my first management role. I looked into the preferred methodology for our organisation and PRINCE2 was what I was told we should use. I did a 3 day introduction course and then a number of months later for 2 more days which certified me as a practitioner. I thought the course was great and really helps me in my current role now. I did it with the ESMI. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

Thanks for replying, that's really good to know. I didn't have the confidence in short courses!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the 6 month diploma course in smurfit is a good one, goes on for a while, but not that many actual days. can go on to do pmi if you like as the hours count.

My personal advice is to stay away from prince2, it's not widely known outside of the UK. Although it does depend on what industry you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

Thanks. I'm looking at the sureskills Pmp course - does anyone have any feedback on that? I amnot Dublin based, so really want something that won't require a whole lot if travel of time off work. Alternatively, I'd be very interested in recommendations for distance learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

copacetic wrote: »
    the 6 month diploma course in smurfit is a good one, goes on for a while, but not that many actual days. can go on to do pmi if you like as the hours count.

My personal advice is to stay away from prince2, it's not widely known outside of the UK. Although it does depend on what industry you are in.

Agreed BUT the PMP is a difficult to get and requires at least 3 years on the job exp + a bunch of other crap.

PRINCE2 is a 5 day course, which I think serves as a good introduction to Projects, methodologies and the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 newbie4

cluelessx2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank you.

How much would a project manager charge for a one off house. A couple have offered me the job But I do not know how much to charge. I would like to get the job but would like to have a return out of it too. It will be from green field to turn Key.

Can some one pm me som info

Thank you

Advertisement