Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

News: March 2011 is the last intake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MissGee

Gutted at the news being one of the Merit Listers awaiting a place. Kinda knew deep down it was coming though...

Thankfully the PSNI have given me a lifeline. I got offered a job (after 2 years of waiting!). I start as Civillan staff (permanent ASO) soon! Whoo hooo! Finally be able to get the inside scoop!!! hehe! Gonna be in a very interesting Department, so I hear! I'm well pleased about it! :D

Still gonna apply again when the Officer competition kicks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

MissGee wrote: »
    Gutted at the news being one of the Merit Listers awaiting a place. Kinda knew deep down it was coming though...

Thankfully the PSNI have given me a lifeline. I got offered a job (after 2 years of waiting!). I start as Civillan staff (permanent ASO) soon! Whoo hooo! Finally be able to get the inside scoop!!! hehe! Gonna be in a very interesting Department, so I hear! I'm well pleased about it! :D

Aww lucky you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Congratulation on the job MissGee , do be sure to buy the HR folks extra drinks on a friday evening so you ' pump ' them for information and post it on here :D

Thanks guys :o

Yeah Im super pleased, not 1st choice, but a great back up!

Lol Yeah I know, I'll be curious myself! Need to play it cool... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Thanks guys :o

Yeah Im super pleased, not 1st choice, but a great back up!

Lol Yeah I know, I'll be curious myself! Need to play it cool... :cool:

Did you apply for the job or were you trying for constable and got offered it instead?

• Advertisement

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Did you apply for the job or were you trying for constable and got offered it instead?

Oh I applied for it of course, back in 2009. The recruitment freeze seemed to affect it badly. I'm one of the 1st batch to be placed (2 yrs later), and possibly last because of 50:50 ending in March, so I was very lucky :)

Applied for officer and civilian staff hoping to get at least one of them.

Wouldn't it be great if you got a 'booby' prize like that!

Aww congrats! Atleast that softens the blow a bit, may not be the gold prize but sure, gets you in the door atleast and close to where you want to be! I mind I was going to apply for that too back then, kind of regret now that I didn't :o

I reckon no matter what happens in the future to sway the applicant numbers either way whenever the next campaign should be, I think it's safe to say that the ride ain't going to get any easier. Whatever there may be to deter people from applying (dissident threat etc) there's always going to be something to outweight it and push the numbers back up again. My bet's on an incredibly fierce competition...well bring it on :D (please!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 don quixote 3

Disappointing to find this out from an internet forum rather than the psni but not unexpected given the way this recruitment campaign has been mishandled so far.

I wonder if they really needed to wait until March before they informed people that their time had been wasted or indeed if we will actually get some correspondence about this any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

It's not over until you get a Dear John.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Agree with Gee there untill the letter arrives it isnt officially over. Unfortunatly there are no more planned intakes and they still havent made a decision on 5050 by the looks of things we will be in limbo for another while before being put of our misery. melt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Agree with Gee there untill the letter arrives it isnt officially over. Unfortunatly there are no more planned intakes and they still havent made a decision on 5050 by the looks of things we will be in limbo for another while before being put of our misery. melt.

Chin up there - may be a while, but maybe there will be an intake later in the year ( I know I am not alone in hoping this ) but until I get a letter telling me to sod off then I will remain positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

28.03.11... almost the end of March. Has anyone actually received a 'Dear John' or any other correspondence from PSNI? Being optimistic no news = good news but it really sucks to float around in this suspension and not knowing a thing..

nat_ wrote: »
    28.03.11... almost the end of March. Has anyone actually received a 'Dear John' or any other correspondence from PSNI? Being optimistic no news = good news but it really sucks to float around in this suspension and not knowing a thing..

Would agree with your line of thinking - I too have not heard anything as yet - would like to think with the activities of the last day or so there may be hope for another 1 or 2 intakes - fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

i know we all think it, want it and to be honest it would be a complete waste of money not to take from current vetting ongoing/medical candidates and finish this and put it to bed.

Rant over

sharan wrote: »
    i know we all think it, want it and to be honest it would be a complete waste of money not to take from current vetting ongoing/medical candidates and finish this and put it to bed.

Rant over

Re the waste of money - since when would that be the sensible course of action and believe me having been out of work for two years, having applied for hundreds of jobs including C15 nobody wants to see the current merit pool being used more than me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

I wondered the other day if all this talk of March being the last intake is just in relation to the last intake for Garnerville and then plan of moving all new recruit training intakes to the new facility at Desertcreat, i pressume there will be a bit of a delay before they open the doors to students.

Anybody any idea when it will be operational?

Again i may just be clutching to desperate straws.

No chance.

For a start I would be surprised if there was a student in Desertcreat before 2015.

So our vetting and Medicals would be well, well out of date.

I would also expect the PSNI to need to have had more recruits before then.

Probably best not to clutch at straws and just wait and see how things pan out over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nat_

I am afraid I have to agree with Gee-22, from what I heard the new training facility will not be open till 2014.. that's a ling way from here

To my knowledge construction work has not even started on the new training facility , has anyone heard different ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sri19

Does anyone know if recruitment are still taking calls?

• Advertisement

Sri19 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if recruitment are still taking calls?

I haven't heard that they're not accepting calls - are you having difficulty getting your calls picked up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sri19

No I haven't rang yet but I think I will ring in the morning!

Check out the link from the Telegraph - if this story is accurate then it means very few opportunities for the foreseeable future.

50-60 recruits for the next 8 or 9 years?? Kill me now :( Better than nothing I suppose, but that makes for some incredibly slim chances for a very very long time for us all.

I suppose with 50/50 been going so long and the high intake numbers that came with it they can now easily cope with small or even no recruitment at all for a while now yet still keep the numbers looking healthy.

Will be very interesting to see if that is correct exactly what the recruitment process for these places is going to be...

50-60 recruits per year is the opinion of one local politician.

I would read more into it if it was a statement from the chief constable.

When politicians say things, there is usually an ulterior reason for what they say. Particularly when an election is around the corner.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    50-60 recruits per year is the opinion of one local politician.

I would read more into it if it was a statement from the chief constable.

When politicians say things, there is usually an ulterior reason for what they say. Particularly when an election is around the corner.

+ 1 , the Assembly elections in May could well have a bearing on what is being said and I agree that the word of Matt Baggott would carry a lot more weight.
    Has anyone noticed how little David Ford as Justice Minister has to say about Policing in general ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I would just like to wish all those non-RCs who scored highly,yet didnt get in,all the best.Things are changing in our society which we are going to have to get used to.

Dont get me wrong.Im not preaching here,as we have had a decade to get used to this (positive)discrimination.

If you look at the numbers applying and passing from the various stages over the last decade itll be interesting to see how they decide the successful applicants from now on.Probably keep themselves right with a 70/30 split....all fair there right?

If someone breaks into my house,I want the most able cop possible coming to help me,be he(ffs or she)white ,black or pink(suppose we cant say that now..tough)I want the most intelligent,capable police bloody person there.Society has gone to hell in a hand cart.I wish you all well and take my rant with a pinch of(white) salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

Well Guys and Girls thats it, spoke to a pal and he said expect Dear Johns in the next week.

Thank you and good night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

Well Guys and Girls thats it, spoke to a pal and he said expect Dear Johns in the next week.

Thank you and good night

Hope your wrong but i suppose it'll put us out of our misery, that sucks hopefully they'll let us know what the future plans are too but they will probably be as transparent as always. I'm sure we'll be re-nited in our misery soon enough and provide the shoulders we need good luck in all your future attempts and endevours.

• Advertisement

Thank you and good night

Is your pal in the know?

Are the Dear Johns for everyone or just the wait till March letters?

Advertisement