Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a Tsunami hit our coast, one day?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

I'm not talking about today or this weekend, or basically because of what's going on now. But realistically could we get hit?
    Having looked at this pic I can't see why we're any different to the rest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

bc dub wrote: »
    I'm not talking about today or this weekend, or basically because of what's going on now. But realistically could we get hit?

It depends on how the plates are moving. I remember from Leaving cert geography that the mid atlantic plates are pulling away from each other which just results in Volcanos. They most violant seismic behaviour comes from plates that collide or slide along one another.

http://geology.com/noaa/atlantic-ocean-tsunami/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i doubt it the plate border is too far out but if the plates moved loads really quickly then maybe but its unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

One day - yes

Anytime in the next few hundred years - no

There's always the threat of a Tsunami. Does this country have any plan in place for this eventuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes. Anything is possible. The scale of it is another matter.

During the Lisbon earthquake and tsunami in 1755 it was said that boats in Cork harbour were lifted several feet by a high wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I,ll be in the local :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Only if everyone in the UK flushed their toilets at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

There's always the threat of a Tsunami. Does this country have any plan in place for this eventuality?
    we hardly have a plan for a bit of snow and ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This country was barely able to plan for a bit of snow over the Winter, what are the odds we've ever made a plan for a Tsunami?

Yeah, we're screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Cybertron85

Oh no! Limerick might be wiped off the map :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bc dub wrote: »

Just looking at the photo of the plates there. I've walked in the crack in the earth caused by the separation of the plates in Iceland. Cool stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Tabnabs wrote: »

Remember seeing something about this on National Geographic. Basically Cork would be destroyed. And much of the rest of the South would be severally damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Iodine tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sergeant wrote: »
    Out of Date Iodine tablets.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

God I hope not! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Why the big hype about Tsunami's anyway ?

Yes they can be baddd muttafukkas but prior to the unusually severe one which took place in the Pacific a few years back most people hadnt a clue what a Tsunami was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Sergeant wrote: »
    Iodine tablets.

My flatmates snorted them at the time so were all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

If Mary Harney jumps in the sea ... Maybe... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

The topography of the seabed, with the mid atlantic ridge precludes a tsunami form the mid atlantic fault line ever reaching Ireland as anything other than a slightly large swell.

The Canary Island Collapse tsunami on the other hand.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The government will gather to nominate an emergency comittee and give them instructions to begin immeditiately making plans to hold a meeting. This process will most likely take several weeks so won't be able to actually do anything, but it will be able to launch a major independant review of the tsunami, and on the foot of this issue a number of key recommendations. It is expected that among these recommendations would be the creation of a so called "bad coast", which would purchase all of the most worthless useless assets from the NAMA portfolio and place them along the so called "bad coast" in the hope that another tsunami will destroy them and leave the rest of us alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Oh no! Limerick might be wiped off the map :D

So would Cork :D

Oh Shít

So would Galway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

a tsunami south of ireland in say spain or portugal could cause major damage to the southcoast of ireland, a tsunami out in the mid atlantic would be less destructive given the high mountains/cliffs all along our western coast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I presume if there was a big quake around the Gulf of Mexico and the Eastern side of the States we could get a Tzunami very easily.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JDfan

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    Remember seeing something about this on National Geographic. Basically Cork would be destroyed. And much of the rest of the South would be severally damaged.

Cork would be destroyed oh no :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ya, take the iodine pill they gave us years ago, and hope for the best. Buying a house near a big hill might be an idea too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

sorry sargeant - you got there before me.

we could line up all the electronic voting machines along the coast to act as a barrier tho. At least they'd be good for something. How many millions again....?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

We would all run for high ground on our mountain of free cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If an Asteroid or a meteorite hits the sea there would be a massive tremor and the waves would definitely hit Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Why the big hype about Tsunami's anyway ?

Yes they can be baddd muttafukkas but prior to the unusually severe one which took place in the Pacific a few years back most people hadnt a clue what a Tsunami was.

It was the Indian Ocean but your point is valid.

Advertisement