Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leo Varadkar gets Transport

• 09-03-2011 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Sickened that Coveney is not the MoT.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

Tremelo wrote: »
    Sickened that Coveney is not the MoT.

Why? He didn't show himself to be too up to speed on the brief while in opposition.

Varadkar is an interesting choice - he's bright and very able.

Let's see how he gets on before judging him.

Have to wonder how he will handle Metro North and West and Dart Underground - all three serve his constituency!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Delighted that Costello isn't despite being a Labour member.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Leo Varadkar (Fine Gael) has been nominated as the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport.

A rather bizarre collection of responsibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Jack Noble wrote: »
    Why?

Assured delivery of the much-needed N28 for one thing. We'll see what Varadkar does. He is bright and able as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

"Varadkar is an interesting choice - he's bright and very able.

Let's see how he gets on before judging him.

Have to wonder how he will handle Metro North and West and Dart Underground - all three serve his constituency![/QUOTE]

yes it is interesting in that LV himself avails of public transport from time to time. Encouraging selection in that portfolio ).

• Advertisement

Assured delivery of the much-needed N28 for one thing.

I thought we were trying to get away from parish pump politics?

Although, in fairness, Leo could get to put three bloody great pumping stations in his parish.

As for Joe Costello getting Transport - there was more chance of Noel Dempsey keeping the job than that Nimby clown getting the gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Jack Noble wrote: »
    I thought we were trying to get away from parish pump politics?

Please don't insinuate that that's my angle. The case for the N28 is enormous on a national basis, with a likely return of tens of billions of euro. The fact that Coveney is from Carrigaline simply means he's all the more aware of this and better positioned to deliver it, in addition to other much needed Cork infrastructure that would be of unquestionable national benefit. It's not about the parish pump at all. Quite the opposite.

Also, Coveney actually travels a lot. I happen to think that a transport minister should travel a lot. I'm not sure how often Varadkar leaves the capital, which is where he was born, where he studied, and where he works. It's a little point perhaps, but I could well imagine that Coveney would have a greater appreciation of what needs doing around the country. Again, just a hunch. We'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Leo Varadkar (Fine Gael) has been nominated as the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport.

A rather bizarre collection of responsibilities.

I agree. As I just posted in another forum, it looks like they didnt know what to do so just lumped the left overs in together at the end. Transport, Communications and Energy should have been amalgamated under one infrastructure department. Also, Environment is the obvious home for Natural Resourses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Please don't insinuate that that's my angle. The case for the N28 is enormous on a national basis, with a likely return of tens of billions of euro. The fact that Coveney is from Carrigaline simply means he's all the more aware of this and better positioned to deliver it, in addition to other much needed Cork infrastructure that would be of unquestionable national benefit. It's not about the parish pump at all. Quite the opposite.

Also, Coveney actually travels a lot. I happen to think that a transport minister should travel a lot. I'm not sure how often Varadkar leaves the capital, where he was born, where he studied, and where he works. It's a little point perhaps, but I could well imagine that Coveney would have a greater appreciation of what needs doing around the country. Again, just a hunch. We'll wait and see.

Nothing unusual in Coveney not getting the portfolio that he was shadow spokesman for - not that long in fairness as it was only since the heave. You say he travelled a lot but did he use public transport much? Anyway, I don't like Varadkar as he comes across as an arrogant twit who won't listen to anybody but perhaps I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I find the algamating transport, tourism and sport for one ministry rather strange. It should have been transport, communications and energy. I'm happy Varadkar got the job, he looks to have some enthusisam and hopefully he will do much better than Dempsey did but that wont be too hard even if he is over sport and tourism also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Tech3 wrote: »
    I find the algamating transport, tourism and sport for one ministry rather strange. It should have been transport, communications and energy. I'm happy Varadkar got the job, he looks to have some enthusisam and hopefully he will do much better than Dempsey did but that wont be too hard even if he is over sport and tourism also.

I can see how tourism and transport might play off each other in some respects. I'd agree though that Sports certainly has a feeling it was just "thrown in"

Varadkar has proven himself a competent and capable speaker and I agree he seems like the kind of person who would be enthusiastic and really get behind his brief. So I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table once he gets stuck in.

Slightly off-topic, but the encouraging feeling of actual capability (at least compared to the outgoing cretins) is one I get from the whole cabinet, not just Varadkar in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

From an infrastructure point of view I'd be interested if they can deliever my favourite "Hoby Horse" FTTH (Fibre to the Home), it's in the docs etc but it be interesting what sort of timetable they propose to spend the €2billion required to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but the encouraging feeling of actual capability (at least compared to the outgoing cretins) is one I get from the whole cabinet, not just Varadkar in particular.

Its looking good for MN/DU. Huge Dublin-heavy govt.. Dublin transport minister, large vocal lobby in cabinet. In contrast to previous, largely rural regime, which had become as brittle as creme brulee and beholden to randomly located independents.

It all points to a renewed, pragmatic focus on Dublin's core infrastructure and its huge, gaping holes. Hopefully now, instead of getting the odd randomly-placed low-spec tram line, govt can get to the heart of the problem and build the city tunnels.

Sure whats a few more billion at this stage anyway, right? At least we'll get something real in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Its looking good for MN/DU. Huge Dublin-heavy govt.. Dublin transport minister, large vocal lobby in cabinet. In contrast to previous, largely rural regime, which had become as brittle as creme brulee and beholden to randomly located independents.

It all points to a renewed, pragmatic focus on Dublin's core infrastructure and its huge, gaping holes. Hopefully now, instead of getting the odd randomly-placed low-spec tram line, govt can get to the heart of the problem and build the city tunnels.

Sure whats a few more billion at this stage anyway, right? At least we'll get something real in return.

Nice sentiments and I agree. However I always fear the Irish political mindset, which has yet to grasp real public transport expenditure.

As for LV, he has his chance and as is usual, only time will tell. But his departments combo set up, suggests that sport and transport are secondary to tourism, which has been identified as a basket case that needs fixing. With respect to the incoming Government it doesn't look like transport is high on their agenda. Its relegation to a somewhat bizarre combo dept. says a lot really.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Leo Varadkar is should be great news for Dart, Metro North and Metro West. Unlike many people here he seems to understand the importance of the Dart upgrades and the Metro projects to the Dublin region and thus to the country. On Metro West, he is from an area that helps him understand its importance to the west of Dublin and the city overall.

How will he do? As DWCommuter said -- Time will tell.

Also, Coveney actually travels a lot. I happen to think that a transport minister should travel a lot. I'm not sure how often Varadkar leaves the capital, which is where he was born, where he studied, and where he works. It's a little point perhaps, but I could well imagine that Coveney would have a greater appreciation of what needs doing around the country. Again, just a hunch. We'll wait and see.

Given that most people mostly travel around, and in and out of urban areas (not across the country), Leo Varadkar is a better choice if your measure is linking the best choice to where people travel.

One of the things that needs to be done is to improve people's choices in and out of and around cities and towns in a way which reduces congestion. Doing that will have the knock-on effect of improving cargo flows and freeing the roads for people who need to drive for work or because they really have no choice.

Transport, coms and energy would make sense but would be a very large and powerful department. Too large for one minister would likely to be the reason it would not happen.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    But his departments combo set up, suggests that sport and transport are secondary to tourism, which has been identified as a basket case that needs fixing. With respect to the incoming Government it doesn't look like transport is high on their agenda. Its relegation to a somewhat bizarre combo dept. says a lot really.

What do you mean? It's called the Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport, that would suggest transport first? It's a very strange mix anyway, and I'm not sure how healthy it is to change departments around like this.

As for the mix, I think it was more about getting the new departments they wanted (and maybe the mix of other ones).

D.L.R. wrote: »

Not all Dublin TDs will be pro public transport and not all non-Dublin TDs will be anti-public transport.

monument wrote: »
    What do you mean? It's called the Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport, that would suggest transport first? It's a very strange mix anyway, and I'm not sure how healthy it is to change departments around like this.

I don't believe that the Depts. title is representative of the order of preference. The mix is both strange and unhealthy as you said. I think tourism is getting a heavy spend and focus, while transport and sport are victims of previous heavy spends, albeit ill conceived in some respects.

My analysis is based on trends. Just look at how long it took to get a dedicated DOT. We reached a peak and now I fear that recession has us on a downward, diluted spiral. (a bit like it used to be)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Back in 96 it was known as TEAC Transport energy&comms Mr Lowry was in the hot seat back then,I wonder will Leo start straight away by trying to privatise the public transport end of things.
    Another poster reckons that he comes across as an ignorant twat well I can confirm that he does bit of a motor mouth imo but when questioned about specific topics waffles on like the rest of the them hopefully he will do better than dempsey then again that cant be to hard.
    Hey who remembers dempsey on the last word telling us poor folk in order for us not to damage our wheels we should drive slowly into the pot holes, Also afaik Leo lives in a built up area so I dont think he will get to use the army choppers like dempsey did due to rotar wash etc.

Tipp North Labour TD and former MEP Alan Kelly is the junior in transport - his role is 'Public and Commuter Transport'.

Shows new govt is taking the matter seriously.

Will be interesting to hear what Leo and Kelly have to say once they get the full briefings from DoT officials, NTA, RPA and Irish Rail on Metro North and Dart Underground, the other rail projects and 2030 Vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I hope that the Leo remembers there is an Ireland beyond the commuter belt and it would like to get around quickly as well. Not saying Dublin should be ignored or anything but that a fair balance is struck between both sides of the Shannon.
    If we are perfectly honest, I don't think we've ever had a disastrous Minister for Transport in the last 10+ years and I hope this continues

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

flazio wrote: »
    I hope that the Leo remembers there is an Ireland beyond the commuter belt and it would like to get around quickly as well. Not saying Dublin should be ignored or anything but that a fair balance is struck between both sides of the Shannon.
    If we are perfectly honest, I don't think we've ever had a disastrous Minister for Transport in the last 10+ years and I hope this continues

:D:D:D

You're so right...... :pac:

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »

Martin Cullen who presided over the privatisation of Aer Lingus and Noel Dempsey who presided over the farcial closure of the South Wexford Railway, the opening of the nonsensical WRC and truncated Navan rail link. I won't even go into some of the other nonsense concerning Seamus Brennan and Aer Rianta, Luas extensions etc. Yes, all in all three great Transport Ministers in ten years - where were you living? :rolleyes:

Leo's priorities as reported in the IT.
    Mr Varadkar said the priorities for his Department would be the abolition of the travel tax, the reform of some labour agreements to make tourism more competitive and to have integrated ticketing within a year.

Of course this doesn't mean everything else is forgotten, but I suspect there will be a heavy emphasis on tourism, because it has a strong lobby across the Hotel/Restaurant/Pub sector and its seen as a potential job creator. What Kelly can achieve as Junior minister is anyones guess at this early stage.

I'm quietly confident that he will be a total failure as he has his head very far up his arse - remember where you heard it first. Actually I think the first clues were on Tonight with Vincent Browne. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I'm quietly confident that he will be a total failure as he has his head very far up his arse - remember where you heard it first. Actually I think the first clues were on Tonight with Vincent Browne. :D

Give the man a chance. He's in my constituency and I voted for him. He provided good opposition last term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

mgmt wrote: »
    Give the man a chance. He's in my constituency and I voted for him. He provided good opposition last term.

Easy to criticise - some people do it for a living. Dave Fanning can knock the sh1t out of the Godfather, but i dont see him coming up with a script for a sequel

Varadakar is an intelligent man, but i have to say i also think hes a smug git. If i saw him at a party with alot of fun people, id still not hang with them just cos he's there. He's Buzz Killington in all but name.

Varadakar is an intelligent man, but i have to say i also think hes a smug git. If i saw him at a party with alot of fun people, id still not hang with them just cos he's there. He's Buzz Killington in all but name.

So is Michael O'Leary. Leo has been in the job 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

You can be pro public transport and against Metro North as it stands. He seems a highly intelligent politician and will make up his own mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Martin Cullen who presided over the privatisation of Aer Lingus and Noel Dempsey who presided over the farcial closure of the South Wexford Railway, the opening of the nonsensical WRC and truncated Navan rail link. I won't even go into some of the other nonsense concerning Seamus Brennan and Aer Rianta, Luas extensions etc. Yes, all in all three great Transport Ministers in ten years - where were you living? :rolleyes:
    Still though, not nearly as bad as the Health Ministries, And lets be fair the road infrastructure has come along leaps and bounds, the fact we have a Luas at all, opening of the Intercity bus market and the lessening of road deaths that seems to have brought along.
    I'll agree the rail sector needs a major shake up but I still think it does have a part to play in commuter life outside of Dublin and the commuter belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

What about the fact that every major road into and out of Dublin has more than one toll on it bar the N2,Dempsey refused to mention about the $$$$ we the tax payer pay these private companies if they dont break even stating more or less that its top secret:rolleyes:.
    Saying that in all my years driving around Ireland both as a professional driver and car driver the roads have improved slightly,Now I'm going get flamed for saying this:pbut Mayo&Roscommon have some of the worst roads I have ever driving on the primary routes need to be updated to dual carraigeways this should have been done during our so called boom.
    As for the western sea board railway has there been a CBA done to prove wether or not it would be worth constructing,I remember there was a thread about moving our produce by rail rather than road the fact is our road transport network works very effiently at present but could be tweaked a bit more if some of the major roads to the west were improved.

• Advertisement

What about the fact that every major road into and out of Dublin has more than one toll on it bar the N2,Dempsey refused to mention about the $$$$ we the tax payer pay these private companies if they dont break even stating more or less that its top secret:rolleyes:.

You cannot toll a road that received EU funding.

Advertisement