Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Open University Module are you studying

Options
  • 02-09-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I am doing Childrens Literature EA300. Seriously considering taking Making Social Worlds DD308 as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

I'm starting MST121-Using Mathematics in October. Really looking forward to it!
    If I get on well with it I will do the MS221-Exploring Mathematics in Feb 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hey, I'm just finishing up AA100 - The Arts Past & Present. I think I'm gonna head down the Art History route but I quite fancy A251, World Archaeology first :) It starts in November (only 30 credits though :().

I probably should do another Level 1 course first but nothing takes my fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

I'm going to have a go at MU123 (maths), which starts in two weeks. Finished my NCEA diploma in 1997, have been working since, and want to start getting some more qualifications part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 salienten

did intro to social science last year... starting power, dissent and equality DD203 next week.. really looking forward to it and really enjoying the OU so far

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Just complete M326, Empires. It was interesting but I'll take a break before doing any more OU for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Bob1981

Starting DD101 - Into to the social sciences next week. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

im just finishing up DD303 - cognitive psych. Exam in just over a week....:p eek.

I really like the OU, but i do hate how they take the minimum grade of either exam or continuous assessment. If i mess up the exam, it pretty much makes all my hard work with the TMA's over the last few months pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I am new to the OU, so am going to take a look at the sticky at the top of the forum. I am starting an intorduction to business with them in Nov. Sent back my forms today and am going to pay them in installments. Have to say I am looking forward to it. Im not expecting it to be too hard of a course, and if I enjoy it I will continue on and do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

Im doing L192 - french. Its only 30 points and is 12 months long:eek:

Ive just had a year off after doing A103 (humanities) and A216 ( art and its histories) and cant wait to start again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I've just started A815 - MA in English Part 1, looking forward to getting into it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

I'm doing M150 - Data, Computing & Information. It's my 2nd OU course. Not quite back in the routine of studying yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Just starting my first OU module.. D822 - Investigating the Social World

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Starting A251, World Archaeology on Saturday and then AA307 Religon in History: Conflict, Conversion and Coexistence in February. looking forward to it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 southsidegal

Hi all
    I just signed up for DD101 - Introducing the Social Sciences which starts in Jan 2011. My first time to study in 15 years but bring it on! Was thinking of signing up for Child Development as well but its a Level 2 (also 60 credits) but nervous of taking on too much to start with as (although I have stopped work recently) I have two small children so not all that much free time, really just 2.5 hours in the mornings when they're at montessori. Has anyone else out there opted to do more than one 60 credit module at a time and if so, how are you finding it?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 felix09

Finished M208 in October. :eek: Be prepared to work hard and put in a lot of time. this was my first OU course and with hindsight, not the best to start with!! starting MST209 - Models and Methods in january and have already begun trying to get ahead. Time management for M208 definetely the key!! Good luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 starre

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    Starting A251, World Archaeology on Saturday and then AA307 Religon in History: Conflict, Conversion and Coexistence in February. looking forward to it! :)

World archaeology one is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 macam girl

I have prev done D121(social sciences), K101 (Health&social care), K204 (Health&social care) and I am now doing K217 (Health&social care)- love the OU- so handy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wiblick

I'm in my last year with the OU. Will be doing AA312 Total War & Social Change and A326 Empire in February. Going to the Total War summer school, have always wanted to go on another since A103.

Has anyone else noticed that not many Irish students use the forums etc with the OU, or maybe I choose the wrong courses?!

I've done A251 (archaeology), AD281(heritage), A200 (history), DD100 (old social sciences), A206 (old enlightenment), A103 (old intro to humanities), and started but didn't finish: ED209 (child psych), AA305 (renaissance) and can't remember the code (5th Century Athens).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Have done MST121, MS221, M248 (not at the same time!) and just finished M249. Exam results on 17th :eek:
    Starting M346 in a few more weeks.
    All towards a degree in Maths & Stats.
    Can only afford one module per year unfortunately so will take a while to get there. But sure it's good fun, so what harm?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hi all
    I just signed up for DD101 - Introducing the Social Sciences which starts in Jan 2011. My first time to study in 15 years but bring it on! Was thinking of signing up for Child Development as well but its a Level 2 (also 60 credits) but nervous of taking on too much to start with as (although I have stopped work recently) I have two small children so not all that much free time, really just 2.5 hours in the mornings when they're at montessori. Has anyone else out there opted to do more than one 60 credit module at a time and if so, how are you finding it?

Thanks!

First off, congratulations on deciding to get back into education.

I finished DD101 in June of this year, I've taken a break from further modules until February 2011 for family reasons. I found the course very manageable, I was away from formal study for 10 years when I started (though I had completed some professional training courses in work) so it was a good chance for me to get back into the habit of studying. A good portion of DD101 is about an introduction to study as much as it is about the social sciences.

I urge caution on consideration of taking on two 60pt courses at the same time, take this opportunity to find your feet and adjust your home life to allow for the necessary course work. Once you're confident that you can juggle all your commitments then have a think about taking on the extra workload. For reference, two 60pt modules would require approx 25hrs work a week.

One other thing to remember: you will be allocated a tutor who will hold regular tutorials for DD101, they are not compulsory but I'd highly recommend you attend as many as possible.

Finally, you will need your friends and family to understand that you have extra commitments that will take up your free time, and you might need some help to manage all of them along with your family life.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

zzxx wrote: »
    I'm doing M150 - Data, Computing & Information. It's my 2nd OU course. Not quite back in the routine of studying yet!

I'm due to start that in February, how you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nobber10

I am starting DD202 level 2 economics in february.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

Starting B190 - Introduction to bookkeeping and accounting in February....it's a new area to me altogether, should make for a busy time as I'm finishing another distance ed course through Oscail at the same time.....glutton for punishment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

In may I will be starting An introduction to business studies (B120) and You and your money: personal finance in context (DB123) towards a BSC in Computing & IT and Business.

Must say that I'm looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

First off, congratulations on deciding to get back into education.

I finished DD101 in June of this year, I've taken a break from further modules until February 2011 for family reasons. I found the course very manageable, I was away from formal study for 10 years when I started (though I had completed some professional training courses in work) so it was a good chance for me to get back into the habit of studying. A good portion of DD101 is about an introduction to study as much as it is about the social sciences.

I urge caution on consideration of taking on two 60pt courses at the same time, take this opportunity to find your feet and adjust your home life to allow for the necessary course work. Once you're confident that you can juggle all your commitments then have a think about taking on the extra workload. For reference, two 60pt modules would require approx 25hrs work a week.

One other thing to remember: you will be allocated a tutor who will hold regular tutorials for DD101, they are not compulsory but I'd highly recommend you attend as many as possible.

Finally, you will need your friends and family to understand that you have extra commitments that will take up your free time, and you might need some help to manage all of them along with your family life.

Best of luck.

Thanks for that, my OH is planning to do the DD101 module that starts in Oct 2011, he is a bit nervous about returning to study. Can I ask how much it cost because the fee is showing as not available yet.

What degree are you doing? He is still undecided between Psychology & Criminology & Psychological Studies, both have DD101 as level 1 though so he has a while to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 packiec50

felix09 wrote: »
    Finished M208 in October. :eek: Be prepared to work hard and put in a lot of time. this was my first OU course and with hindsight, not the best to start with!! starting MST209 - Models and Methods in january and have already begun trying to get ahead. Time management for M208 definetely the key!! Good luck to all

I am planning on doing this course, M208, I can bypass the lower level courses (MST121 Using Mathematics and MS221 Exploring Mathematics) due to past credit, but am not sure if I should do that and then struggle on the Pure Mathematics module

Could you give me some idea of what level of maths I would need before starting this?

Laydee wrote: »
    Thanks for that, my OH is planning to do the DD101 module that starts in Oct 2011, he is a bit nervous about returning to study. Can I ask how much it cost because the fee is showing as not available yet.

What degree are you doing? He is still undecided between Psychology & Criminology & Psychological Studies, both have DD101 as level 1 though so he has a while to decide.

Original plan was to study International Studies but I may change that depending on work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rimbaud

Original plan was to study International Studies but I may change that depending on work.

How far are you through your current degree?
    Are you thinking of another degree outside of the International Studies degree? Environmental studies/science?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Nearly finished my first course with OU. I'm doing Data, Computing & Information (M150).

I'm doing it in the hope of building up a degree in computer programming.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement