Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Korn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Was recently going through some old Korn albums I had (was doing a cull on the cd collection). And have to say that the first two still stand up, but after that it gets a little iffy.

I mean they've great singles off the latter albums but I wish they would do a Deftones and evolve from writing teenager-angst ridden songs that have no bearing on me now.

Gotta love the video for Twisted Transistor though.

Also shocked the absolute sh!te out of me when I saw that Terry Bozzio was with them for an album! They didn't utilize him at all!

<google>

Ok maybe they did, a little! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I've outgrown them now, but first two albums especially debut are still good for a listen. Have had some great singles down through the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Been a Korn fan since I heard Blind on a Metal Hammer sampler CD many,many moons ago.

While they have gotten progressively,well,crappier,"Korn" was and still is an outstanding debut album and one of the best debuts of the 90s IMO.

They just seem fat and lazy now.

Plus they helped excrete Fred "wrote a song about Britney fookin Spears" Durst onto the world.

That is nearly unforgiveble.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

chin_grin wrote: »
    Was recently going through some old Korn albums I had (was doing a cull on the cd collection). And have to say that the first two still stand up, but after that it gets a little iffy.

I mean they've great singles off the latter albums but I wish they would do a Deftones and evolve from writing teenager-angst ridden songs that have no bearing on me now.

Gotta love the video for Twisted Transistor though.

Also shocked the absolute sh!te out of me when I saw that Terry Bozzio was with them for an album! They didn't utilize him at all!

<google>

Ok maybe they did, a little! :eek:

Terry Bozzio is ****ing mental, epic kits. Brilliant on the tour with Fantômas, drumming with Zappa was great too.

KoRn have always hit a soft spot with me. The were quite mainstream and considered somewhat 'Nu' back a decade ago, and I never dug any of that stuff, I didn't like their fans either, they reminded me of the type of fans Slipknot and Deftones have, bunch of whiny scene kids that are just a pain in the hole - but their music was cool. They had a heavy grainy sound that appealed to me, sometimes slow and sludgy, dragging every bit of heaviness from the note, then they had their uptempo bouncy riffs. That detuned wall of noise worked well with any KoRn riff. And as a bassist I have big props for Fieldy - a cousin of my cousin bought a custom K5 new a couple of years ago and was like "phwaorrrrr!", quite tempted to nick it still! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I came onboard later than the nineties and have to admit, the first two albums don't do it for me. FTL and Issues was the Korn I came to know.
    I do agree that there was a decline in standard after those but I don't know what it is, the first two albums just sound too gritty and indistinguishable from everything else around at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I might be the odd one out, but these days I really like See You On The Other Side, Untouchables and Take A Look In The Mirror

LOOOOOOVE their acoustic album too, it's just amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Huge fan here! I'm a bit of an oddball though, I find the first two to be very patchy and unpleasant. Hardly ever listen to them. I've loved everything from Follow the Leader onwards, Untouchables and Take a Look in the Mirror in particular ("Right Now" is their best imo). Korn III is great, not so much a return to form in my view as another great record from a great band.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

There first album will always have a special place in my heart.love it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I got the unplugged album and had really high expectations becasue experimenting seems to be something Korn are good at.

Unfortunately though, some experiments do fail and I was very dissapointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Up until recently I hadn't listened to any of the albums released after Untouchables. I don't know, once Right Now was released I just lost interest, I spun Take a Look in The Mirror once and decided I didn't like it at all. When that song that was "leaked" for Korn III was released last year it got me interested again. So I acquired most of the albums released since Untouchable and gave them a good listening to, and I've ended up loving Korn III and Untitled.

This song particularly stands out for me, I wasn't expecting a song this dissonant to be something they'd release nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

They are playing a small venue in Holland ... few tickets left

http://www.013.nl/event/3602_korn

can't go ..... gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was hoping they would announce something over here as they have been slowly releasing European dates here and there....doesn't look likely though. I think the days of seeing anything other than the current big 'Alternative' bands (MCR,Green Day, etc) is gone.

I am/was a big fan and Korn are probably the first proper band I got into in my early teens. Their first album is great right from the opening ' Aaaaarrrreee youuuu reeeaaddddyyyy?'...and it continues right the way through, even if some of the lyrics come across as cringe worthy now. Still a great album.

Life is peachy never really caught my attention but, it has a good single in A.D.I.D.A.S...and Kill You is great, especially live.

Follow the leader...is pretty much Follow the Leader. A decent album but it's Korn watered down and appealing to the masses.

I think Issues, Untouchables, and Take a look in the mirror were really good albums and returns to form. Issues just has this real haunting kind of sound to it which is amazing. Untouchables tends to be too easily dismissed because it has a more toned down sound but I played it repeatedly when it came out and still stick it on in the car the odd time and feel it has held up well. Take a Look In The Mirror returns to the heavy sound and I think here they hit a peak of combining their gritty sound with anthem like chorus'.

After this I kinda stopped listening for some reason. I have a copy of See You on The Other Side but I don't think I have every listened to it. Untitled got a few listens but nothing really stuck out for me and I have heard nothing but good stuff for Korn III but again have not got around to listening to it...I really should.

So there is my long winded way of saying yeah I am a fan and looking back across that Korn actually provide the soundtrack to my life through my teenage years....ahh the memories.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Kind of lost interest in the middle of Untouchables... Shame really because the first 4 songs were brilliant as was "Wake up Hate" and I loved every album before then, (Even "Life is Peachy" which I heard they apologised for!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

Used to be a big fan,had the self titled FTL and untouchables,enjoyed them all in moderation but I'm not mad on them anymore.They have some classic songs though(listening to my gift to you as i write this,cracking tune!).I'll always give them props for "opening" the door to heavier music for me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

few good songs from the 1st album ,went off them when i heard the follow up to it and then the 3rd one load of sh*t. and i wont listen to them ever again.

simples

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

First off I'd like to say thanks to everyone who's posted so far. I opened up this thread expecting to see a certain amount of guff posted but everyone's posted mature responses requiring no moderation on my part.

Korn are an interesting band for me. I first heard them on the much-missed 2FM Metal Show in the early nineties. They were just so different to the other stuff that was being played at the time. Stuff like Cradle of Filth, Biohazard, Smashing Pumpkins would come on and not prompt me to do anything but anytime, even now, when I hear the distinctive intro to Blind I've got to take notice and react to it.

Issues is probably my favourite album in that I like all of the songs on it. Most of the other albums have at least one filler song on there. Unfortunately the later albums seem to be mostly filler.
    Nailz wrote: »
    And as a bassist I have big props for Fieldy - a cousin of my cousin bought a custom K5 new a couple of years ago and was like "phwaorrrrr!", quite tempted to nick it still! :)
    What customisation was done to it? I have a K5 myself. It was a huge step up in quality from the Squier Precision I had before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Loved them a few years back. 1st album, Issues, Follow The Leader and TALITM were some of their best IMO. I didn't really warm to Untouchables and See you On the Other side was just complete crap. Remember finally getting to see them some years ago in the Point with Static X as support and they were awesome.

I've kind of moved away from rock/metal now but I still occasionally throw on some Korn when I'm having a few cans or out driving.

I actually really love See You On The Other Side, it was a change of pace, but there was some amazing songs on it. Untouchables was really good too.

I only recently got the untitled, and Remember Who You Are, so I'm not sure what I think of those yet, but first impressions are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

if i were a teen when they came to my attention i woulda been all over em, can't say they didn't pioneer though the music had some origins in industrial metal. speaking of their '90s output which i was subjected to.. old-schoolers didn't really come to terms with nu-metal for the most part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Great band, one of the first I got into when I started properly listening to music in 2000/1. First band i ever seen live aswell when i went to see them in '02. Have seen them 6 times since then with the Download second stage headline gig being the most dangerous I've been for crowd surging. Was great!:D:D

This is a pic of the crowd outside
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReMJop0jY1d93bPJam9Qk6t52dDYFF7WCygYfwZPUtHldy0Ywj&t=1

Can never really decide my fav album by them but usually Issues/Untouchables are the first I go for on my player.

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    What customisation was done to it? I have a K5 myself. It was a huge step up in quality from the Squier Precision I had before it.
    I forget actually, I'll give him a text and ask and then I'll get back to you. Yeah I saw the photo on your Into The Pit thread, a K5 and a K7 would you mind, very in signature instruments. Personally I love Ibanez's, only have one Ibanez bass myself, an SRX350-NT, it's a real joy to play, it's by far my most played instrument.

The thing I found notoriously cool about the K5 is that it is rediculously light, even for an Ibanez. I read an interview with Fieldy and he said the main thing he liked about Ibanez's was their lightness and the one thing he really want to achieve in making and helping design the K5 was total lightness. The bass that this dude has, I'm not sure if it's the same with production line K5's, is the lovely pure dark wood finish to it, no varnish or glossary, just a great smooth matte like surface. Out of all the instruments I have in the house, the Ibanez is the one I wouldn't sell.

Edit: Got a text back. The body is different, the production bass has a semi varnished black coloured mahogany body, as you know of course, his is a pure dark mahogany body, smoothed matte surface as said before. He also said there were other minor adjustments that he can't remember so they're obviously insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Used to be a huge fan, ghe music kinda went poorer from Life is Peachy on wards, but each album had a good song or 3.

The reason I really turned on them is nothing to do with their music. Its to do with the band.

Back in 96, I went over to see them in the Astoria. Arrived off the flight, then went to Astoria to see if I could catch a sig or 2. In the afternoon the band got off the tour bus and came over to see the 20 or so fans who were waiting. They hung around for 20 minutes signing stuff, chatting, goofin and that. I was only 20 at the time and it was deadly. The gig was brilliant, and I went to see them again on the following Monday in Dublin.

At the time my bro was only 9. He has since grown into a bigger Korn fan than I ever was. 3 years ago iirc (January) we were walking through the baggage reclaim in Dublin Airport, and lo and behold, we walk straight into Korn. My bro had a fit, got sll excited and stuff, but wouldnt go over to them, so I went over to JD and Fieldy lookin for a sig for my bro, they wouldnt. JD shook his head, and Fieldy said 'not today'. I tried again, and their security said they wouldnt be doing anything.

Well it really pi55ed me off. My bro was gutted, and I just thought in hindsight, it was a case of fat lazy superstars V up and coming 'need all the fans' band they were in 96.

We were the only people who copped them in the airport, it wouldnt have fukin killed them to sign a T shirt :mad: , we were going to the gig that night and the following night :mad:

really liking their untitled album

it's a very different vibe from, like with see you on the other side, but very good. listening to it a lot.

still not sure about Korn III, it's like it's going back for an older kinda sound, but some good songs on there.

The thing I found notoriously cool about the K5 is that it is rediculously light
    That's true. It's also quite a narrow neck for a 5 string bass. My old Squier Precision feels really chunky in comparison and it's a 4 string bass.
    Nailz wrote:
    The body is different, the production bass has a semi varnished black coloured mahogany body, as you know of course, his is a pure dark mahogany body, smoothed matte surface as said before. He also said there were other minor adjustments that he can't remember so they're obviously insignificant.
    There are a few different colours of it available apparently. See this for example. Funnily enough when I searched for Ibanez K5, the pic I took came up in the results :).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Was a fan of the early stuff when it came out. Kinda lost touch with them since. I guess the unfortunate "nu" label kinda sank them for a most metallers.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Was a bit of a fan back in the day I must admit. First came across them when 'Fake' IIRC was included on a Metal Hammer compilation and just thought Fcuk me,thats heavy.
    Really really like the first 3 albums and Issues to a lesser extent but after that more or less stopped buying their albums(due to taste changes and IMO a decline in the quality of their music).
    Went to see them in the RDS 2002 I think and I have to say I thought they were brilliant,so loud and in yer face and and far better live than i had expected,I jumped around like I was an angry teenager again and left the RDS dripping with sweat. Was a bit disappointed when they pulled out of a support slot for Metallica outdoors in the RDS in 2005 or 2006 too.
    Still stick on any of the first 3/4 albums now and again just for old times sake!!!!

That's true. It's also quite a narrow neck for a 5 string bass. My old Squier Precision feels really chunky in comparison and it's a 4 string bass.
    How's the neck on your 6-String Ibanez might I ask? Obviously it wouldn't be as narrow nor light as the K5, but I'm just curious to see if it compares.
    There are a few different colours of it available apparently. See this for example. Funnily enough when I searched for Ibanez K5, the pic I took came up in the results :).
    Heh! Came up as the sixth result on Google, wins at Internet. :) I didn't really know of any varieties in the colour or design but there must be something that's unique about what he had done to his K5, the body on it is awesome though, first impressions can be described as "swoon".

Edit: Started wandering through Google Images there on the K5 and I found this. I feel kind of embarrassed for the guy.

How's the neck on your 6-String Ibanez might I ask? Obviously it wouldn't be as narrow nor light as the K5, but I'm just curious to see if it compares.
    If anything it feels thinner than the K5 which makes navigating it a breeze. Strangely though, the listed dimensions on the Internet would suggest the opposite is true. I must get around to doing a proper side-by-side comparison.
    Nailz wrote:
    I didn't really know of any varieties in the colour or design but there must be something that's unique about what he had done to his K5, the body on it is awesome though, first impressions can be described as "swoon".
    Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to me :o. I was showing Ishibashi to a mate of mine and lo and behold, someone was selling a K5. Playing 5 string bass wasn't something I was thinking too much about but one look at the bass in all its glory gave me a serious GAS attack. It's the only guitar I've ever bought without having a play of it first but it didn't disappoint me.
    Nailz wrote:
    Edit: Started wandering through Google Images there on the K5 and I found this. I feel kind of embarrassed for the guy.
    :eek: Let's hope whoever it is has saved a few quid and gotten a decent cover-up done.

If anything it feels thinner than the K5 which makes navigating it a breeze. Strangely though, the listed dimensions on the Internet would suggest the opposite is true. I must get around to doing a proper side-by-side comparison.
    My 6-String fretless Peavey has an average enough neck on it, but it's not difficult to play, far from it, but I still find after a bout of practice on it, it makes the Ibanez feel so easy to use because if it's slick neck. What model is the 6-String?
    Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to me :o. I was showing Ishibashi to a mate of mine and lo and behold, someone was selling a K5. Playing 5 string bass wasn't something I was thinking too much about but one look at the bass in all its glory gave me a serious GAS attack. It's the only guitar I've ever bought without having a play of it first but it didn't disappoint me.
    Ah, love at first sight ;). Cousin's cousin got his shipped out to him for €1,000. He's currently unemployed and in a bit of debt but he doesn't regret for one bit getting, all things considered, was adviced to sell it to make him some money but he laughed at the idea. Goes to show how attached he is. If it ever comes available, or any K5 for that matter, I'll consider consuming. Of you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

• Advertisement

My 6-String fretless Peavey has an average enough neck on it, but it's not difficult to play, far from it, but I still find after a bout of practice on it, it makes the Ibanez feel so easy to use because if it's slick neck. What model is the 6-String?
    Wow, a 6 string fretless. I've never played one of those. The furthest I went was a Warwick 5 string fretless. My 6 string is an SR706.
    Nailz wrote:
    Ah, love at first sight ;). Cousin's cousin got his shipped out to him for €1,000. He's currently unemployed and in a bit of debt but he doesn't regret for one bit getting, all things considered, was adviced to sell it to make him some money but he laughed at the idea. Goes to show how attached he is. If it ever comes available, or any K5 for that matter, I'll consider consuming. Of you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
    It was pretty similar for me. I had vaguely arranged a holiday away with a couple of mates but was going through a lean time at work so I hadn't a lot of spare cash. The GAS attack fixed that though. It's quite funny how your mind convinces you that if you don't go out boozing for a few weeks you'll save the cash :). I can't remember how much I paid overall, I'm pretty sure it was over €600 anyway. I do remember getting stung by customs as well which was a kick in the nuts.

Advertisement