Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomson TG585V7 from SMART in bridge mode? Solution is here!

• 07-01-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I think not I am the only one who wanted to use the Thomson modem with an own router. Unfortunately SMART restricted the firmware with a 2nd level password.

To use your Thomson TG585V7 in bridge mode the solution is here:

Download generic firmware from here:

http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-A/Alcatel/Modems/TG585/v7/Firmware/r8-2-3/Generic/tg585v7-8238u-generic-cant-p.bli.7z.php

If you have the downloaded it, extract it for example c:\temp\firmware.bli

Download a TFTP server from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tftp-server/

Enable the TFTP root for c:\temp in the configuration file

Download a bootp server from here:

http://www.brothersoft.com/bootp-desktop-106943.html

After installed bootp server go to configurations and add your routers MAC address to the list (where is 11-11-11... and 22-22-22....). You can find routers mac address on the box. Add two options, IP address should be with value 192.168.1.254, and Boot file with value: /firmware.bli

Set a fix IP address for your Ethernet card (DO IT ONLY VIA ETHERNET, FORGET WIFI FOR FIRMWARE UPGRADE!!!), for example 192.168.1.60.

Remove telephone line from your router and press reset button (wait long) until power led goes to amber (green->red->amber). If everything is fine, your router will reboot itself after 1-2 minutes with a brand new generic firmware without any password. DO NOT RESET THE ROUTER, WAIT UNTIL IT REBOOTS ITSELF!!!

If you are done, enter in the browser: http://192.168.1.254/ewizard.htm, and select bridge mode. After router is in bridge mode, you can reach it via 192.168.1.254, but it will allow through PPPoE as well.

That's all! Good luck!

One more comment, I suggest to start TFTP server in stand alone mode to see what happens. For me first time when router started to download the firmware, the TFTP ran into time out. I changed time out to 255, and decreased block size to 512 in the configuration file.

OF COURSE, BE AWARE, IF YOU DO THIS, YOU WILL LOOSE SUPPORT FROM SMART SIDE, AT LEAST MODEM CONFIGURATION SUPPORT!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Yeah, this works. With a large degree of fiddling (via the Telnet interface which becomes enabled with generic firmware) it was possible to create a bridge to one of the Ethernet ports where my router was attached, and retain LAN access to the router web config via another ethernet port... My setup basically had two Ethernet cables from it to my router: one to the WAN port on router, bridged and doing PPPoE, and the other to a LAN port so I could see how much traffic had passed. That was in the days of actual unlimited Smart though...

I'm afraid I can't remember how I did the setup, and as I'm no longer a Smart customer I sent the modem back to them... hopefully some poor sod didn't get sent it again!!!

Had a very happy experience with Smart it has to be said... but sadly unavailable in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

the_law wrote: »
    Yeah, this works. With a large degree of fiddling (via the Telnet interface which becomes enabled with generic firmware) it was possible to create a bridge to one of the Ethernet ports where my router was attached, and retain LAN access to the router web config via another ethernet port... My setup basically had two Ethernet cables from it to my router: one to the WAN port on router, bridged and doing PPPoE, and the other to a LAN port so I could see how much traffic had passed. That was in the days of actual unlimited Smart though...

I'm afraid I can't remember how I did the setup, and as I'm no longer a Smart customer I sent the modem back to them... hopefully some poor sod didn't get sent it again!!!

Had a very happy experience with Smart it has to be said... but sadly unavailable in Rathmines.

In their newest firmware telnet and ftp are restricted as well. In addition they leave a backdoor to them-self via VPN, they can anytime connect to my network, and I can't disable it because they don't tell me the password. I think it is not so fair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SeanyP321

I have completed your instructions...mainly because I can't stand having my firmware tied down to a company.

....but is this to say I could now use this for a second dd wrt router (which I have always wanted but have not been able to use due to pppoa/adsl restrictions. So I could use my thompson as a passthrough/brisge and plug a dsl ww drt modem into it?

This would be awesome for several reasons. If this is possible, will someone let me know and I will run out and buy second router now.

Thanks!!!!!!

SeanyP321 wrote: »
    I have completed your instructions...mainly because I can't stand having my firmware tied down to a company.

....but is this to say I could now use this for a second dd wrt router (which I have always wanted but have not been able to use due to pppoa/adsl restrictions. So I could use my thompson as a passthrough/brisge and plug a dsl ww drt modem into it?

This would be awesome for several reasons. If this is possible, will someone let me know and I will run out and buy second router now.

Thanks!!!!!!

With the new firmware you can switch the Thompson to bridge mode, so you can use any ADSL router after the device. Thomson will operate only as a modem.

Thanks, so to clarify, my new thompson 'modem' will allow me to plug a router that requires pppoe (with dd-wrt firmware) in without issue?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks, so to clarify, my new thompson 'modem' will allow me to plug a router that requires pppoe (with dd-wrt firmware) in without issue?

Thanks again

Yes, if you replace the firmware on the TG585V7. Bridge mode means it will route pppoe traffic from the LAN to WAN.

sorry to nag, but will I be able to have one router after it set to PPPoE and one to PPPoA?

You see, I have a box that improves my phone signal provided by Vodafone which plugs into my router currently.... but it requires PPPoA to operate (don't ask me why but it does).

I also want to set up a VPN router which requires PPPoE.

Would all this be possible?

So my setup would be ISP>thompson>
    > VPN router (PPPoE)
    > ANOTHER router (PPPoA)> vodafone box

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!

sorry to nag, but will I be able to have one router after it set to PPPoE and one to PPPoA?

You see, I have a box that improves my phone signal provided by Vodafone which plugs into my router currently.... but it requires PPPoA to operate (don't ask me why but it does).

I also want to set up a VPN router which requires PPPoE.

Would all this be possible?

So my setup would be ISP>thompson>
    > VPN router (PPPoE)
    > ANOTHER router (PPPoA)> vodafone box

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I have no clue how the router works in bridge mode with PPPoA. I would think it routes as well, but never tried.

Advertisement