Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Credit Card & Laser Card Purchase Limit

Options
  • 24-02-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

I was looking around online and pricing a new Laptop from Apple and a question came to mind about purchase limits. The one i'm pricing costs nearly €2,600.

At the moment i've a Maestro Laser Card and a Student Mastercard with a €600 limit. My question is about the purchase limits for buying online.

If I was to move the 2,600 onto my Mastercard to put it in credit by that much could I use it to buy online? Or the same with my Laser if i've the money in my account can I buy something so expensive. What is the purchase limit's on a Laser or Credit card.

I've searched online for quite a while and can't seem to come up with any answers. Wonder if anybody on here would know.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Laser normally has a purchase limit of €1500 per transaction IIRC.

You can, however, move the money on to the credit card and use it to purchase. There is (in theory) no limit on a credit card once you have the funds to cover it, or an approved credit limit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Laser normally has a purchase limit of €1500 per transaction IIRC.

You can, however, move the money on to the credit card and use it to purchase. There is (in theory) no limit on a credit card once you have the funds to cover it, or an approved credit limit :)

That sounds about right I thought there was a limit on laser cards. But I knew there had to be a way to pay for goods that go up to 5-10K with a credit card and I know most wont have those kinds of limits.

Thanks for your help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

DubDJ wrote: »
    That sounds about right I thought there was a limit on laser cards. But I knew there had to be a way to pay for goods that go up to 5-10K with a credit card and I know most wont have those kinds of limits.

Thanks for your help :D

If you are buying this over the internet you would be better to use a credit card then you will be able to claim your money back if the apple isn't delivered. Visa debit cards give the same protection as Visa and MasterCard credit cards but Laser cards don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JFeathers

There is no one transaction limit set for all Laser Cards or credit cards.

Transaction limits are set by the bank that issues the Laser or credit card, and by the bank that processes the transaction for the retailer and not by the card scheme e.g. Laser, Visa, Master Card.

It would be best to check with the bank that issued your card to see if any limits apply to your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Toboldlygo wrote: »
    If you are buying this over the internet you would be better to use a credit card then you will be able to claim your money back if the apple isn't delivered. Visa debit cards give the same protection as Visa and MasterCard credit cards but Laser cards don't.

The credit card will only cover up to it's credit limit, if anything goes wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement