Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Corps Toyota Avensis?

Options
  • 11-02-2011 2:36am

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone had, and fancied posting, a photograph of a new Toyota in Traffic Corps (battenburg) livery?

I have only seen the Toyota's sporting the single stripe so far, so I'm curious to see how battenburg looks. Though, that said, I've yet to see many Toyotas at all. I think I've only seen two, so far.

Cheers :)

Also, in relation to Toyota; as Ford do all the vans/jeeps for AGS, what will be the Toyota equivalents in future? As far as I know, Toyota don't really have anything in the van department?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone had, and fancied posting, a photograph of a new Toyota in Traffic Corps (battenburg) livery?

I have only seen the Toyota's sporting the single stripe so far, so I'm curious to see how battenburg looks. Though, that said, I've yet to see many Toyotas at all. I think I've only seen two, so far.

Cheers :)

Also, in relation to Toyota; as Ford do all the vans/jeeps for AGS, what will be the Toyota equivalents in future? As far as I know, Toyota don't really have anything in the van department?

I'll keep an eye out.

Like yourself I've only seen two normal squad cars (one stationed in my area). One saloon and estate.

Regarding vans I can only imagine that the Garda will stick to the Transits or the Fiat Ducatos unless they were to go with the Hiace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Foinse wrote:
    5355332363_95450c5f96_z.jpg

Tasty looking piece of kit. Not sure if I love it or not though. I think I prefer the "full" battenburg that was on the Mondeo, that stretched to the roof. I'm guessing cost cutting is the reason for that.

Out of curiousity Foinse, is that your image? Is that your Flickr? Would you happen to know where it is? Seems to be a garage/scrap yard where Emergency vehicles are born and killed. There's an unmarked Ambulance in one of the shots. Looks interesting, too.

EDIT: Just looking again, the decal does seem to go to the roof. In fact, it seems identical to the Mondeo's livery. Maybe it's just the different car that makes it look odd? Can't put my finger on it, but i don't think it looks as good, for some reason (not that it's a beauty contest).

IMO I thought that the Corps would of being given the 2.2. 2.0 seem a bit on the underpowered side for a TC car unless they were re-mapped. Although having said that there's not much difference in the two models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

mle1324 wrote: »
    IMO I thought that the Corps would of being given the 2.2. 2.0 seem a bit on the underpowered side for a TC car unless they were re-mapped. Although having said that there's not much difference in the two models.

TC mondeos are all 2.2ltr. Regular unit vehicles are 2.0.....and their is massive difference in handling etc.

This pic above is the demo model made my Toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I have to say i love the new light bar. Such a simple thing, but makes a big difference.

There is one of the regular Avensis's based where i am. Looks the the part. :)

swiftblade wrote: »
    I have to say i love the new light bar. Such a simple thing, but makes a big difference.

There is one of the regular Avensis's based where i am. Looks the the part. :)

Have to admit they do look the part :cool:

mle1324 wrote: »
    Just in case you think I was referring to the Mondeo's I wasn't :)

:

Sorry meant Avensis.....not mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Swords station near me got one of these, or maybe two - must say I've seen it out and about at night a few times now and it's lit up like a christmas tree. The rear low-level LEDs are very effective, never seen any ES light so bright. Might not be the fastest things in the world but they are very, very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Noticed one of these Avinsis (standard livery like 'teh sex who needs battenburg' estate in Foinse's other photos) with the new lightbar in Dundalk over Christmas and was very impressed.

• Advertisement

Just to confirm, they're not my photos. They're on flickr.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Coolock have one, and Bray seem to have the estate version with Traffic. They look the biz though. Have to say that.... drive one myself... and its white ;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Would you happen to know where it is? Seems to be a garage/scrap yard where Emergency vehicles are born and killed. There's an unmarked Ambulance in one of the shots. Looks interesting, too.

Wilker in Clara. They are mad busy again.

You might take a look at the Toyota website and look up the hiace. Anyway, this tender was only for patrol cars, no vans yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Seen a 2011 Toyota Avensis estate (standard livery) in Glasnevin last week...looked very nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ye my local station took delivery of a new saloon version in the past few days. (Dub South Central)

Looked the part :)

Out of curiousity, do these cars feature anything new? Aside from a thinner light bar, and a different company supplying them, are there any other features or such that were included specifically for Garda life that the Ford's didn't have?

Also not quite sure why the 'estate' version was ever made a Garda car, but it does look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Out of curiousity, do these cars feature anything new? Aside from a thinner light bar, and a different company supplying them, are there any other features or such that were included specifically for Garda life that the Ford's didn't have?

Also not quite sure why the 'estate' version was ever made a Garda car, but it does look nice.

AFAIK there's now lights in the boot lid. So when it's up they can be seen flashing, if that makes sence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

...Also not quite sure why the 'estate' version was ever made a Garda car, but it does look nice.

You can fit lot more cones, gear and crap in the boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I saw one like that driving in Coolock 2 day ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

is there a standard volume for garda sirens?

One of the new 'avensi'?!? passed me recently when i was out walking at night nearly deafened me! Very impressive lighting setup the only other garda vehicle i've seen with as much light is the RSU volvo.

Not complaining like, if a louder siren helps vehicles get to a scene more quickly then bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Little bit of boring Trivia - I put the first Battenburg pattern on Garda Cars and a Deauville back in the day.

Spotted an 11 D Avensis in Ballincollig yesterday, the fit out is incredible - that new lightbar looks the business, and it's brilliant to see a PTT button on the steering wheel too. Between that, and the Armed Response Volvos, the Garda Fleet's starting to look pretty damn good IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Are these patrol cars still being fitted out in the usual manner or has this responsibility been given to Toyota?

Either way it's good news that the cars have LED lightbars.

still in the usual manner, which I can't understand as the tender was specifically for a police special.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Just saw the new Tralee Toyota, looks very nice, only came today I'd say.

They were taking a fella out to the car in handcuffs from a Chinese restaurant.

The rear red LED's look noice!!

Any idea who is the lightbar manufacturer? Haztec again or Federal Signal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

is there a standard volume for garda sirens?

One of the new 'avensi'?!? passed me recently when i was out walking at night nearly deafened me! Very impressive lighting setup the only other garda vehicle i've seen with as much light is the RSU volvo.

Not complaining like, if a louder siren helps vehicles get to a scene more quickly then bring it on!

The older units had volume control, with 3 settings, "Night","City","country" and a fourth setting which switched on the Public address.
    I'm sure others will correct me, but i believe the new units are simple on/off buttons?

foinse wrote: »
    still in the usual manner, which I can't understand as the tender was specifically for a police special.

No Toyota are suppling fully fitted/kitted Police specials......however livery is put on by a company who used to fit out the cars.

NGA wrote: »
    No Toyota are suppling fully fitted/kitted Police specials......however livery is put on by a company who used to fit out the cars.

One thing that continues to strike me as really odd, and extremely dangerous (and if I were a Garda, something I'd argue about over and over) is the lack of a cage/barrier to separate the back and front seats of the patrol cars.

I may have said it on here before (more than likely), but this should have been mandatory in the new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

One thing that continues to strike me as really odd, and extremely dangerous (and if I were a Garda, something I'd argue about over and over) is the lack of a cage/barrier to separate the back and front seats of the patrol cars.

I may have said it on here before (more than likely), but this should have been mandatory in the new cars.

Hahah, you should see the Van where I was based. Seat Belts didn't work in the back, so when on a shout it was like busch gardens all over again, and if you had confiscated cans bottles/ bikes etc, it was like funderland.

• Advertisement

NGA wrote: »

Have a look at the link i put up on the first page of this thread, They're standard Toyota's in white retrofitted as usual. There's pics of them doing the conversion, and before and after shots. The first pic in the link I posted has a pic of them fitting the siren and light equipment, the second is of the "virgin" cars with no emergency equipment fitted and the subsequent pics are of the fully outfitted models.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70587337&postcount=3

Advertisement