Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books about history of Ireland

Options
  • 04-02-2011 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Need help! I'm looking for good academic books about Irish History from ancient times. Ideally, university textbook. May be somebody advice me some serious scientists in this sphere. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

There have been a few threads on this over the last while, so looking back over the last few pages may help.

If you're looking for a wide-ranging book, something like the New History of Ireland (there's 9 volumes) is a good introduction. Tom Bartlett also has a new book out on the history of Ireland (can't remember the exact title off the top of my head) which would be worth looking at, too. There are also a few books on fifteenth to nineteenth-century Ireland written by good historians such as Gillespie and McBride.

If you're in Dublin, Hodges and Figgis have a good Irish history section on the ground floor of the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

There isn't a university textbook, history in university is taught very differently from secondary school. The New History of Ireland series is probably for you, though it is truly vast in scope. A more modest challenge would probably be Bartlett's new book, or for more modern times you could try either F.S.L. Lyons, Ireland Since the Famine or J.C. Beckett, The Making of Modern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lenorrre

Denerick wrote: »
    There isn't a university textbook, history in university is taught very differently from secondary school. The New History of Ireland series is probably for you, though it is truly vast in scope. A more modest challenge would probably be Bartlett's new book, or for more modern times you could try either F.S.L. Lyons, Ireland Since the Famine or J.C. Beckett, The Making of Modern Ireland.

Thanks! I guessed about history in university, but English isn't my native language and I could name university textbooks wrong, i'm sorry for this)
    convert wrote: »
    There have been a few threads on this over the last while, so looking back over the last few pages may help.

If you're looking for a wide-ranging book, something like the New History of Ireland (there's 9 volumes) is a good introduction. Tom Bartlett also has a new book out on the history of Ireland (can't remember the exact title off the top of my head) which would be worth looking at, too. There are also a few books on fifteenth to nineteenth-century Ireland written by good historians such as Gillespie and McBride.

If you're in Dublin, Hodges and Figgis have a good Irish history section on the ground floor of the shop.

I’m afraid, 9 volumes are too much for me) I'm actually not looking for a wide-ranging book, I would rather prefer something with emphasis on history of culture, describing everyday life. And thanks, I’ll search for Bartlett!
    And, unfortunately, I’m far, far away from Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

It depends what period of Irish History you want to look into, although there's a lot of really good books about the 19th Century. There's a series of books on Early Modern and Modern Ireland called the Gill History Of Ireland which make for decent rough guides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lenorrre

ValJester wrote: »
    It depends what period of Irish History you want to look into, although there's a lot of really good books about the 19th Century. There's a series of books on Early Modern and Modern Ireland called the Gill History Of Ireland which make for decent rough guides.

First of all, I want to find something about early history of Ireland, ancient history. Maybe even some folklore or its semantics. I think, i should create additional thread about folklore)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

There was a good TV programme on last night about the 'History of Ireland', part one of a series . . .

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1091139

Gives a different perspective, from the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

LordSutch wrote: »
    There was a good TV programme on last night about the 'History of Ireland', part one of a series . . .

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1091139

Gives a different perspective, from the norm.
    Watched the first ten miniutes or so until the guy presenting it brought on his old school teacher and he starts coming up with this illogical tripe about Carson been a good Irish patriot :rolleyes: It's like saying Vidkun Quisling was a Norwegian patriot during German occupation of Norway. Only the Gombeen republic :rolleyes:

Live & let live Mr Nazi, I did say that it was a 'different perspective' from the norm' > meaning, that our history is looked at from outside the traditional narrow Irish=Gaelic=Catholic perspective that many Irish people still have today, hence your shock at the Carson piece.

Not sure if it has been published in book form yet?

Watched the first ten miniutes or so until the guy presenting it brought on his old school teacher and he starts coming up with this illogical tripe about Carson been a good Irish patriot :rolleyes: It's like saying Vidkun Quisling was a Norwegian patriot during German occupation of Norway. Only the Gombeen republic :rolleyes:

Good old fashioned 'Godwins Law'. Tell me, was Horace Plunkett a good Irishman or a damned Unionist? Is it possible to be both?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Live & let live Mr Nazi, I did say that it was a 'different perspective' from the norm' > meaning, that our history is looked at from outside the traditional narrow Irish=Gaelic=Catholic perspective that many Irish people still have today, hence your shock at the Carson piece.

Not sure if been published in book form yet?
    " a 'different perspective' from the norm' " Well since west Brit revisionism has become 'the norm' since the Troubles broke out by the Gombeen state which had to do a complete reversal from it's rethoric of the previous decades on bringing about Irish unity, I would have thought a 'different perspective' from the norm' would have been to challenge the rubbish from the likes of Conor Cruise O'Brien, Ruth Dudley Edwards, Eoghan Harris etc for the last 3/4 decades :rolleyes:

Ah the poor ol' Gombeen state, still trying to 'mature' as a nation :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fergal keane is the author, you might direct your annoyance at him.

" a 'different perspective' from the norm' " Well since west Brit revisionism has become 'the norm' since the Troubles broke out by the Gombeen state which had to do a complete reversal from it's rethoric of the previous decades on bringing about Irish unity, I would have thought a 'different perspective' from the norm' would have been to challenge the rubbish from the likes of Conor Cruise O'Brien, Ruth Dudley Edwards, Eoghan Harris etc for the last 3/4 decades :rolleyes:

Ah the poor ol' Gombeen state, still trying to 'mature' as a nation :rolleyes:

I despair. I really despair.

I despair. I really despair.
    Denerick's usual insightful input :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Artur.PL

similar question. I'm looking for a book about Irish history in XX century. I've read "Ireland Today" by Gemma Hussley and I found it pretty interesting ie. chapters like : The Irish economy:National finances, Religion, Education, Women and life in Ireland.Or "The best is yet to come " by Marc Coleman
    Any suggestions please?

Denerick's usual insightful input :rolleyes:

I already put a question to you. You insisted on indulging on a quasi racist rant, complete with all the trademark smileys.

I already put a question to you. You insisted on indulging on a quasi racist rant, complete with all the trademark smileys.
    My time is too valuable to be bothered discussing some obscure unionist.

My time is too valuable to be bothered discussing some obscure unionist.

Plunkett is obscure? Interesting POV. The question wasn't really about Plunkett, it was about your association of Unionists and Unionism with raw evil.

Plunkett is obscure? Interesting POV. The question wasn't really about Plunkett, it was about your association of Unionists and Unionism with raw evil.
    "Raw evil" :eek:. I thought I was a moderate towards them.

"Raw evil" :eek:. I thought I was a moderate towards them.

Quit the smileys mate. They just look stupid.

Quit the smileys mate. They just look stupid.
    :);)

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement