Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Star puzzle! Anyone solve it ?

• 09-02-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

€20. The €10 the bike cost and the €10 he gave the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

€20. The €10 the bike cost and the €10 he gave the guy.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mydearwatson

This post has been deleted.

I would've said €30. The €20 that the dealer lost in potential income (i.e. he could have sold it to another customer for that amount), plus the €10 that he gave to the customer.

What was the correct answer, anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

It's €40! He lost the €30 he had to give to the shopkeeper, and also the €10 he paid for the bike. So he's down €40 altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's €20. The 10 he gave the thief, the 10 he paid for the bike. We can ignore the 30 he gave the shopkeeper because he got it there in the first place

• Advertisement

But the €10 he gave to the buyer, he had received from the shopkeeper. So he got €10 from the keeper, then gave it away, so it cancels out. So it's still €40.

ETA: Nevermind, I was totally wrong, it is €20. I forgot that the shopkeeper actually gave him €30 for the cheque, from which he gave the buyer €10. So he has €20 left, and he has to repay the shopkeeper €30, so he is down €10. Plus the €10 he initially spent on the bike gives €20. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i would have said 30,then 40,then 50
    final answer: 50 as posted above

i would have said 30,then 40,then 50
    final answer: 50 as posted above

But how is it €50?

Let's say the trader starts off the day with €100. He pays €10 for the bike, so €100 - €10 = €90. He then recieves a cheque from the buyer, which he gives to the shopkeeper, and gets €30 in return. So €90 + €30 = €120. He gives €10 of this to the buyer, which leaves €110. Then he has to repay the seller after the cheque bounces, so €110 - €30 = €80.

So he started the day with €100, he now has €80, he has lost €20. QED

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭smallgarden

now im torn between 20 and 30
    30 to include opportunity cost as someone mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭randombar

aceygray wrote: »
    But how is it €50?

Let's say the trader starts off the day with €100. He pays €10 for the bike, so €100 - €10 = €90. He then recieves a cheque from the buyer, which he gives to the shopkeeper, and gets €30 in return. So €90 + €30 = €120. He gives €10 of this to the buyer, which leaves €110. Then he has to repay the seller after the cheque bounces, so €110 - €30 = €80.

So he started the day with €100, he now has €80, he has lost €20. QED

He didn't actually receive 30, there's no + €30 as it's a cheque. He received nothing.

He basically gave the guy a tenner, had to give the shop 30 and lost a bike worth 10 so he paid out 50.

• Advertisement

He recieved €30 from the shopkeeper, in exchange for the cheque, which he then had to pay back, after giving €10 to the buyer.

So it's a €20 loss in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭randombar

My bad, ya the shop gave him 30, which he had to give back, he gave yer man 10 and the bike was worth 10.

Advertisement