Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you miss in Waterford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Junior wrote: »
    Doing the shopping in Darrers with the parents.

It's mad...I know the exact lay out of that place, as well as Wellworths (or was it woolworths) (where the brasserie is now) and I'm sure I was only a kid when they closed (im 30 now) (that's a lot of brackets in fairness)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

niallo76 wrote: »
    Fitzmaurices

Nah, never liked that place. there was an annoying security guy who would be at you the whole time if you were having a look through the comics or magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

ziedth wrote: »
    Burgerland is a great one.

I really miss Temple Bar, in there after a few in bad bobs on a Monday was quality. I have never found a pub I liked as much.

Fond memory of distance darts in there:-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

if they'd stayed open we would have had it in the olympics by now. We should really find another place and give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

New York Pie co.

Man i would kill for a pepper steak pie outta there!!

also.. the golden rod Chinese on John st. (anyone remember the mad delivery driver with the Honda CRX? your food would be out to ya 5 mins after ordering haha)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Partizan wrote: »
    Let me add to that:

1. Hoffmans
    2. Club LA
    3. The Roxy
    4. Harneys Blaas
    5. ABC Radio for some 80s nostalgia.
    6. Muldoons in its heyday

You are right there Joey, Waterford in the 90s was a hopping place.

Agree 100%. Waterford in the 90s was better than Celtic Tiger era Waterford. Looking back I enjoyed every minute of it. They were great times.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

My god I can still taste a mega garlic creamy chicken roll from pie co. I loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Somebody mentioned Muldoons, it was a good spot back in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Agree 100%. Waterford in the 90s was better than Celtic Tiger era Waterford. Looking back I enjoyed every minute of it. They were great times.

Erm, maybe you are getting older?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

STIG83 wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned Muldoons, it was a good spot back in the day
    I used to like it. Twas a grand laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Queueing up the hill with dad to get into the old cinema for a big new release. Usually by Disney.
    • Going into town with mam on saturdays for a comic from Porters and meeting nan and her friends in the pub that used to be next to Penneys (Regan's I want to say? Someone confirm?)
    • The darkness that came over the car when you went to park in City Square. Haven't gona near that car park since I was 11.
    • FUNDERWORLD
    • Having fields to run around in
    • Staying out til late playing without your mam worrying you were gonna be kidnapped, stabbed or set on fire while high on drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Thrill on the hill :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

• Staying out til late playing without your mam .

Your having a laugh right ? :D

• Queueing up the hill with dad to get into the old cinema for a big new release. Usually by Disney.
    • Going into town with mam on saturdays for a comic from Porters and meeting nan and her friends in the pub that used to be next to Penneys (Regan's I want to say? Someone confirm?)
    • The darkness that came over the car when you went to park in City Square. Haven't gona near that car park since I was 11.
    • FUNDERWORLD
    • Having fields to run around in
    • Staying out til late playing without your mam worrying you were gonna be kidnapped, stabbed or set on fire while high on drugs.
    What was Funderworld? I remember most of the other things, but not that.

dayshah wrote: »
    What was Funderworld? I remember most of the other things, but not that.
    Funderworld was what came before Kidzone.
    It was where PC World is now. Had a bowling alley, arcade machines (including TMNT and The Simpsons), party area for your birthday and a MASSIVE play area like the one they have in Kidzone. Primary feature being the massive slide that would give your arms burns that would last days and it was staffed by poor students who couldnt give a ****.

BEST.PLACE.EVER.

Funfair wrote: »
    Your having a laugh right ? :D
    No.
    That's why I said:
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It was where PC World is now. Had a bowling alley, arcade machines (including TMNT and The Simpsons), party area for your birthday and a MASSIVE play area like the one they have in Kidzone. Primary feature being the massive slide that would give your arms burns that would last days and it was staffed by poor students who couldnt give a ****.

BEST.PLACE.EVER.
    There was another place like that open around the same time for a little while.
    I remember the entire back of it was a giant bouncy castle. Cant remember its name though :(

BEST.PLACE.EVER.

I remember the bowling alley. I barely remember some sort of slide with a verticle drop and similar things. A bit like the obstacle course from full metal jacket but with more padding, brighter colours, and no drill sergeant calling you a malformed piece of amphibian sh!t.

Did they then take out the slides and so on and then leave it as just a bowling alley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

dayshah wrote: »
    I remember the bowling alley. I barely remember some sort of slide with a verticle drop and similar things. A bit like the obstacle course from full metal jacket but with more padding, brighter colours, and no drill sergeant calling you a malformed piece of amphibian sh!t.

Did they then take out the slides and so on and then leave it as just a bowling alley?

The bowling alley was on one side and the slides and stuff on the other,they closed one part first then the next,cant remember which ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Apoligies Mitch, I misread the post I thought you said "playing with your Mam" :D

Anyone the number for specsavers handy ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

BEST.PLACE.EVER.
    meself the twin and our mate took out all our mates savings stamps money from docks post office and went off to funderland for the day. Our parents called the guards and everything cos we left at about 8 in the morning and didn't come home till the place closed. Great day out

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

There was another place like that open around the same time for a little while.
    I remember the entire back of it was a giant bouncy castle. Cant remember its name though :(

Think you're thinking of Playworld.It was on the Tramore Road,kinda across from where Ivory's Hotel was;I think there's a Sam Hire there now.

It was smaller but when you had a party there the birthday person would get a bright yellow t-shirt with 'Playworld' printed on it!

Tiddlers wrote: »
    Think you're thinking of Playworld.It was on the Tramore Road,kinda across from where Ivory's Hotel was;I think there's a Sam Hire there now.

It was smaller but when you had a party there the birthday person would get a bright yellow t-shirt with 'Playworld' printed on it!
    Thats it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

kfallon wrote: »
    Cans of pineapple smak sold in the shops!

people actually think I'm takin the p**s when I ask if they remember Smack!! :D
    was also available in Cola & Lemonade

The Beefy King

Fitzmaurice's in town (where boots is now)

Kervicks (where Dignity is now)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Getting a chase off Nancy and her sisters out of the Park stores
    :D

what was it called, an Siopa Beag? the stuff they had to put up with ( but were oblivious to) was unreal :D

anyone remember Kitty Gores on Wilkins Street? Selling single fags, a match & a bit of sand paper to light it off to the teenagers in De La Salle....jaysus the 80s were great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone remember the corner shop at the top of Water Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I miss The Roxy, Skippers, Flowmotion and The Old Rogue. Like other posters, I miss the 90's. Great music and social scene.

Great thread, I have to agree with the above. Add Leahy's cream sponge, The Pulpit/Preachers and Breens to that list. Skippers was bloody great, great for a feed for the stagger home. What was the name of the pub alongside Muldoons? Had my first proper pint in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Peigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Laserworld in Tramore, used to love it there as a kid

• Advertisement

STIG83 wrote: »
    Laserworld in Tramore, used to love it there as a kid
    AND CELTWORLD!!

Advertisement