Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAS Operating in Ireland (Republic of)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

harryd2 wrote: »
    crazy hyped time... mutsa been nuts..
    I never understood how those soldiers were discovered..
    I mean if yer a British soldier in such a place/scene, you try to keep as low a profile as possible (or not be there in the first place)
    They musta been intelligence gathering and were razzled by accident by some passer by..

They drove into the funeral procession accidentally on the way home from duty. Considering the circumstances of the funeral (one of the people killed in the Milltown cemetery attacks) the mourners thought it was another loyalist attack. They began to attack the car and the soldiers produced guns to deter them, in effect proving to the people they were Loyalists. They were taken away and shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

RMD wrote: »
    They drove into the funeral procession accidentally on the way home from duty. Considering the circumstances of the funeral (one of the people killed in the Milltown cemetery attacks) the mourners thought it was another loyalist attack. They began to attack the car and the soldiers produced guns to deter them, in effect proving to the people they were Loyalists. They were taken away and shot.

23lcl7q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Locust wrote: »
    For example - If your a known terrorist - al-Qa'ida/IRA whatever. And you're near your acting suspcious - have no business being where you are and you turn towards me and put your hand in your pocket - i'd blow your head clean off your shoulders... 100 times over.

Cold blood? And uh, admitted to being 'active' ira (hot blooded hatred right there) and having a bomb etc - semtex, scoping out the area with the intention to rip fathers mothers and brothers apart isn't a threatening move?

With attitudes like this - I'm delighted things ended the way they did at Gibraltar.

Whats that @Funfair? After witnesses were intimidated by british newspapers? Jeez. Nothing like the 'boys' from Armagh knockin on yer door huh?
    Yawn...

huh ? Your only looking for a row... I'm not that stupid to take the bait.. go back to bed

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    23lcl7q.jpg

What has that picture got anything to do with what I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

This thread is degenerating into a cat fight with uninformed, bigoted and down right untrue comments being thrown around.
    Before you hit the Submit button, at least attempt to do some research and please do not post your own prejudices as if they were facts.

The events in Gibralter, Milltown Cemetary and the killing of the two corporals are well documented so go and read what happened.

This thread was about the SAS operating in the Republic and it has been proven that they did. There is a lot of mysticism around the Regiment and a lot of it was hard earned. Again it is possible to research the events involving the SAS

So boys, Hit the Google button before you Hit the Submit button

• Advertisement

RMD wrote: »
    What has that picture got anything to do with what I said?
    They are British soldiers, holding the drumcree OO flag. The point is that the BA and loyalists where viewed by many as the same, and with good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

They are British soldiers, holding the drumcree OO flag. The point is that the BA and loyalists where viewed by many as the same, and with good reason.

You are probably the only one who knew that.

Are they a Regular Regiment or UDR????

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Are they a Regular Regiment or UDR????
    I cant remember the exact details, although this being the military forum I am sure someone will know by looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Utrinque Paratus

I cant remember the exact details, although this being the military forum I am sure someone will know by looking.

They are UDR soldiers.

• Advertisement

They are UDR soldiers.
    Really? Just for future reference how can you tell? And what year would you say that was judging by their gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

They are UDR soldiers.

They WERE UDR soldiers.

UDR is long disbanded, mostly due to its involvement with loyalist subversives.

They WERE UDR soldiers.

Wolfe Tone,
    Your picture has no relevance as the UDR recruited entirely from Northern Ireland.

The British Army were welcomed onto the streets of NI by Roman Catholics initially. When it was realised that they would act impartially in carrying out their duties, both sides turned on them and they became "piggy in the middle"

Instead of random photos that prove nothing, do a bit of uselful research and contribute to the debate.

Wolfe Tone,
    Your picture has no relevance as the UDR recruited entirely from Northern Ireland.

The British Army were welcomed onto the streets of NI by Roman Catholics initially. When it was realised that they would act impartially in carrying out their duties, both sides turned on them and they became "piggy in the middle"

Instead of random photos that prove nothing, do a bit of uselful research and contribute to the debate.
    Jesus tap dancing christ. Act impartially? The BA in the north? Pull the other one, that was hoped, hence the welcome, soon it was shown otherwise and that the BA acted on orders of the sectarian state.

They WERE UDR soldiers.

Not true, the UDR disbanded due to the change in the security climate. 1 battalion was amalgamated into the RIR.

They are UDR soldiers in the photo, is that better.:rolleyes:

Really? Just for future reference how can you tell? And what year would you say that was judging by their gear?

Their berets and cap badge, late 80s/early 90s.

Thanks, no need to be condescending.

Jesus tap dancing christ. Act impartially? The BA in the north? Pull the other one, that was hoped, hence the welcome, soon it was shown otherwise and that the BA acted on orders of the sectarian state.

Yet again you have got it wrong.

Soldiers were welcomed into the Falls Road and into other Natioalist areas with cups of tea and cakes. When the nationalists realised that the soldiers would enforce the law impartially, they turned on them. Nationalists expected,wrongly, that the Army would do for them what the RUC/B Specials were doing for the Loyalists. The Soldiers on the ground did their best enforce the law but were not allowed to do so by all the other competing interests.

Please take the time to check out what happened instead of what you think happened.
    You do diservice to your Boards name by not properly checking your facts.

To return briefly to the unfortunate Corporals who were murdered at the funeral on the Falls, they did not shoot any civilians even though they were well aware of what would happen to them.
    The PIRA administered their own brand of retribution that day against 2 helpless men,who make very sure that innocent people did not die because of a mistake they made.

Soldiers were welcomed into the Falls Road and into other Natioalist areas with cups of tea and cakes. When the nationalists realised that the soldiers would enforce the law impartially, they turned on them. Nationalists expected,wrongly, that the Army would do for them what the RUC/B Specials were doing for the Loyalists. The Soldiers on the ground did their best enforce the law but were not allowed to do so by all the other competing interests.

Please take the time to check out what happened instead of what you think happened.

To return briefly to the unfortunate Corporals who were murdered at the funeral on the Falls, they did not shoot any civilians even though they were well aware of what would happen to them.
    The PIRA administered their own brand of retribution that day against 2 helpless men,who make very sure that innocent people did not die because of a mistake they made.
    No, when nationalists observed that they did not act impartially they turned on them, it is you who have your facts wrong.

Do you have this information first hand or are you repeating the propoganda of one the factions involved?

Mine is first hand experience but in general the people of NI were decent folk but unfortunetly a small vocal minority led the way.

Sadly prejudice and bigotry still exists in pockets but thankfully the sensible silent majority now lead the way and the bigots are fast disappearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

I thought Bloody Sunday is what really turned people against HM Armed Forces

mbiking123 wrote: »

It certainly helped and was the best recruiting event for the IRA. There were numerous events that all helped, no one event greater than any other.
    There were many occasions when the Troubles could have ended but the usual vested interests on one side or other did not want it to end.

A very sad chapter in the history of this Island.

They were fully turned against them in essence once the Falls Road Curfew and Ballymurphy Massacre took place. Bloody Sunday was the final nail in the coffin, any chance they had of saving face in NI at this point was gone. It was the PIRA's greatest propaganda victory for recruitment during the Troubles.

I'm not trying to use you as an example, but I find it amazing that most people always use Bloody Sunday as a reference point yet never mention the Ballymurphy Massacre, in a large amount of cases many people haven't even heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

I'm not trying to use you as an example, but I find it amazing that most people always use Bloody Sunday as a reference point yet never mention the Ballymurphy Massacre, in a large amount of cases many people haven't even heard of it.

I can appreciate your point of view, but this event caused the British Embassy in Dublin to be burnt down. I heard that there was so many people out that night that the streets were packed and it was impossible to get anywhere near the Embassy. Possibly because the whole event (Bloody Sunday)was caught on camera was why it got so much attention ?

There are many accounts of Catholics making complaints of being beaten up by RUC officers during the troubles because they attended marches or demonstrations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I can appreciate your point of view, but this event caused the British Embassy in Dublin to be burnt down. I heard that there was so many people out that night that the streets were packed and it was impossible to get anywhere near the Embassy. Possibly because the whole event (Bloody Sunday)was caught on camera was why it got so much attention ?

There are many accounts of Catholics making complaints of being beaten up by RUC officers during the troubles because they attended marches or demonstrations

And I thought my username was unique ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

As big a load of bollox as I've seen for a while on b.ie :rolleyes: The Brits were initiallying welcomed into the nationalist areas in the expectantion that they would " would enforce the law impartially". When the nationalists experienced that the soldiers wouldn't enforce the law impartially - they truned on them. Anyone knowing the record of the Brits in Ireland, India etc would know it was once again the Brits running true to form and getting stuck in to the natives, nothing like giving Johnny Foreigner a bit of a kicking and British pluck to put him in his place etc
    They didn't shoot any people because they were disarmed due to the extreme bravery of the civilians before they got a chance to ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Do you have this information first hand or are you repeating the propoganda of one the factions involved?

Mine is first hand experience but in general the people of NI were decent folk but unfortunetly a small vocal minority led the way.

Sadly prejudice and bigotry still exists in pockets but thankfully the sensible silent majority now lead the way and the bigots are fast disappearing.
    :D Helping little old ladies across the road in front of gunfire and dressing up as Santa handing out toys to the kiddies on the Falls Road and Bogside were you ? :D

:D Helping little old ladies across the road in front of gunfire and dressing up as Santa handing out toys to the kiddies on the Falls Road and Bogside were you ? :D

How perseptive of you to finally get something right with one of your posts.

They didn't shoot any people because they were disarmed due to the extreme bravery of the civilians before they got a chance to ;)

I did not realise you were there and witnessed what happened first hand or maybe you are just spouting more propaganda and drivel as per usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I did not realise you were there and witnessed what happened first hand or maybe you are just spouting more propaganda and drivel as per usual

You can clearly see in the Video the guns being taken off the Corporal's at the window of the car..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement