Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[b]REPOSTING OUT OF SHEER DESPERATION...any answers appreciated ;)

Options
  • 07-02-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey

Im planning to do a Job Preperation course in the Connacht college of Hairdressing in Galway and i dont really understand what it is,I assumed when i enrolled that you do 5 months in the college then 2 months working in a salon and then you get your qualification.
    It turns out that you have to go back and do another few months before you get a City and Guild qualification.
    The thing is the 5 month course is almost 3 grand and you have ta buy your own equipment aswell,my mother is paying for this as im only 17 and not working but it really is a stretch and we are just about able to afford it and to go back to get the cuty and guilds qualification its almost another 3 grand on top of that?
    Im just wondering is there a point in me paying 3 grand to come out with no qualifications?it says on the website that you are qualified for entry level in to a salon but isnt this just the same as what you would do if you just walked of the street and got a job in a salon?Will any hairdresser actually hire me after this course as i wont sem to have any actual qualifications?
    Also what is a city and guild qualification and is it actually recognised in the world of hairdressing?
    Sorry for all the questions im just very very confused!

also sorry for the re posting im jsut trying to get answrs urgently before i actually pay the deposit on the course!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss Congeniality

Hi Emma Marie

In my humble opinion, €3000 is an awful amount to pay for a course like that. Have you done any work experience in a salon - are you sure that you want to be a hairdresser - I ask as my sister did a 2yr course in LCFE (Details below) and qualified and then decided she didnt want to be a hairdresser.

On the offchance that you do still want to be a hairdresser, I have some details below:

In limerick (nearest town to me), Bellissimo do a 1yr trainee course - check their website: http://www.bellissimo.ie/academy-limerick
    I dont know how much it is though!!

Are there any colleges of further education near you?? As I previously mentioned:
    Limerick College of Further Education do a 2yr full-time course which has no fees as its NDP funded. (link attached)
    http://www.lcfe.ie/DAY-COURSES/School-of-Hairdressing-and-Beauty/Hairdressing-Department/Hairdressing-Diploma-with-Cosmetic-Studies.aspx

FAS also do hairdressing appreticeship full-time courses. You could check with your local fas office or the website: www.fas.ie

I hope some of the above helps!!! and Best of Luck with your career!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

EmmaMarie, there is no need to repost a thread, especially when the first one is on the same page. Other thread deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

TBH I've heard that the CHC qualifications are not well respected in the locality, as other hairdressers see them as "buying your way" into the area, and I have heard directly from Galweigan hairdressers that the graduates from those places do not have the experience that salon-trained graduates have.

Can I suggest that you walk into some salons in Galway city and county and ask them about how they train,where they get their graduates? Just go in and tell them you are doing research and ask to speak with the salon manager. You are better spending money on something that is respected than wasting it because it calls itself a college.

To be clear I'm not in the industry at all, I'm just repeating what I've heard many many qualified hairdressers say in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EmmaMarie_X

Hi Emma Marie

In my humble opinion, €3000 is an awful amount to pay for a course like that. Have you done any work experience in a salon - are you sure that you want to be a hairdresser - I ask as my sister did a 2yr course in LCFE (Details below) and qualified and then decided she didnt want to be a hairdresser.

On the offchance that you do still want to be a hairdresser, I have some details below:

In limerick (nearest town to me), Bellissimo do a 1yr trainee course - check their website: http://www.bellissimo.ie/academy-limerick
    I dont know how much it is though!!

Are there any colleges of further education near you?? As I previously mentioned:
    Limerick College of Further Education do a 2yr full-time course which has no fees as its NDP funded. (link attached)
    http://www.lcfe.ie/DAY-COURSES/School-of-Hairdressing-and-Beauty/Hairdressing-Department/Hairdressing-Diploma-with-Cosmetic-Studies.aspx

FAS also do hairdressing appreticeship full-time courses. You could check with your local fas office or the website: www.fas.ie

I hope some of the above helps!!! and Best of Luck with your career!!

I definitely want to be a hairdresser and when i finished school i applied for lots of hairdressing courses but dint have the "experience" for any of them,I wasnt going to do one of them courses but then i found out the college of further education is raising its prices to 3 grand next year anyway.I think i might just go with it and see where it goes.Thanks for your help :)

Eviledna wrote: »
    TBH I've heard that the CHC qualifications are not well respected in the locality, as other hairdressers see them as "buying your way" into the area, and I have heard directly from Galweigan hairdressers that the graduates from those places do not have the experience that salon-trained graduates have.

Can I suggest that you walk into some salons in Galway city and county and ask them about how they train,where they get their graduates? Just go in and tell them you are doing research and ask to speak with the salon manager. You are better spending money on something that is respected than wasting it because it calls itself a college.

To be clear I'm not in the industry at all, I'm just repeating what I've heard many many qualified hairdressers say in the area.

I know what you mean but these days i cant find a job so im really desperate to just get in to some sort of course,I was thinking of maybe trying to get a Saturday job with hope they'll take me on once im finished the course?i feel that maybe having the course behind me would work in my favour incase im working with a salon for a few months and they decide to drop me?I have applied for at least 20 hairdressers in the past 6 months looking for an apprentiship and in this climate there just not willing to give them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Have you considered offering to work for free if they will train you for a certain period of time? You could use some of your loan to live and get trained?
    Don't forget the county too, there must be more than 20 hairdressers in Galway countywithin bus-able distance!

Chin up hun, perseverance is the key, you'll get there in the end. And go into FAS in Nun's island. Tell them you are unemployed and need their help. Don't just apply online. People are much more likely to respond to a smiling face in front of them than to an email or call.

Eviledna wrote: »
    Have you considered offering to work for free if they will train you for a certain period of time? You could use some of your loan to live and get trained?
    Don't forget the county too, there must be more than 20 hairdressers in Galway countywithin bus-able distance!

Chin up hun, perseverance is the key, you'll get there in the end. And go into FAS in Nun's island. Tell them you are unemployed and need their help. Don't just apply online. People are much more likely to respond to a smiling face in front of them than to an email or call.

I'm only 17 so i have no loan and no other form of income,hence the reason im tryin to get a course done so i can get a job asap.
    Fas have actually dont nothin for me,ive lost count of how many times ive been down there and ive basically been told to come back once im on the dole and then ill have a chance of getting a course.Ive applied for at least 3 hairdressing courses and have herd nothing back from any of them which im not surprised at as the woman told me they give preference to people on social welfare.Thats the thing im trying to avoid and the thoughts of having to sign on the minute im 18 is horrible :(.The only other iption is i go to college next year but seeing as hairdressing is what i really love i dont see myself sticking at a course i dont have much interest in for 3 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I definitely want to be a hairdresser and when i finished school i applied for lots of hairdressing courses but dint have the "experience" for any of them,I wasnt going to do one of them courses but then i found out the college of further education is raising its prices to 3 grand next year anyway.I think i might just go with it and see where it goes.Thanks for your help :)
    Are you sure about this? I thought it was 200 euro?

phasers wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I thought it was 200 euro?

Course prices vary,Hairdressing last year which one of my friends have done was 1000 uo front then a further 275 then they had to buy there own equipment and uniform which cam to about 600.
    Then the college told some girl i know who go there that there going raising the prices again :(

Advertisement