Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours complaining about our dogs, help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dmg11234

cosmic wrote: »
    Whatever about your dogs barking, that kind of behaviour is harassment. I'd waste no time in reporting them to their landlord.

Do you think? It creeped me out more than anything. I can get their landlords number from the previous tenants (they still live in town, they own a chipper down the road I still see them all the time) I am sure they would still have the number. I might just keep it and use it if it gets worse. I dont want to feel threatened in my own home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

dmg11234 wrote: »
    Do you think?

Most definitely!

I've never owned a house since I moved out of my family home, I've always rented. And from my experience, as a tenant, my landlords have always been so eager to ensure that the neighbours have been happy with me living there. I've encountered this in every house I've rented in.

If the landlord finds out that they have been harassing the neighbours, they, most likely, won't be at all happy. It would be worth mentioning the noise that they make too.

Good luck :)

cosmic wrote: »
    Most definitely!

Good luck :)

Thanks, they cant say we are not doing all we can, hopefully these collars will work. I have left them both in the house now because I am afraid he will thrown something over the fence to poison them or something. Sounds extreme, but I wouldnt put it past him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

dmg11234 wrote: »
    I have left them both in the house now because I am afraid he will thrown something over the fence to poison them or something. Sounds extreme, but I wouldnt put it past him

That's wise. People can be so cruel. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think you're right to keep them in OP, much much safer.

I would still recommend recording the days barking so if they do escalate their complaint, you have proof of how often the dogs bark.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I think you're right to keep them in OP, much much safer.

I would still recommend recording the days barking so if they do escalate their complaint, you have proof of how often the dogs bark.

I will thanks. I have an old camcorder that I need to root out, and also need to find somewhere that sells the cassette type blank tapes for them, I will set it to record for as long as it will. I also want to see how effective the bark collars are and see the look on my dogs faces when the spray goes off lol

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Hi dmg,

Can you please let me know how you get on with the collar. I did borrow a water collar from a friend for a few days for my dog, but she was just mildly amused by it. Would the citronella be better??

Someone mentioned finding out why your dog barks.....mine goes crazy when a bird perches in a particular place on the roof - anywhere else, not so bad....maybe a woof or 2. But if the bird perches on the corner of the roof, she goes crazy - I could have a roast chicken in front of her & she would ignore it (normally lasts a couple of mins until the bird has had it's fun & flies off).

I have had a neighbour complain, so she has slept inside for the last year & stays in while I'm at work (for about 5 hours). She is walked before & after work (try to get the kids to bring her out for some small walks also).

She did bark the other morning (1st night out in a year due to a dodgy tummy). Hands up....but the person siad (to OH) that this happens every morning & they are sick of it, but the dog is always in, bar this one morning. After she came in, we could hear about 3 or 4 other dogs barking....one of them constantly.

I don't think it would be considered persistant barking....bouts of about 1-3 mins maybe 4 or 5 times a day.....would people consisder that too much?
    - what is consisdered (officially) persistant barking? (none of my other neighbours have an issue-I've asked)
    - Are there times it is OK for a dog to bark (not constantly obviously)
    - anyone any suggestions...I've tried training her "quiet", but when she is in the zone, nothing seems to work
    - any ideas on how to keep the birds away from the gutters?
    - I have tried in the past, putting a muzzle on her when I left her out for toilet in the morning, should I do this everytime she goes out, or is it cruel? She always looks so sad when it is on.
    - I think they are being unreasonable (and rather aggressive on the few occassions they have called). I'm tempted to tell them to go to the authorities as I don't think it is excessive barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I got complaints from one of my neighbours about my dogs barking 'all day and all night'. I couldn't argue that they barked at night (at roaming cats), but I couldn't believe they barked all day or my immediate neighbours would have let me know (one works nights) so I set up a camera. Out of over 50 hours of footage they barked for a total of 10 minutes.

I would definitely recommend setting up a camera. That way you know if you're dogs are behaving badly and you have a record if, possibly, some neighbours are doing something to wind them up and make them bark.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Keep the dogs in for now - for their own safety. I wouldn't trust what these people may do.

Please, please contact their landlord and complain about the noise and harrasment. As a renter myself I know that I am responsible to ensure that I am not disturbing the peace of my neighbours with loud music, shouting etc. 'Barking' at you, is intimidating behaviour, especially from a man - do not tolerate this. You should not feel nervous in your own home, which you clearly work hard for.

I still agree with previous posters...find out for yourself if the dogs are barking, and then treat the problem. But fight fire with fire - contact that landlord and dont be bullied!

Hey everyone

Well after the incident where the neighbour barked at me, I wouldnt even look at him if I saw him. Then he said sorry to my hubby and said the collars are working. My hubby said he didnt appreciate the screaming and barking at us and the other guy said well we were frustrated etc so he left it at that. I got their landlords number to have on standby in case anything else happens. The dog that stays inside, his collar is still full every day when we get home (he was the one they were complaining about most) and the one outside has little left in her collar. There are 25 sprays in a collar

I dont have a good video camera, only an ancient one that uses casettes and I dont know if I can even but those anymore. but I might try borrow one and make some recordings

thanks for all the advice x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just in case - either of you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can download sound activated apps that you can leave running all day - see when and how much the dogs are barking.

Advertisement