Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's Enniscrone, not Iniscrone!

Options
  • 08-01-2003 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

The maps and guides say that the name for this County Sligo village is 'Iniscrone' or 'Inniscrone', but the locals know it as 'Enniscrone'.

See for yourself. Search on Google for 'Iniscrone' and see how many hits you get compared to the number for 'Enniscrone'.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ah yes - fond memories I have of Enniscrone. We used to go there every summer when I was between the ages of 4 and 12 and rent out those caravans by the beach (that used to be owned by Padraig Kelly - RIP).

I've oft heard people say Iniscrone, but I've never known it as anything but Enniscrone - it sounds better if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Ice cream cones from Kilcawleys, mackerel fishing at the pier, playing in the sand dunes, jumpers for goal posts - ahh yes indeed, fond memories of Enniscrone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ice cream, sand dunes, the memories, (I want ice cream!)

I have all ways knowen it as Enniscrone, I'm going to look at the road sign next time I go past :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's always been Enniscrone for me too. Many a good laugh I had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Whats an Iniscrone? Is it edible? :confused::D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DRakE
    Whats an Iniscrone? Is it edible? :confused::D

Its a village in County Sligo about 15 mins away from Ballina, Co. Mayo, I have always known it as 'Enniscrone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Are ya from there, Monument? I remember going to UCG a long time ago (early 1980's). There was a chap there, Eddie Kenneally (parents had a laundrette or something). Don't suppose you know him?

I'm from Ballina, Enniscrone is one of our two local beaches. I know a few people from Enniscrone, but I dont know Eddie Kenneally.

Anyone know Eddie Clarke - he was my French teacher in school. His family owns Clarkes Resturant / Amusement place up town.

I remember one summer a load of lads from shcool went up to say hello and found him scrubbing the jacks, so they had a rather good laugh at his expense.

Eddie Clarke was a French teacher in what school? Didn't know he was a teacher?

I bought my first bag of chips from Clarke Restaurant when I was 9. Weren't great as I put too much salt upon them. Funny how you remember these things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Ha! poochie is it?
    Teaches geography aswell.

Aye - Poochie indeed young Hack.

Didn't know he taught Geography.

The school is St Geralds in Castlebar, Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

I remember when someone in class shouted "the smell of chips in here".
    He went mental.
    He got suspended a while ago for hitting someone.
    Did you have block?

Originally posted by hacktavist

He got suspended a while ago for hitting someone.

Wow teachers get suspended for hitting someone?! They didn't in my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Wow teachers get suspended for hitting someone?! They didn't in my day.

I remember my woodwork teacher whacked me over the hand with a peice of wood for marking the wood with a setsquare from the wrong side.... I wonder would he get away with that now ?

Advertisement