Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much involved are you in the anime subculture?

Options
  • 30-01-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

I am just wondering as I tend to browse danny choo's blog and figure.fm alot and is wondering is there many people in Ireland very much involved in the anime/otaku subculture eg cosplay, collect figurines, takes photos of figurines, into dolfies, go to anime related events and cons, do manga art ect or just watch anime and read manga and that is it?

For me I watch my anime and read some manga but I also collect figures, cosplay (my main interest), go to cons, anime related events. I am beginning to get into dolfies, figurine photography and other aspects of anime culture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

I barely scratch the surface of it. I watch and read, but beyond that very little involvement. Only been to one con in my life (which was quite fun), but have never really gotten into the ancillary activities, something I have been planning to rectify for some time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'm studying photography and making a small book on a specific figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Meh.

If you strive to be otaku, you don't UNDERSTAND what it means to be otaku.

Otaku is not something you do.
    Otaku just IS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Meh.

If you strive to be otaku, you don't UNDERSTAND what it means to be otaku.

Otaku is not something you do.
    Otaku just IS.

You're such an otaku, Kiki.

As for my involvement, I actually rarely watch/read any anime/manga these days. I have started getting figures though - mainly poseable ones. I also attend any Irish con/event I can manage. I'm hoping to get an artists alley table at Nom-Con if I can get enough art done :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I watch lots of anime and manga. I own a few toy robots though I probably won't get any more. I like helping out at conventions though I can't see myself ever attending one if I wasn't helping run it.

I just don't find any other aspect of the subculture very attractive, and I've other hobbies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hmmm. I watch anime and read manga obviously and I like to own things related to my favourites - like posters and hoodies/t-shirts etc.

Not really into figurines or dolfies. I suck at art so that's automatically ruled out :P I appreciate cosplayers, particularly the good ones, but it's not something I'd do myself. Just not really interested in dressing myself up - far too self conscious for one thing :P

I like going to conventions and try to go whenever I can. I'd LOVE to go to one of the massive Japanese or American cons! That's about it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

I'd say I'm fairly deeply involved. I staff at a convention, I cosplay on a fairly regular basis, I have a few figurines and Pullips and although I don't buy as much anime and manga as I used to, I still buy quite a bit. I also go to a few conventions in the UK and any that we have here.

The social aspect of the lifestyle is what appeals to me most though, I doubt I'd be involved as much if I didn't have and make so many friends through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Missiechan wrote: »

The social aspect of the lifestyle is what appeals to me most though, I doubt I'd be involved as much if I didn't have and make so many friends through it.

Yeah that is exactly why I am very much involved in the anime/manga subculture. I have met amazing people through it and wouldn't be cosplaying like I am today. It is not just in Ireland I met lovely anime fans but also online. Of course I came across horrible people but you get them in all of the groups.:P I just feel more of a sense of belonging I guess so I want to get more involved. It is like a niche community.

It was funny after Brocon last year while waiting in the bus station going home, a friend and I were chatting about the con and a girl beside us says, "it is nice to bump into other anime fans."

Unlike many of you, I am more into the fan culture then the anime and manga but I still like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I'm deeply involved in discussion of animu, but aside from the cutest lil dango which my GF made for me, I think that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd say I'm fairly deeply involved. I staff at a convention, I cosplay on a fairly regular basis, I have a few figurines and Pullips and although I don't buy as much anime and manga as I used to, I still buy quite a bit. I also go to a few conventions in the UK and any that we have here.

>Otaku
    >Social aspect

udontunderstand2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Unlike many of you, I am more into the fan culture then the anime and manga but I still like them.

The atmosphere at conventions always makes me feel very at ease. Like I belong. Thats why I like them so much plus the people I have met have been 99 percent awesome. There are always a few bad eggs but meh :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I collect figurines and art books when they're available in Forbidden planet and Waterstones. I also used to draw Manga and submitted a Manga style piece of Art for my leaving cert' in Art.:D I really should get back to drawing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Azure_sky wrote: »
    I collect figurines and art books when they're available in Forbidden planet and Waterstones.

Did you hear the sad news? Waterstones are closing down. :(Source.

Did you hear the sad news? Waterstones are closing down. :(Source.

Someone just told me they're entering liquidation on another forum. Another nine are closing down in Britain.
    I think they will be replaced pretty soon though. It's not like there's any real alternative to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Varik

One of them is on Dawson Street, i go past that each day and in when i have time. Of stores to close it would have been the obvious choice as it's got the most competition from across the road.

Varik wrote: »
    One of them is on Dawson Street, i go past that each day and in when i have time. Of stores to close it would have been the obvious choice as it's got the most competition from across the road.

I'm pretty sure they're owned by the same people. It is kind of a disgrace that they will be no Waterstones in the capital. ( I guess that gives Cork an extra claim to the title.:pac:)

I think another bookstore will replace at least one of their outlets. Maybe Chapters or an Easons with a outlet that's dedicated to books.

One impression I've gotten from running conventions as well as something that has surprised me. A lot of people involved in the subculture don't seem to watch anime, or don't watch much anime.
    Someone just told me they're entering liquidation on another forum. Another nine are closing down in Britain.
    I think they will be replaced pretty soon though. It's not like there's any real alternative to them.
    Other than Hodges Figgis, Hughes & Hughes, Easons and independant bookstores like Chapters?

I'm disappointed to see Waterstones go, but it's not like we've no shortage of bookstores.

And if it's manga you're looking for, remember that most local bookstores will order you in anything you can give them an ISBN for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I'm not sure how far involved I would fall as compared to the average person on the street I consume a high amount of Japanese comics and animation but as a percentage of all the comics and animation I go through the Japanese material does not make up the largest part. I'm also not sure it counts as being involved in the 'subculture' when I see it more as my job as I work full time as an animator and comic book artist. I attend cons on average monthly in Europe and the States and have been a resident artist in Japan. The majority of my friends I have are via comics and cons and for the most part con exhibiting is a massive laugh though hard work as well esp the bigger ones were it can be 4 days of just none stop people and your repeating the same info about your work over and over until you think you've gone a little mad. I'm not really into cosplay but without cosplay there would be no cosplay bingo and cons would get pretty boring for exhibitors :p
    Other than Hodges Figgis, Hughes & Hughes, Easons and independant bookstores like Chapters?

Hughes & Hughes closed down not long ago as well. Waterstones situation has been coming for a while as they've been really struggling and given that they are owned by HMV who in turn are stuggling it's not a surprise they're cutting the Waterstones brand first though some HMV closures are coming as well.

Thing to understand about book buying/selling in Ireland is that Easons wholesale has a monopoly and most small stores down the country have to order via Easons wholesale. Stores like Waterstones order through their own wholesellers in the UK but that ups the cost for them esp now that sterling has taken a nose dive.

I'm disappointed to see Waterstones go, but it's not like we've no shortage of bookstores.

And if it's manga you're looking for, remember that most local bookstores will order you in anything you can give them an ISBN for.

That's fair enough for Dublin, but I seriously hope they don't get rid of the other Waterstones around the country as there's very little alternative in regards to dedicated book shops.

That's fair enough for Dublin, but I seriously hope they don't get rid of the other Waterstones around the country as there's very little alternative in regards to dedicated book shops.

Other then the one in Cork are there any other Waterstones in Ireland?

There isn't one in any of the other major cities like Waterford and your not going to find one in the small towns were there really isn't much options regarding book shops. If you live in a small town try your local book shop and ask them to order stuff in...I grew up in a small town in Tipp and got my tiny local book store to order all sorts of comic and sci fi stuff in for me and that was 12 odd years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

ztoical wrote: »

1 in Cork, 1 in Belfast and 2 in Dublin.

As to the subculture, I enjoy watching anime though not giving it as much time as I used to. I enjoy attending cons mainly to chat with folks and to see some shows I would not have come across normally.

There's one in Drogheda. I think there is, or was, one in Limerick too. Not sure.

There's one in Drogheda. I think there is, or was, one in Limerick too. Not sure.

If there was one in Limerick it's not there anymore as their website only lists the Dublin, Drougheda and Cork stores.

Hughes & Hughes closed down not long ago as well. Waterstones situation has been coming for a while as they've been really struggling and given that they are owned by HMV who in turn are stuggling it's not a surprise they're cutting the Waterstones brand first though some HMV closures are coming as well.

I mentioned Hughes & Hughes as the one near DCU reopened.

I can't speak for most towns, but in Cavan we have a dedicated bookstore who'll get anything in for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I watch and read but beyond that nada. Not a troll but I'd quite look down on the subculture beyond that, cosplay seems just a little silly (unless they're hot) and I don't really get why people try to learn to draw Manga style and not just learn to draw period.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

Why do you feel you look down on it? Enthusiasm is what makes any hobby special and cosplay is a big part of that. It's not really that much different from football fans buying all the merchandise and following their team to different countries to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm not sure if I qualify as Otaku. I go through phases of watching loads of anime series and then lapse into just following Naruto again and occasionally reading the odd manga. I used to buy Gundam models and gashapon but I had to stop as I've filled a few shelves already. There are still some Master Grade kits lying there untouched :(

Never cosplayed, attended a con/screening etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why do you feel you look down on it? Enthusiasm is what makes any hobby special and cosplay is a big part of that. It's not really that much different from football fans buying all the merchandise and following their team to different countries to support them.

It's somewhat different. I don't really see travelling to anime conventions as adding that much to the experience of watching anime. I'm into football, and I'm into a whole lot of other pastimes. Buying your club's merchandise is a way of showing support (whether or not you agree with the principles is another thing) and seeing a game in a stadium is a huge improvement to catching the highlights or streaming it online. I can't see what the social aspect of anime has to offer me really.

Anime is a subgenre in my eyes. It appeals to me because I like stories and I do like some of the worlds created. I don't see it as any form of identity though and at times when I have indulged my nerdier interests, I've found the social aspect to be incredibly underwhelming.

I have friends who enjoy these things so I'm not going to tar everyone with the same brush but most of the people at these things are incredibly dorky and often have rather poor social skills.

Kold wrote: »
    I don't really get why people try to learn to draw Manga style and not just learn to draw period.

This is a massive pet peeve of mine as I really hate all those how to draw manga books and websites out there and seeing people spend money on really good drawing materials like g-pen nibs and brush pens but not knowing how to use them correctly makes me cry a little. I don't get the obession with the whole big eye 'manga' look as if you go to a comic shop in Japan you will find work drawn in every style under the sun. I know a few people who've developed some ok looking work via these 'manga drawing formulas' but they aren't able to develop the work at all as they only know how to draw one type of face, body shape, hair and if they try to develop it into something more and it just becomes so boring and looks like all the other people who bought the same books work.

Kold wrote: »
    I have friends who enjoy these things so I'm not going to tar everyone with the same brush but most of the people at these things are incredibly dorky and often have rather poor social skills.

I disagree that people who attend cons have poor social skills. I go to alot and I certainly have no issues with my social skills. I think any interest/hobby/whatever you want to call can feel a little 'dorky' to those not involved. I find hardcore sports fans off putting or people who are really into one style/genre of music and go to, in my view from the outside, super nerdy music festivals, people into food and wine, people into film etc etc anything really that you can get very involved with can be off putting to those on the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

That's pretty much trolling...

That said, I'd compare cosplay to a fan wearing their team's full football kits, shorts, socks, boots and all to a match. I think both is weird, merely because it's excessive!

Advertisement