Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Old

• 02-02-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I knew this time would eventually come but it happened sooner than I thought, I have gotten to the stage where I find CAD work a chore!!

I left Autocad a couple of years ago for Archicad, for those of you that dont know the program its kinda like having a young brother, you dont so much work WITH it as manipulate and try fool it into doing what you want. In the end, if you are prepared to spend the time at it, you get a great end result if you put in the time and the 3D renderings have no doubt gotten me lots of work.

Anyway, I picked up a copy of Autocad 2010 and have struggled with it for a while now but the changes over the 2006 version I had have left me frustrated. It seems that for every 1 click you used to have to make you now need at least 2 and thats if you can even find the commands that your looking for in the first place.

Is there a way of reverting the interface back to the old school layout with your tools down the left and the other junk up top?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭kirving

There's a way of getting it very similar, yes. I'm on my phone at the moment but I'll get back to you when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Learn the short cuts.
    Use custom bars.

If somebody joined my place and couldn't adapt to it quickly enough (i'm only on 2010 5 months, and before that I was on microstation for 3 years) I'd have doubts about their abilities tbh.

It can be a pain to find very rare commands, but that's what the file/edit/view etc menus are for (they are off my default, turn them on)
    I rarely use the buttons, short cuts are far far easier.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 conor86

You can swith to classic cad on the bottom right of your screen when you have it open, look like a 'black cog' icon. Use it to go back and fort untell your uses of the newer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Mellor wrote: »
    Learn the short cuts.
    Use custom bars.

If somebody joined my place and couldn't adapt to it quickly enough (i'm only on 2010 5 months, and before that I was on microstation for 3 years) I'd have doubts about their abilities tbh.

It can be a pain to find very rare commands, but that's what the file/edit/view etc menus are for (they are off my default, turn them on)
    I rarely use the buttons, short cuts are far far easier.

A couple of years ago there wouldnt be a problem, I would have enjoyed the challenge of getting to know my way around and discovering all the new features and I would have put in the time, customising the menus because most of my day was spent drawing and I got paid by the week not by the client.

Since I started working on my own I'm spending most of my time talking to clients, filling out paperwork and writing reports. I dont have anyone else working for me so I have to do all myself and drawing has just become a necessary part of the job, even a chore. TBH now I only open up cad when I absolutely have to and I need it to be accessable.

conor86 wrote: »
    You can swith to classic cad on the bottom right of your screen when you have it open, look like a 'black cog' icon. Use it to go back and fort untell your uses of the newer version.

Absolutely brilliant, I know i'll have to get used to the newer layout because autodesk obviously arent going back to the old layout but I'll do that when I get rid of some of this work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Hey everybody, i'm new here so sry if i say anything but i don't know any of ye yet.

I honed my AutoCad skills in autoCad 2004 and cud do pretty much anything on it really, went working in a Manufacturing place (mostly structural) and went on to use a 3D program called Tekla which was a fairly sophisticated piece of kit, but still used autocad to do smaller drawings and custom 3D drawings...

Back in college now and everyone is mad about this AutoCad Inventor program which i think is a load of crap to be honest! give me AutoCad 2004 any day and i can draw something but these new fangdangled programs with their ribbons and such just confuse me!

The end result is really the important thing, if your final printed drawing is neat and accurate it really doesnt matter what programme produced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Slig wrote: »
    The end result is really the important thing, if your final printed drawing is neat and accurate it really doesnt matter what programme produced it.

True yea, i just found it easier to create the drawing in autocad than in inventor, seems very fussy and dosen't allow you do things i cud do in autocad i find...

but as you say if the end result is right then it dosen't really matter, i just think i'd get to the end result quicker wit autocad than inventor, prob means i should practice my drawing!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Mellor wrote: »

We'll all have to pitch in and buy you a medal.

I'd recommend learning the new layouts, they won't be keeping the old toolbars (Classic layout) for much longer. Personally I find the new layout a bit of a long winded process and as someone said I still can't find a few of the buttons I wouldn't know the shortcuts for. But for it's downfalls it has some good new bits - I really like the new plot to PDF in 2010.

actually getting the hang of the new layout, once I found the usual commands and such, The new plot to pdf is brilliant.

I actually had clients compliment it because they could turn off and on layers:confused: on the plans that I sent them. I dont see any great advantage to that but as long as they are happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Slig wrote: »
    actually getting the hang of the new layout, once I found the usual commands and such, The new plot to pdf is brilliant.

I actually had clients compliment it because they could turn off and on layers:confused: on the plans that I sent them. I dont see any great advantage to that but as long as they are happy.

For me it's great. I am in the civil/transport end of engineering and being able to put all layouts into one PDF with multiple pages is great for the client ie I can put in a road layout with safety barriers on a layer, permanent fencing on a layer, pavement types on a layer, etc. It wouldn't be a finished product PDF but for information for the client it's so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭overshoot

Daragh86 wrote: »
    I'd recommend learning the new layouts, they won't be keeping the old toolbars (Classic layout) for much longer.
    from what i hear your spot on, there is no 2011 classic layout option

Advertisement