Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in New York

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

newbie! wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone let me know of any must-buys in New York? Or must-visit shops? Im not hugely into designer stuff and like vintage or funkier type than some high street shops.

Check out St. Mark's Place (lower east side)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭addictedtoshoes

Go to page 52 of this online magazine, there is a SUPER guide to shopping in New York!! http://www.styletonic.ie/magazine.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi all, it's interesting to see how quiet this thread has gotten since the euro plunged against the dollar!

I am heading to New York in August and due to the falling euro, I won't have that much money for shopping. I would love to buy something unique like a vintage handbag or jewellry. Has anyone been to any of the flea markets? I know there are ones in Brooklyn and Hells Kitchen, any info about quality of stuff, prices etc?

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 geraldong

Try around Ludlow ST, cute shops, some vintage ones :)
    Ludlow is definitely one my fav areas in NYC! I'm not so interrested in macy's and century 21, too crowded :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I just came back today (:() from NY - its boiling over there.

I was using my CC and took out 100 dollars and the overall conversion was €73. Some ATMs (mainly Chase I think) dont charge fee.

There are some serious bargains out there.

- One of the streets down from Macys (34th and cant remember avenue) the desigual store has some serious bargains. I got a bag there for $40 while here I paid a few months ago €80.

- The 10% Macys card and bloomingdales is good - bring your passport to register at the visitor centre in the stores.

- Abercrombie store is freaking weird and although I bought clothes there I hated the experience.

- Canal street have some seriously good copies of bags. You have to look between the muck - haggle hard and walk away and go back later.

-Duane reade pharmacys have good promotions - it is specific to stores, so have a look around first (they are on like every street corner) I got some burts bees in one particular store at half price.

- Lush just down from Macys also is great value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Am heading over to NYC in November, and need to get a dress for my brother's wedding!

Just wondering would anyone have any suggestions for good dress shops? Something similar to the likes of Coast over here - just don't want to buy my dress there and would hope not to arrive in the same dress as somebody else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

The first place id go to would be the dress section in Macys. I think its on the 4th or 5th floor or the 4.5th floor :) It has sooooooooo many dresses. Loads of different styles and different prices, from cheap ones for $50 to bcbg ones for around 200-300
    After that Id have a look on 34th Street as there is forever 21 (you might see something there), banana republic, anne taylor etc. And there is always lord and taylor on 5th or bloomingdales

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

The first place id go to would be the dress section in Macys. I think its on the 4th or 5th floor or the 4.5th floor :) It has sooooooooo many dresses. Loads of different styles and different prices, from cheap ones for $50 to bcbg ones for around 200-300
    After that Id have a look on 34th Street as there is forever 21 (you might see something there), banana republic, anne taylor etc. And there is always lord and taylor on 5th or bloomingdales

I would second Macy's on 34th. They have an huge collection and the reductions are amazing!

I go to New York every year with my mum. I'll always look around at various shops but Macy's is always I end up getting the bargains in and good quality stuff. Give yourself half a day or more there though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Oooh thanks a mil girls, will deffo hit the dress dept there so (and cosmetics - who am I kidding!).

Have gone shopping in NYC loadsa times but just never needed anythign formal, so I haven't a clue really!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You can scope out things on most of the shops websites before you go. I find Macy's a bit hit and miss, I find some stuff looks a bit tacky and cheap and they lack a lot of better brands. I would think Bloomingdales is perhaps a better option. The other posters are right though, you'll probably find something on 34th Street, there are loads of options around there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MakeUp Fanatic21

I've never been there in Winter but I have been to Woodbury Common. It's brilliant but I'd recommend you allocate a day for it. And bring something like a suitcase to carry your shopping if you're planning to buy a lot. My hands were literally cut from all the bags I had, it wasn't good by the end of the day! The variety is amazing, I especially love the Calvin Klein shop there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Anyone have any suggestions for mens clothes in New York. Heading over there next week. Not really into designer stuff. looking for good quality casual stuff. Ideally in Manhattan.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for mens clothes in New York. Heading over there next week. Not really into designer stuff. looking for good quality casual stuff. Ideally in Manhattan.

A great store over there is Banana Republic and J.crew. More understated than AE or A&F but nicer(no big loads.)

I am a particular fan of J.crew. Classy.

Also, there is Hollister down in SoHo, A&F on 5th ave and south sea port. AE is on Times square and a few dotted around the place like down in SoHo.

Urban outfitters is unreal over in New York. There is a store just off Union Square and 14th.

American Apparel is good for plain clothes. That is in SoHo.

Wasn't a big fan of Macy's. Too crowded. Although they do class tailored suits for 200 dollars(Hugo Boss)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Cool. Will have to check them out. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A couple of other places for nice casuals would be Gap and Old Navy. Some of the stuff in Old Navy isn't great but some of the shirts were great quality. Gap is everywhere and Old Navy is across from Macys. I know you can get Gap in Ireland but the range in terms of variety and sizes is much better. They were doing a buy one pair of jeans get a second for $20 promotion last week so it might be still on next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Lolnouska

is there an american apparel somewhere in new york? im kinda sure they're will be, but where is it close to?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

hi :)
    I had the best shopping holiday ever in new york! I wanna go back soo bad so I'm slightly jealous haha but i recommend taking a stop in century 21 in Manhattan I got so caught up in there I never made it to see ground zero, you have to have a root but you can find some fab designer labels at a huge discount in there! enjoy!!

Lolnouska wrote: »
    is there an american apparel somewhere in new york? im kinda sure they're will be, but where is it close to?

There's a couple. One on Houston st, another on spring st. There is others around but I think they are the biggest two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Anyone know of any good vintage shops in New York? Heading over in October and will only be there for 2 days ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 billyburg

Orlee wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good vintage shops in New York? Heading over in October and will only be there for 2 days ...

i was in Williamsburg in Brooklyn for the summer where there are some really great vintage and thrift stores. since your only there for two days take the L train out to bedford avenue (its only one stop). all the vintage and thrift stores are around the bedford avenue area. the best ones are

beacons closet,
    buffalo exchange and,
    amacord.

also in the east village around first avenue/14th street theres

buffalo exchange
    no relation vintage
    metropolis

if you want the addresses on maps since your pushed for time let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm heading over to NYC next month for 4 days. I've done the tourist things before, so this is just a serious shopping trip. While I'm staying with friends, they live and work there so I'll be doing nearly everything by myself. I'm unsure about whether or not to head to one of the outlet malls as I'm thinking it would be boring by myself. Would I be better off sticking to Manhattan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 swiggy

Does anyone have any recommendations for outdoor clothing stores? I am looking to buy running/cyling gear.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tinkleivories

Ladies,

Does anyone know where to get big bras in NYC? G cup and upwards (or whatever that is in US sizing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Ladies,

Does anyone know where to get big bras in NYC? G cup and upwards (or whatever that is in US sizing!)

The big department stores tend to have a good selection, Macy's I know do up to a G cup, maybe more. Also, Lane Bryant (a big girls store!) do some really nice undies and in larger sizes. There is a Lane Bryant on W32 and 5th.
    Also, if you are going out to Jersey Gardens there is Hanes - L'eggs and they do lots of sizes and styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Faith wrote: »
    I'm heading over to NYC next month for 4 days. I've done the tourist things before, so this is just a serious shopping trip. While I'm staying with friends, they live and work there so I'll be doing nearly everything by myself. I'm unsure about whether or not to head to one of the outlet malls as I'm thinking it would be boring by myself. Would I be better off sticking to Manhattan?

Hi Faith,
    I LOVE Manhattan. I have done the outlet malls, both on my own and with friends, and have enjoyed and shopped till I dropped regardless! I recommend Jersey Gardens far more than Woodbury Common.
    In Manhattan I love Macy's, have don't Macy's in other parts of the US, but Manhattan is by far the best. Also, Century 21 is great, but be prepared to rummage and get there early, while there is still some semblance of organisation! There's a really good Philens Basement on Union Square, just over DSW - great shoe shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

hockeygirl wrote: »
    Well heading off to New York with my friend on 28th Dec 08 - 5th Jan 09

Im planning on doing some serious shopping :D

I was in NY 2 years ago but only went to Jersey Gardens and was not impressed. Will defo be heading out to woodbury common this time.

Has anyone here been to NY that time of year and what do you think about Woodbury Common. And what would be the best time to head there etc

Can anyone recommend any other good shopping spots???

Barneys in NY is the best place to go to. I've gotten my OH some nice designer shoes and handbags there for massive discounts. Louboutin and jimmy choos, chole bags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FayeRayRay

Hi

Been to NY a few times was there for Chrsitmas. If your going to Woodbury get the bus early 10am say, because its in Jersey and takes 2 hours to get there. All the stores are like little bungalows and so you will be walking a lot. i found it good theres Aeropostale, Juicy Couture, Armani Exchange, Coach, Banana Republic, LK Bennet, Betsey Johnson. Youll love it. Also wrap up warm.

If your into good fake handbags check out Canal street, China town and Soho.

Wait till early January to buy your jeans sales start then try Soho best place to buy jeans.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FayeRayRay

Theres A North Face outlet in Woodbury Common and a timberland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

Anyone in new york for black friday - HAVE FUN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cranfordmike

heading to NY shortly for a few days. I plan on heading to an outlet, either Jersey Gardens or Woodbury. I havnt decided which yet so I have a few Q's.

Which outlet offers better value?

How long does it take to get to Woodbury by bus?

Advertisement