Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in New York

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

BumbleB wrote: »
    Bring an warm jacket ,Boston is legendary for its cold winters ,it's fcking freezing in winter ,I'm not joking ,this is coming from someone who was in Russia in -20 below.Boston is a much better bet for shopping when I came off the plane i had 3 suitcases full of clothes and right across the way was 6 customs people .Walked on by however apparently they were waiting for the NY flight.

Thanks, I will, I have a lovely big long warm duffle coat I bought in Vera Moda at the end of September.. Its like a duvet!!

Cant wait now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

im off to NY on the 17th! Bring.it.on!
    seriously lookin forward to it

lemme know how u guys get on over there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

I have heard its snowing???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Got back from NYC on Monday morning. Had a great time, weather was very nice over there, very sunny. It snowed on Saturday, was very heavy but didnt stick to the ground unfortunately. I would highly recommend avoiding Macy's, we were in there on Saturday and it was a disaster, way too busy to do anything in there. From what i did see, there was nothing worth buying.

We spent a full day in Jersey Gardens on Thursday, a lot of shít out there but a lot of good deals too. I got 2 American Eagle hoodies for $40, got a ridiculous amount of clothes for the daughter for about $500 all over the mall, she's dressed for the year. One thing though, the staff behind the counters are very slow(in my opinion and from what im used to in Limerick). Im glad i waited til i got there to buy the Cons i was looking for. I got a plain black pair for $40 and a black and red pair for $45, they would have cost me €60 and €95 respectively in Foot Locker in Limerick. Its just a pity they dont sell any decent jeans over there.

Oh and definitely hit Canal St in Chinatown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Macys was absolute mahem last week. Even the people at the tills were giving out about how annoying the kids visiting santa were. I mean I don't think I have ever been exposed to such a large amount of obnoxious children at one time. But got a couple of great things there are great prices so it was worth it.

If you are looking for Uggs then a shop called David Z in Soho do them for $140.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

Hint:

Avoid Macy's. It's an overrated tourist trap.

A much better department store in the same price range is Lord and Taylor. On 5th Ave around 39th St. Much calmer, nicer merchandise which is better presented, slighty better staff than Macy's.

If you want to go more expensive, then Bloomingdales. If you want top of the line, then Saks, Bergdorf Goodman, Barneys. And don't forget Henri Bendel, which is a great place for accessories and makeup (pricey.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

in my experience the majority of staff in the shops over there are SO slow at the tills. But I have been there plenty of times now and now that I know to expect it, its not a problem anymore

Cant imagine what macys is like to make it so busy. Ive been there at black friday sales which was MENTAL but never had to wait more than 10 mins to buy something

I do like jersey gardens. Its so big that its never packed and 2 AE hoodies for $ 40 is amazing!! SO jealous!!

Canal street is hilarious!! I love all the secret rooms ;)

any advice for buyin bags in china town? my friend was there once and got some nice bags and wallets, but when i went i only got one bag and it wasnt that nice and it was dear. what price should i ask for? i was kinda scared of the secret rooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

just back on Tuesday mornng after a week ..agree about Macys .got nice Guess bags in Soho -get off subway at spring street (e line) and go to broadway downthere,dkny shop there too on west broadway ,don't ask a taxi driver on street for directions,..tried to charge $5 for that info :D also guess bags in century 21 beside WTC on e line ,bloomingdales good for 7s jeans ..Jersey gardens just ok TH shop good and good value in v necks if you wear that kind of thing and there is a guess outlet there too..just middling when we were there,very bright coloured bags,got the weekend case though for $117 though so good value for that. DKNY not as good there as here even in the DKNY shops .one in soho and the other on Madison and 60th just off 5 avenue ..all the advise here was great though Thanks and happy christmas MV

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I was in NY over the summer but thinking of heading back around Easter time with my mam :) Has anyone been to Woodbury Common and what did they think? She really wants to go there!

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    I was in NY over the summer but thinking of heading back around Easter time with my mam :) Has anyone been to Woodbury Common and what did they think? She really wants to go there!

I have been to new york about 4 or 5 times for shopping and I always make sure I save a day for Woodbury. You get a bus from Port Authority out there, takes about 40 mins or do, depending on traffic. But the journey out is lovely as you drive right into the mountains. One piece of advice, bring a wheely sports bad or suitcase with you, as you will be buying a lot and wont be able to carry it. SO handy!!!

Another piece of advice would be to go to their website http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7 print out a map of the area and the shops. They have hundreds. Mark the ones on the map that you really want to go to. The first time you go its easily to miss a lot of the shops, so its good to be prepared. Also, if you are looking for shoes and runners, shop for them first cos your feet will be quite sore!!

Its all out in the open and really really spacious. Very relaxing and the shops are all made out of white wood and they all look the same. So lovely. The bargains up there themselves are brilliant. You can get so so much for a few hundred dollars, and also, coming back, if its night time, sit on the left hand side of the bus. you will see the new york skyline which is amazing!

Carmeii wrote: »
    any advice for buyin bags in china town? my friend was there once and got some nice bags and wallets, but when i went i only got one bag and it wasnt that nice and it was dear. what price should i ask for? i was kinda scared of the secret rooms!

honestly, there is no advice for when you go down there. Anything goes!!! Its mental. The first time I went i didnt realise there were secret rooms, but honestly there isnt anything to worry about. Its just a smaller room in the back wall where they have the better looking fakes - its to make it all seem a bit more "real" like they are the proper bags!! Sure, I have ended up in the back of a van and all. The first time i did I promised never to do that again but I did :) Its all just part and parcel of china town.

They are great sales people down there. just haggle haggle haggle!

Last time I was there, I went into a "secret" room and got 2 gorgeous chanel bags. can barely tell they are fake

And to find the secret rooms, just walking in to any shop and ask if they have any chanel, our louis vuitton and they will bring you to a secret room if they do

HAVE FUN!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have been to new york about 4 or 5 times for shopping and I always make sure I save a day for Woodbury. You get a bus from Port Authority out there, takes about 40 mins or do, depending on traffic. But the journey out is lovely as you drive right into the mountains. One piece of advice, bring a wheely sports bad or suitcase with you, as you will be buying a lot and wont be able to carry it. SO handy!!!

Another piece of advice would be to go to their website http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7 print out a map of the area and the shops. They have hundreds. Mark the ones on the map that you really want to go to. The first time you go its easily to miss a lot of the shops, so its good to be prepared. Also, if you are looking for shoes and runners, shop for them first cos your feet will be quite sore!!

Its all out in the open and really really spacious. Very relaxing and the shops are all made out of white wood and they all look the same. So lovely. The bargains up there themselves are brilliant. You can get so so much for a few hundred dollars, and also, coming back, if its night time, sit on the left hand side of the bus. you will see the new york skyline which is amazing!

Thanks a million, you're a star! That's really helpful :)

you are v welcome :) its gorgeous there. really peaceful and i love it

you can easily spend at least 6 hours up there, hence the wheely bags are so useful, and a map too!! just to make sure you go to exactly where you want. easy to miss out on some of the shops

have a BALL!!! any more questions just holla!

Just back and sooooo sad, it was amazing being over there in the snow :rolleyes:
    Loved jersey gardens, we actually went twice! found it a bit cold walking round the city. It had pretty much everything we wanted! had the suitcases with us too so we could buy loads. U can easily spot the Irish over there because they are doing the same! Also went to garden state plaza mall, which was crap! the bus took nearly an hr and stopped in every neighborhood on the way! so boring. but compared to JG it got so packed so quickly and by lunch time we really wanted out!!
    In total, i'd say we queued for hours in nyc and the malls because the shop assistants are SOOO slow! ive never seen anything like it. But if ya want the stuff ya just have to q! Wouldnt recommend the ugg shop in soho, there is a q even to get in to the shop! i got uggs in a shop in jersey gardens and there was no one in the shop!! its called Robert Wayne footwear. Went to canal st. but didnt buy any bags, i had just bought a really big one in macys so didnt bother. Do not go to macys in the evening, we did and couldnt get in the door literally! so we went early next morning.
    ToysRus and Fao are cool, although be prepared for screaming children.
    Didnt bother with woodbury this time, went a few yrs ago. i really dont like the cold so thats why i preferred Jersey gardens. Get the first bus down and be there for when the shops open. we were literally the only ones there at that time! its huge so keep looking at the directorys. Hardly did any sight seeing, shopping really took over!
    must plan my next trip over, once my credit card recovers :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

I hate to sound like a boring grump, but buying counterfeit bags on Canal St. is really not a good idea. The businesses are run by gangs who are involved in human trafficking. Some of them also use the handbag business as a way to launder money which goes to fund terroism. It's a really nasty industry:
    http://www.harpersbazaar.com/magazine/feature-articles/the-fight-against-fakes-0109_

I personally can't stand Canal St. because it's just so crowded and you can't walk a block without someone whispering "Hey, Lady,Wanna buy a Guccilouisvuittonchannel?"
    The side streets off Canal are very interesting, though. If you like tea, I highly recommend Ten Ren on Mott Street, a bit south of Canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Macys was fab in the evenings it was open till eleven and half empty, a few beers helped hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

T - 3 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

I WAS IN NY 2 YEARS AGO.

MACEY'S IS GREAT!! SELL LOADS OF

GREAT CLOTHES. ENJOY!!! (I KNOW IM LATE POSTING THIS!) :P

X

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MartinaFC

Hi there - Does anyone know if there are lockers at Jersey Gardens to store your luggage? We're thinking of heading there on our way to the hotel - landing at Newark at 11 hotel checkin not till 4pm so want to make the most of our time in New York... Av ckd their website but nothing mentioned on it? Thks a mill :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 celica00wd

Hey there...we went to Jersey Gardens thinking the same ourselves as Woodbury had lockers...unfortunately Jersey doesnt. What we did and it worked out fine was put our cases in a trolley. We each got a trolley, theres plenty around just like a supermarket over here, and wheeled it around with the cases inside. Worked a treat!

Enjoy your trip...

sooo jealous!

Thanks a mill celica00wd :-):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Hi,
    Im heading to New York next week and we plan to hit Jersey Gardens for one bumper day of shopping and then the rest in Manhattan.

Can anyone let me know of any must-buys in New York? Or must-visit shops? Im not hugely into designer stuff and like vintage or funkier type than some high street shops. Also is MAC much cheaper than Dublin airport?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

MAC is much much cheaper in the US.

Check here for prices: www.maccosmetics.com

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Well heading over the week after Paddy's for the UFC in Newark but staying in Manhattan 7th Avenue Times Square Area. Shopping wise need to stock up on bits and bobs Abercrombie,Hollister,AE,the usual fella's brand's hilfiger,ralph and other sports goods. Which is best outlet Jersey Gardens for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bambi86

Thinking of going to NY at the end of the year!!!!!! Havent booked anything yet, does anyone know how to go about getting the best deal? Package hol or book everything separately?
    Just back from Vegas, i must say the shopping is amazing, although I have never been to NY....anyone been to both places? Which one is better for shopping??

Hi there - just back from NY and did Jersey Gardens this time (Woodbury the last). It's hard to say which is the best as I enjoyed both. Look them up online and see which shops you prefer.... I found Jersey Gardens great as it's all indoors and is pretty deserted during the week. When we went to Woodbury it was lashing so it was a pain getting soaked going from one shop to another especially when it was freezing too. We flew to Newark this time and Jersey gardens is about 10mins away by bus so it was perfect to fly in at noon - leave our luggage in the airport storage &get the bus over - shop till we dropped and then check into our hotel around 7 - meant we could sightsee the whole next day... As for getting the best deal - first time we booked seperately so flights €480pp hotel 3nights €500pp this time we went as a package hol so we only did 2nights in NY & a 9night trip around and it only cost €1300pp so I'd deffo shop around.. Good luck !

Bambi86 wrote: »
    Thinking of going to NY at the end of the year!!!!!! Havent booked anything yet, does anyone know how to go about getting the best deal? Package hol or book everything separately?
    Just back from Vegas, i must say the shopping is amazing, although I have never been to NY....anyone been to both places? Which one is better for shopping??

as the previous poster said, they are both completely different. Woodbury is in the mountains, very spacious and quite and picturesque. They have amazing value, but its mostly different to what you will find in manhattan. like a couple of seasons old.
    Jersey is a HUGE indoor mall and has all the shops that you will find in manhattan with the same clothes etc but the main difference is that you dont pay tax. The likes of gap and abercrombie are there and have sale items too.

If you have the chance, go to both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Anyone have any idea where I could buy reasonably priced diamond stud earrings in New York. I want them as a pressie for my aunt and hope that they might be cheaper in america like everything else.

My friends gonna pick them up for me if only I knew the best place to get them? Any ideas greatly appreciated?:)

• Advertisement

id say the diamond district but it can be quite daunting going into the shops that they have.. or macys, at at least macys you can see the prices online and the style. have a look at the tiffanys website too. might be a bit more pricy but they come in that little blue box! :)

Advertisement