Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petmania Galway

Options
  • 20-11-2010 1:12pm

Petmania now open beside Eye Cinema in Galway. Had a look around yesterday while dog got groomed pretty nice set up v light and airy store. Plenty of variety which I think Galway needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Cool will go in Monday for a look. Petworld needed the competition, their prices are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

petmania aint to cheap either

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Any Reptiles in there??
    Least it is competition for PetWorld cos they are nuts. I'd like to see how PetMania compares..
    Going in Saturday the iTeam are gonna be there :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Do they have a website?

Their beside ikea is decent enough. Been there a few times doing some window shopping and its decent enough prices.

Picked up a bale of straw there and got a nice 15% off voucher to be used in December. Could be fairly useful

godtabh wrote: »
    Do they have a website?

Their beside ikea is decent enough. Been there a few times doing some window shopping and its decent enough prices.

Picked up a bale of straw there and got a nice 15% off voucher to be used in December. Could be fairly useful

Ye but it's terrible. It just lists off all of their branches and contact details/address/opening hours.
    Search them on facebook, they have a page there which has some traffic on it.
    I've heard good things about them in Dublin Branches.. Cannot wait to see the Galway one!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 agniux

Went to the big opening today...
    Nothing new, lack the choices... so zooplus.ie will still have to do for the most of the stuff...
    As always, nothing for ferrets...
    No differences in prices from PetWorld (some items are even more expensive), it's just that there were sales today.
    Hopefully personal is much better trained though! Heard they had to undergo 6 weeks course... PetWorld staff is terrible... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bayingforblood

yup! i'll admit it, our website is in serious need of an overhaul - but it's underway so it'll be much more interesting in the new year! Re. stock - if you're looking for something in particular, just give the details to the store team, and if we can get it for you, we will :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bridie Greene

I visited the store on Saturday the opening day. I must say i was very very very very impressed with the store layout. My best impression was with the service with the fish dude. I must say he's one of the best employees i have ever seen. I wanna marry him he's GORGEOUS.

THE NEW FISH GUY FOR PRESIDENT!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

In my experience, the staff aren't great - don't know how to bag fish, or even what type fish they are bagging for you (cold/fresh etc.)

I wouldn't give them my money in these times... small retailers FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 agniux

I have such a bad experience with pet shops that sometimes it's hard to give them a chance...
    Another thing I run IrishFerrets and rescue them having no space nor resources and guess where those ferrets most of the time come from? Or worse, people buy them from pet stores and dump them somewhere in the bushes because staff were not even qualified enough to explain the ferret's needs...
    Of course, back yard breeders are not much better... Don't even know which one is lesser of two evils...
    Coming back to the products, I am still hoping to see more in a near future! :p As we go to the Eye Cinema almost every week, I'll often be there to check stuff out... :D

• Advertisement

It's a nice store, the staff in there, of the 2 i talked to are approachable and polite. Unlike PetWorld a lot of the time......
    And the quality of there frozen rodents for my snakes is much higher than that of petworld.
    Needless to say thats where i'm going anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

From my experience of the Petmania shop in Navan, they are a very expensive chain.

I often go in there for a look but wouldn't buy anything due to the high prices. Online or Jollyes in Newry/Enniskillen is half the price for some items.

Does anyone have there number?? the site doesn't have it and i'm looking on the FB page i don't see it either! I want there baby corn snake :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

can't wait to check it out, their tullamore store is great and cheaper than petworld even though I must say that I've always found the staff in petworld very friendly and helpful. one girl in particular is so sound and really knows her stuff.

anyway, will pop in to petmania at weekend for a nosey:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

They have canned Hills food in stock. Big + for them. I buy it online but it's good to know that at least 1 Galway store have it in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 cereal-killer

I find petmania to be a bit expensive to be honest, and pet world not so great. But I have found a great little independent pet shop I think ye should all know about. Three days ago, my boyfriend and I went to Petworld to purchase a syrian hamster, they had none, nor did petworld in briarhill or petmania. Typical example of the christmas stock being sold out really. So I made some enquiries and away we went to Pet Haven in Tuam. Let me tell you, gorgeous healthy looking animals and a well stocked shop, and the owner Keith, really seemed to know his stuff and was confident handling the hamsters (something you don't see in chain pet shops cause they're very nippy!). So happy with the set up of the store, I purchased Sabrina (for a mere ten euro might I add) a snowy white syrian. She has the glossiest coat, great temperment, and a brilliant example of how a pet shop should be run. Definitely worth the trip to tuam, I will be giving him all my business from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'd prefer a decent pet supply shop, minus the animals. What do they do with the rabbits and guineas they don't sell???

• Registered Users Posts: 30 velvet68

I have to say, the store looks well but I found them more expensive then Petworld on alot of items, and their product range isn't great. I have to say Petworld is the store for me, they have a loyalty scheme so i get rewards on what i spend and they have a price promise so if petmania are cheeper on something they will match the price. I found the staff in the Briarhill store really friendly and helpfull, I'll be staying with Petworld thanks. :D

velvet68 wrote: »
    I have to say, the store looks well but I found them more expensive then Petworld on alot of items, and their product range isn't great. I have to say Petworld is the store for me, they have a loyalty scheme so i get rewards on what i spend and they have a price promise so if petmania are cheeper on something they will match the price. I found the staff in the Briarhill store really friendly and helpfull, I'll be staying with Petworld thanks. :D
    nice of you to sign up just to give petworld such a glowing reference!:D

magentas wrote: »
    nice of you to sign up just to give petworld such a glowing reference!:D

Well I have been shopping with them for years as im a keen pet ownwer, I willalways speck up for something I believe in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

That aside though, I have to agree their points system is great, it's the only place that stocks the brand of dog food I buy, it's 9.99 for a 2kg bag and I've almost built enough points to get a free bag, which will be tres handy since I'm finishing my job in 2 weeks (although, hurrah I can't wait to get out of here)

I have to say Petworld is the store for me, they have a loyalty scheme so i get rewards on what i spend and they have a price promise so if petmania are cheeper on something they will match the price.

Their loyalty scheme is ridiculous, you get a point if you spend over €10 and thats it one point her transaction so even if you spent €200 you get the same loyalty points as someone spending €10.

I also hate when stores promise to pricematch..just lower all your prices and there wont be a need for this.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

TillyGirl wrote: »

I also hate when stores promise to pricematch..just lower all your prices and there wont be a need for this.:mad:

Unfortunately, people don't know how much it is to buy in food.. Esp. food like royal canin and eukanuba... The shop i work in only has like 10% profit on the dog food, and i get complaints every day about how expensive the food is... Out of that 10% we have to take out bust bags, out of date stock etc.

Their loyalty scheme is ridiculous, you get a point if you spend over €10 and thats it one point her transaction so even if you spent €200 you get the same loyalty points as someone spending €10.

If im spending alot i ask the girls in Petworld can i pay for it in bits so i get more points, they are always happy to do it and i prefer to get something back for my money then nothing at all like the others offers.

But i suppose I have alot of animals and money these days is tight so I like to fell i get value for my money. Look at Corrib oil, their loyalty scheme only gives you 1c for every €1 so if you spend €200 you only get €2 off.

have to agree with this, I always thought it was one point per €10 spent, but it's only one point for every TRANSACTION over €10. I bought something there before christmas for €180 expecting to get 18 loyalty points but no, just the one!

you need to collect 10points to receive €5off
    I've spent the guts of a grand there the last few months but I never buy in dribs and drabs and I've only got 2 vouchers so that's €10 off for purchases totaling nearly €1000

Not very "loyal" IMO

If im spending alot i ask the girls in Petworld can i pay for it in bits so i get more points, they are always happy to do it and i prefer to get something back for my money then nothing at all like the others offers.

I was in lately buying a crate costing €116 so that cant be divided out and paid for seperately so its a very unfair "loyalty" system.

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Unfortunately, people don't know how much it is to buy in food.. Esp. food like royal canin and eukanuba... The shop i work in only has like 10% profit on the dog food, and i get complaints every day about how expensive the food is... Out of that 10% we have to take out bust bags, out of date stock etc.

But why then offer to pricematch..if they can afford to sell at the same price of the other shops then they should sell them for that price and not wait for others to drop prices.

I never buy from stores that advertise that they price match..will buy from stores that take the lead and reduce prices first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

But why then offer to pricematch..if they can afford to sell at the same price of the other shops then they should sell them for that price and not wait for others to drop prices.

I never buy from stores that advertise that they price match..will buy from stores that take the lead and reduce prices first.

I know our shop doesn't pricematch, but we do get special offers in regularly and try to give our best service to all the customers and point out the specials.....

I'm not sure what reduction in price your looking for, i know the majority of places are a few euros difference in price for most food where i live but as i said before, the food is expensive to buy in, therefore a little bit more expensive for the customer... The profit margins on each bag isn't as much as you must think.. The majority of say 15kg bags you get in a pet shop, have maybe €2 profit on them??? And thats labour etc included!!!

But if ya come to my shop you always get a big smile!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 breaker2011

Just because places have price promises doesn't mean they can afford to charge them prices. They change the price for customer services but probably only break even when they do. I've worked in Petshops, Supermarkets and clothing stores, clothes make the most profit but most places need to charge the prices they do in this day and age. They also have so much to pay for. As for prices in Petmania V's Petworld they are much of a muchness. I like both stores and most staff are pleasent and nice. I do see the point on dog food there is no profit from it and they need to charge them prices. Blame the goverment for the tax increases then shops can bring down their prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Is it me or was there alot of folks signing up esp for this thread :pac:

I've yet to venture into Petmania so can't judge on it just yet!

Advertisement