Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any warm countries with good governments?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

liah wrote: »
    Frankly don't know a whole lot about New Zealand
    Possibly a good sign, after all they are never going to do a news segment about how really quite nice it is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

That's why I love living in Ireland, we get all the good things in your post without brutally bad weather.

basic human rights - yes

low crime rate - in world terms, we have a very low crime rate. 1.12 dead by murders per 100000 people last year, which is way lower than many countries and also only slightly higher than the countries in which the rate of murder is lower. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

low corruption - believe it or not, we were the 14th least corrupt on earth last year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

high quality of life - despite the recession, we continue to enjoy one of the highest standards of living on earth, 5th on earth apparantly, and I'd well believe it, looking at the level of social welfare payments for starters. Irish people are capable of expecting a very decent standard of living from living in this country to be honest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

low poverty - there is no reason for the people in Ireland who constitute the lowest income group on the socio-economc ladder to experience true/absolute poverty, although many probably do as a result of poor spending habits which is their responsibility to curb. Relative poverty and a social deprivation, yes. But opportunities exist for one to make a good life for oneself. Drive through any council estate and you will see 42 inch tv's, decent cars and sky digital.

good healthcare - medical cards for the "poor" are a generous initiative, but correctly enough there is lots of room for improvement of our health service, but I still believe it's functional.

education - fees are much lower than America of course, as well as the Uk. Not really aware what the situation is in other regions. So college students actually get off very lightly, even if it doesn't feel like it for them. However, on the subject of exam performance, apparently our teenagers are slipping up on the European league tables of exam results, but I personally would put this down to kids getting spoilt during the boom years and losing the good work ethic needed to succeed prior to the boom. I think things won't be helped by "project maths" either!

separation of church and state - I would prefer religion didn't exist but what can ya do!

low censorship - I think it's pretty low here, isn't it?

Now, couple all of this with the fact that:
    - we get no major natural disasters
    - we speak english (this is a benefit whether we deny it or not)
    - our weather is often very pleasant in the summer
    - people are reasonably sound on average
    - we don't get involved in wars
    etc..

and it's difficult to pick out a country that is better than Ireland overall to be honest. I think trying to have all this and brilliantly sunny weather is just greedy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

'stralia.

New Zealand.

/thread.

NZ isn't that warm and as for Oz having a good government? *chuckle*

Ireland isn't half as bad as is made out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

m@cc@ wrote: »
    NZ isn't that warm and as for Oz having a good government? *chuckle*

Ireland isn't half as bad as is made out.

Shame about the rain though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

... Oz having a good government? *chuckle*

We're the best bloody country in the werld!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

We're the best bloody country in the werld!:mad:

Did you vote for Gillard? Feckin' liar! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Australia MAAAAAATE

Greatest countryt in the World

Guraanteed* a fair Go over here Mate

* Appllicant Should Be White, English speaking, Prefereably British or Irish, Asians Considered, But if yer Black :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Best climate place I lived was probably Malaysia, but was only there for a few months. I guess the government isnt all that you want though.

If you are cutting out basically North America, Europe, Australia and NZ you wont find a place like you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Chile might be the closest come to think of it, but you wont find a place that is as wealthy and free as Western nations outside of western nations.

Then again basically everywhere with a good climate and a funtioning government is a "good" place to live if you have money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Did you vote for Gillard? Feckin' liar! :D

Perhaps he likes Welsh people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

How about the cayman islands? Heard it was a great place to live and work. You could also go for gibraltar, or one of the small islands in the atlantic owned by the UK like st. helena's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

clln wrote: »
    can only stay for a minute liah but i admire your thinking,if i knew of such a place i would keep it a selfish secret Lol !

It sounds like paradise and i am sure i have been too bad already to have that option:(

Hey i am with you,Ireland sucks(but not in the parts of me i enjoy being sucked!,that part is shrivelled up from the cold most of the time now:o)

bring on the revoloution but only after i have found the paradise you speak of and wimpy me is safe there :).

I think you speak for us all in what you say! Why not stay,run for Tee-Shock and take the shock from that sacred office?

Hey you bad guys WE deserve and demand HOPE........... all that misery from what is after all ink printed on paper.................. You Bastards

Dibs on that bong when you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

my personal potential paradises are

new zealand
    australia
    hawaii
    bali
    thailand
    south korea
    maldives
    potentially some african countries i know nothing about
    california
    oregon
    new england in the summer at least

in the next 18months ill hav visited all but the asian countries unless i get my greencard in may in which case ill commit to the states for a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Terry wrote: »
    What the **** are you babbling about?

Terry are you really that slow?
    It is not babble it is truth.
    Irelands demise is all down to bonds,currency,bullsh*t talk,IMF bailouts,ECB bailouts all printed on paper,believe it or not there was a time when Tulips were a sacred thing and a good place to invest,at least as sacred as gold or diamonds,check it out for yourself but don't display such ignorance.

The value of anything is what the markets decide it is............ pork belly's is another example of markets being crazy,it could be that tomorrow it is old socks.

These people are amoral compulsive gamblers wearing suits who bring countries to their knees for the thrill of the hunt,if you do not know that then you do not understand why Ireland has been screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Fizman wrote: »
    Dibs on that bong when you're done.

what are You on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What's this I hear about Australian censorship?

How about Botswana OP? Nice climate, people seem nice, stable political system, economy ticking along nicely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Einhard wrote: »
    What's this I hear about Australian censorship?

How about Botswana OP? Nice climate, people seem nice, stable political system, economy ticking along nicely.

Botswana is nice, the 24% HIV infection rate in over 18 year olds (well over 35% in 18-35 year olds) is not so nice though...

Stay away from sub-Saharan Africa, or if you must go there, just go to capetown or somewhere along the garden route...

I myself will be spending 3 months in sub-Saharan africa next winter (SA, Swaziland and Mozambique), if you want any more tips ask me in a year.

Spain is a good place to live, it will never be as ****ed as us, the EU can't allow it to be.

Argentina is a pretty good place to live, if you are employed by a foreign company (I have no idea what your qualifications are).

Chile is a beautiful country, Santiago has a very low crime rate and the govenrment is very stable.

Brazil is probably your best bet, the Government is stable, jobs are plentiful and if you stay away from the **** parts and the sketchy cities you can have a great live. Porto Alegre is apparently a beautiful city and has a good standard of living, almost everyone speaks english as it is part of the state cirrculum from pre to high school.

Brasília has a very high standard of living but it's in the middle of nowhere, hundreds of miles from the next major city and a long way form the coast.

The Brazilian economy is about to explode as soon as they start landing all that oil and gas they found a few years back, it's nationalised too, and the money is already earmarked entirely for social and infrastructural projects, so the entire country will have a big and rapid raise in the standard of living in the next 15 or so years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Also, someone else already said Malta.

I'd second it.

Not the world biggest country but has everything you would possibly want and it's fecking gorgeous, also very easy to get residency.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

PeakOutput wrote: »
    my personal potential paradises are

new zealand
    australia
    hawaii
    bali
    thailand
    south korea
    maldives
    potentially some african countries i know nothing about
    california
    oregon
    new england in the summer at least

in the next 18months ill hav visited all but the asian countries unless i get my greencard in may in which case ill commit to the states for a few years

Only the North Island on New Zealand can be considerred "warm". The climate of the South Island is very like our own.

South Korea? Seriously?:confused: First of all, it's very much a temperate country in the mid latitudes with hot summers, yes, but very cold freezing winters. Like the East Coast of the USA. No-one's idea of a balmy tropical paradise.

Also it has the giant sword of Damocles - North Korea - hanging over it.

Oregon? Nope. It's climate is not unlike our own - it gets quite a lot of rain and has a mild/oceanic climate but has a beautiful landscape. Forests, mountains and huge snow capped volcanoes.

Even California isn't the sunny "paradise" climate-wise it's thought to be. It's Southern California (LA and San Diego) that is sunny and warm but Northern California - including San Francisco - is quite mild and gets wet and foggy winters and springs. Then there are the earthquakes to contend with. I know as I lived there.:cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Madagascar?

I would love to go there for a year or two!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

'stralia.

New Zealand.

/thread.

I'm laughing my ass off at the idea that NZ is warm. Winters are quite cold (not quite as cold as Ireland but enough for scarves/gloves/hats and to ski in) but the worst thing is that houses in NZ don't have central heating, insulation or double glazing. The crazy kiwis have deluded themselves that it is not cold. Most kiwis don't know what a radiator is.

My first winter here was the hardest few months of my life. I've never worn so much fleecey clothes at the one time. I don't even live in the South Island. I dread to think what winter is like down there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

liah wrote: »
    I am not one of those people.

Your missing out. I'm quite pleased with California, even with the high taxes, cost of living and stupid gun laws.

NTM

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In as much as any government is competent, the south of France has great weather, beautiful scenery and political stability.

Costa Rica is pretty stable, beautiful and the weather is A-1 Sharon.

Brazil is getting its act together politically and the weather is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, France, geez, why didn't I think of that?

Spain and Portugal would be good too, I think. Yeah, I know they're not perfect but you need to get in before they are, it'll be too expensive to move there after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The Cayman Islands is overrun with you Canadians.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Japan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Australia, but it's full of bloody Australians Irish.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Now, couple all of this with the fact that:
    - we get no major natural disasters
    - we speak english (this is a benefit whether we deny it or not)
    - our weather is often very pleasant in the summer
    - people are reasonably sound on average
    - we don't get involved in wars
    etc..

That bit made me lol. Can't wait until they start measuring the "average soundness" of various nationalities. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Australia MAAAAAATE

Greatest countryt in the World

Guraanteed* a fair Go over here Mate

* Appllicant Should Be White, English speaking, Prefereably British or Irish, Asians Considered, But if yer Black :rolleyes:

Agree with this. They wouldn't be too far off if they renamed the place South East Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

hal9000 wrote: »
    Japan!
    Actually that's a good point - if you go to south Japan (maybe Okinawa?) you'd get beautiful beaches, hot weather, and all the crazy perks of living in Japan eg sushi and unbelievable arcades with retro Bomberman ;)

Advertisement