Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traps and Tricks and Such

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Not getting in the gym regularly enough at all. Time scarce. Exams and stuff coming up. /'scuses

Warm up

Squat
    4 warm up sets

150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5

Wow, still dicking around with this same weight for 2 weeks now it must be, BUT definitely have hit better and better depth. Deep in the hole on so many reps today, haha.

OH Press
    2 x warm upsets
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 6

Deadlift
    1 x warm up

170kg x 6

Chinups
    Forget... something like 4/5, 3, 2, 1, 1

Ab stuff

Calf ext. stuff

Very glad to have finally gotten back in for a full-ish, successful-ish session. Oh, my gym membership expires in 5 days. Let's see what I take outta next paycheck though.

Brownies & Winegums again

Warm up

Squat
    5 x warm up sets

152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 5
    152.5kg x 6

Bench
    3 x warm up

82.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5
    82.5kg x 6

Pendlay Row

65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5

Calf ext stuff

Treadmill inclines n' intervals stuff

Totally forgot about doing dips.

Wine gums n' carbs. Also some leftover Boost caffeine drink I had from trying to late-night exam cram. God that stuff's horrible.

It's the 6th day since I last trained and I haven't been eating very well and sleep's been kind of all over the place.

Warm up

Squat
    Warm up sets x 5
    155kg x 5
    155kg x 5
    155kg x 5
    155kg x 5
    155kg x 6

Didn't expect to be able for a PB.

OH Press
    Warm ups x 2

62.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    Well, I was fυcked at this point. So, so ****ed. Pretty sure I'd been using terrible form for the first two sets due to still being in bits from squats but then again there's just the 6 days of poor eating, crap sleep, and no training :cool:
    So then...
    60kg x 4
    60kg x 3
    60kg x 2

Weak.

Deadlift
    170kg x 3 + 2

Really should've upped it to 172.5kg for today. Next time. These were from a slight defecit anyway.

Chins

Ab stuff

Calf stuff

Reasonably successful session under the circumstances. After tomorrow I have all of the rest of January to get to the gym every evening I want. Then college again.

Warm up

Squat
    4 x warm up

155kg x 5
    155kg x 5
    155kg x 5

...TENDINITIS (or tendinosis?)

Right forearm and bicep. So horrible. I'm going to try again on Sunday. Any knowledge on how to nurse this thing 'til then would be real appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Right forearm and bicep. So horrible. I'm going to try again on Sunday. Any knowledge on how to nurse this thing 'til then would be real appreciated.

I just ice the **** outa the area and take a pile of anti-inflams.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Rice Krispies n' whey washed down with creatine for breakfast.

Warm up
    The usual; shoulder stretches, broomstick swings, hip swings, calf stretches, loads of leg and hip stretches on the floor

Squat
    4 x warm ups

157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5

Nearly didn't get my hip extension back from one or two of these; nearly falling forward. Saved 'em all though. Back pump was in full force from set 1, haha. I think it's because I was keeping a pretty high bar position to limit the decimation of my elbows/forearms this time. It worked, to an extent. I was able to bench after squats, just about. First two sets on bench were the most awkward, then my elbows steadied up a bit.

Bench
    3 x warm ups

85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5

Serious restage in between most of these sets. Today's bar speed was so slow, not sure why but couldn't help it.

Pendlays
    67.5kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5

I might have actually only done 4 sets. Don't remember, was rushing with gym closing.

Dips
    like 4, then 2

Happy to get another rung higher on the squat ladder today. Knee feels messed up. Think the worst of that little bout of tendinitis in my arm is over at least.

Brownies 'n wine gums again. I might want to rethink these though. Bodyfat really hasn't seen any miraculous change here like.

Warm up

SQUAT
    5 x ramp up / warm up sets

160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5

**** was ugly. Too br00tal for me to really remember how good/bad depth was. Which I'm going to take to mean poor depth.
    I should learn how to front squat and then do that some, I nearly fell forward altogether on a rep today...

OH PRESS
    3 x warm ups

65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 3
    65kg x 2

Still not back where I was on these. 65kg proved too much to finish off today. My form/lean feels crap and I'm pausing too long between reps, is a lot of the problem. Next time.

DEADLIFT

172.5kg x 3 + 2

I could barely lock out the last few of these. Worried that I'm up against an actual plateau here but sure I'll have a crack at 175kg next time and see what happens.

I did some shrugs then for maybe the first time ever. They're weird and it's hard to feel like I'm doing them properly. Hoping for some DOMS tomorrow though. Nom.
    100kg x 8
    60kg x 8

Switched to DBs
    20s x 14
    20s x 14
    20s x 12
    30s x 10
    30s x 8

I don't know if I'm doing the full ROM properly and it feels hard to know how far back to keep my shoulders clenched etc, if at all. Will they at least help build grip and forearms?

Then some CHINS

Sucked extra hard at these today.

Calf ext stuff
    Attempt at calf fascia stretching

Warm up

Squat
    5 x warm up sets

160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5
    160kg x 5

Then had to leave early to some gardening before it got dark ¬_¬

Gonna come back tomorrow to do rest of the workout and maybe even squat again. Squats were pretty ugly again today. Fairly sure it was all at least to parallel but not going to up the weight from 160kg again 'til I'm getting full depth on everything, 'cause my right knee feels messed up and I'd say not getting enough depth doesn't help that.

Something must be up with my feet stance or I'm getting my right knee too far outside my right foot (or maybe not enough, not even in line with my foot like). Serious clickage in my right knee every time I turn left on it.

Warm up

Squat
    4 x warm up

140kg x 3

160kg x here's where it gets interesting*
    No doors or windows were open in the gym tonight and it was kind of busy and warm and there was a load of condensation on the bar I guess, where the plates sit like. So I'm walking out 160kg from the rack and before I know what the ****'s happening, plates are spilling all over the place off one side, then the other, then the other again. Suddenly I'm holding an empty bar, haha. I didn't really notice if anyone else really cared, but, definitely kind of embarrassing...
    *hilarious

Put the plates back on (and CLIPS) and did:

160kg x 3
    170kg x 2
    180kg x 1
    190kg x 1 (fair ol' battle upward, definitely went deep enough in the hole though as far as my brain can remember, bursting as it was at the time)

I was planning on having the crack at 200kg (will be so stoked to get that) but surprise surprise, elbows/forearms were yet again already annihilated with the tendonitis or whatever at stage, and I really wanted to bench today, so I took the 190kg for now and went on my way.

Bench

85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 6

Messy, and bar speed was ****e again but I really think when I give the tendinitis/elbow issues a chance to clear I should be flying toward 90kg for 5x5. I guess a 100kg 1RM is do-able now, too. I might have a go.

Pendlay
    67.5kg x 5 x 3 x gym closed, had to leave

Did some ab stuff and calf ext stuff at home then ~10 mins later.

Also, ordered this belt: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raw-Power-Competition-single-prong-weightlifting-belt-/370341457994?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item563a12304a

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

No doors or windows were open in the gym tonight and it was kind of busy and warm and there was a load of condensation on the bar I guess, where the plates sit like. So I'm walking out 160kg from the rack and before I know what the ****'s happening, plates are spilling all over the place off one side, then the other, then the other again. Suddenly I'm holding an empty bar, haha. I didn't really notice if anyone else really cared, but, definitely kind of embarrassing...
    *hilarious

Could have been a lot worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

190kg x 1

Good work.

Warm up

Squat
    5 x warm up sets

162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5

Right knee still clicking and feeling so sketchy in between and after sets, everything else was really grand. Got my depth. Sound gentleman in my gym gave me some tips and stuff and a spot.
    Not much tendinitis today for whatever reason.

OH Press
    2 x warm up

65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 4 + Fail
    Tried another go at that last one rep.
    Failed again.

Deadlift
    100kg x 3

175kg x 6

Ah yeah.

Chins
    4, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1

Shrugs with DBs: 25s x 4 x 10

Some ab stuff

Fairly happy today. I know I would have def gotten the OH Press 5x5 and all had I actually made a proper attempt to lean back a bit on the last 2 sets.

Belt should be arriving soon. And lifting straps.

Just some running today. For the first time in a million years.

Intervals with inclines (slight). About 3.5km in around 24 mins. About 400 kcals according to the thing.

Nearly died of ankle pain halfway through. Lungs were graaand. Ankles and shins just couldn't hack it haha.

Deadlift =/= Squat

What's the craic with that?

Ha, good question. Maybe the program I've been doing just tips the balance that way since it has me squatting more often and upping the squat weight more often. That occurred to me alright. I'd really like to be doing better at deadlifts...

Ugh, only got back in the gym today. Not being able to afford to miss college is gonna be a problem from now on. Think I'll half to split my workouts into <90-minute jobs more frequently over the week. It's the only way I'll get to work on time or from work to gym to college on time or from college to gym before closing time. TIME.

Warm up

Squat

5 warm up sets

162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5

All nice and deep. Except for one set where some wiseguy left what I can only assume is some kind of toy for small children (big inflated ball) between me and the mirror and I wasn't as sure how low I was.
    I usually watch for part of my hams/glutes dipping into view at the bottom to see when I'm below parallel.

Right knee and bits of lower right quad still feel so, so sketchy. Not much clicking today though at least.

Bench

3 x warm ups

85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    85kg x 5

Plus side of the silly 6-day holiday from training I just took is that my elbows and shoulders feel fantastic. I've been doing little bits of stretching every day just out of habit or whatever. No tendinitis or nuthin'.

Gym closed.

Squat

165kg x 5
    165kg x 5
    165kg x 5
    165kg x 5
    165kg x 5

OH Press

65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 6

Some calf ext and crosstrainer stuff

Deadlift
    2 x warm up sets

177.5kg x 6

Chinups

These were terrible. I've put on like 6kg or something all of a sudden so that might have something to do with it :\

DB Shrugs
    25s x 20
    25s x 16
    25s x 16
    20s x 20

DB brocep curls
    15s x 8
    15s x 8
    15s x 8

Treadmill inclined intervals
    Don't remember what I did. Probably something like ~2k in <15 mins. Had to stop due to more ankle agony. It's a tendon or something on the outer side of each ankle. The one that's stretched out when you're on tip of toes, like. Or the one that contracts when you try pointing your toes toward your head.

Yesterday

SQUAT
    167.5kg x 5
    167.5kg x 5
    167.5kg x 5
    167.5kg x 5
    167.5kg x 5

BENCH
    87.5kg x 5
    87.5kg x 5
    87.5kg x 5
    87.5kg x 5
    87.5kg x 5

Ab stuff

Had to leave then. To be concluded...

I'm gonna say it.

I think you're squatting high.

• Advertisement

Like, not enough depth? Because my DL sucks? I've had a few people say my depth and form are good, I didn't even ask them about it so I'd be surprised if they were just BSin' me for no reason... I'll try to verify this depth question for myself at least though.

Like, not enough depth? Because my DL sucks? I've had a few people say my depth and form are good, I didn't even ask them about it so I'd be surprised if they were just BSin' me for no reason... I'll try to verify this depth question for myself at least though.

Well, to be making constant 5 x 5 progress like that is pretty nuts. Like you've gone from a 70kg squatter to 170 5 x 5 in what 5 months?

And your deadlift.

I'd be careful who i get to call depth in there!

That big dude Marcus was spotting for me most of my 162.5kg Squats the other day and said all was good, I made sure to ask if he meant depth and he did mean that depth was good.
    Just before Christmas COH was there when I was doing a few sets of 100kg and he was saying "Lower!" to me. I don't know if he was saying I wasn't hitting parallel or just encouraging even more depth for good measure. The former is more likely there I guess.

I dunno, maybe COH has seen me more recently and would know. I'm pretty confident I'm going below parallel, like. LiamHenners and L, I kimd of want to tell you to just believe it or don't believe it, but I'll get someone to have a look I suppose before I go letting my ego get all hurt :)

IF they were high at least I might then have an obvious cause of and solution to my right knee's sketchiness/aching.

It's definitely more like 8 months since 70kg, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

I have to say if you're really hitting depth then fair fooking play! I'm not gonna lie, reading along here I was like "This guy is getting fatter and squatting higher by the day." But if it's all good then seriously impressive gains so far, long may it continue, and 300kgs 5 x 5 by the end of the year! :D

So I took on board ( /let get to me ¬_¬ ) the doubts about whether parallel was being hit. I think I can safely say that today, it definitely was. Was it being hit previously? Seems like yeah, but, just. I asked the dude again who had been spotting me a few days ago and he said 'twas deep enough then but only just about. 2/3 white flags in a competition job, or something. I didn't really understand that part of whatever he was saying, haha.

Dropped back a little in squat weight today for a few reasons. To make sure depth is being gotten and it was playing on my mind that I haven't really eaten or done anything right in the last 3-4 days.

Squat
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5

Doing benching and the rest of the workout tomorrow morning.

I was saying to COH when he asked whether I'm gonna compete sometime, my motivation has pissed right off in the 6 weeks or so.
    I blame a long time doing a boring program, caring way too much about advancing one lift (squat - I'm ****ing sick of even thinking about squatting) above all others and me getting really negative and paranoid about losing gains after just one or two days without training. It drains my motivation so much.

So I'd like either to go back to training MMA somewhere or at the least, commit to compete in some powerlifting comp soon. Should help me get my heart back into training semi-properly and at least I'll feel there's an obvious point to it all.

Enter the IPOs to ****!! :)

So I took on board ( /let get to me ¬_¬ ) the doubts about whether parallel was being hit. I think I can safely say that today, it definitely was. Was it being hit previously? Seems like yeah, but, just. I asked the dude again who had been spotting me a few days ago and he said 'twas deep enough then but only just about. 2/3 white flags in a competition job, or something. I didn't really understand that part of whatever he was saying, haha.

Dropped back a little in squat weight today for a few reasons. To make sure depth is being gotten and it was playing on my mind that I haven't really eaten or done anything right in the last 3-4 days.

Squat
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5
    162.5kg x 5

Doing benching and the rest of the workout tomorrow morning.

I was saying to COH when he asked whether I'm gonna compete sometime, my motivation has pissed right off in the 6 weeks or so.
    I blame a long time doing a boring program, caring way too much about advancing one lift (squat - I'm ****ing sick of even thinking about squatting) above all others and me getting really negative and paranoid about losing gains after just one or two days without training. It drains my motivation so much.

So I'd like either to go back to training MMA somewhere or at the least, commit to compete in some powerlifting comp soon. Should help me get my heart back into training semi-properly and at least I'll feel there's an obvious point to it all.

And try a different programme. One that involves squatting less than 3 times a week.
    There are heaps of options dude, you have done well enough on the whole 5x5 linear stuff to justify a change. Don't bore yourself with it.

Briefly:
    WARMUP

OH Press
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 6

And another x2 then for the laugh.

Deadlift

180kg x 5
    Plus another x1
    Then added a 100kg x 5 for some back pump

Shrugs
    27.5kg DBs
    3 x ~16

Chins

Seated Calf ext stuff.
    And then to an elliptical cross trainer thing for some next level calf pump. Like .55km in 5:00 at the highest setting (20). I presume that's a level of resistance or something.

Oh and then a ton of agonising foam rolling on my quads, particular the inner sides just above the knee. So painful yet so nice, haha. Hoping they do me lots of good and that right knee cops on.

Mostly just did what I wanted today. This is what I need to enjoy the gymnasium again.

And thanks, D'Oracle and L, (and COH for suggesting it to begin), I intend to listen to you and to do a comp. I couldn't do that 5th march one because I have no money right now to join the fed and then pay the comp entry fee AND then also get a leotard. 800 in collegeboy fees currently need to be paid 3 weeks ago, heh.

Probably picking up my new belt from home in 6 days.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, you tested your squat a couple of weeks ago.

Have you tested your dead?
    Just throwing it out there.

Advertisement