Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm refusing to drink out from now on

Options
  • 24-01-2011 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

We all know the price of alcohol is ridiculous in pubs and instead of heading out early, a good few people have adapted to getting drunk in the house and having 1 or 2 when they get out.

Last weekend I hit the off license and picked myself up a nice bottle of smirnoff for €16.00 which was on sale. A few hours later I was out in Temple Bar and got myself and a mate 2 vodka's 1 redbull which came to €17.00. 17 Fúcking quid?! What?!

I've noticed in some places the shítty little bottles of bud/bulmers/beer/whatever come to 6 or 7 quid, when you can get a can of it in the offlicense for 2.

So, 2 shots of vodka, in which i'm pretty sure the barman didn't even give full portions of, cost more than an entire bottle. Never mind the fact that the off license can sell it for the cheap €16.00 and still make a massive profit.

Said pub/club was absolutely jammers with people drinking shots/shorts and what not.

It's scandalous, is there no regulator for this? Do you head out and pay these retarded prices for drink?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I sat in and knocked back a bottle of smirnoff, bottle or pirhana cola schnaps and two bottles of miller.

€28 euro all in and free music provided by Live Aid Box set played on Panasonic home cinema.

F**k the pubs.

Now, where did I leave that neurophen ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

And this my friends is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy,white tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sykk wrote: »
    It's scandalous, is there no regulator for this?

....must....resist.....rolleyes smiley....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

A few hours later I was out in Temple Bar and got myself and a mate 2 vodka's 1 redbull which came to €17.00. 17 Fúcking quid?! What?!

There's your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Vodka red bulls are always a rip off out.

Ahem, I'd never suggest bringing cans in in your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I'm refusing to eat out ...

For rather different reasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

8 cans of Bavaria for €8 + some 80's tunes.

Can't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

Invest in a hip flask. You'll pay for it in one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It's scandalous, is there no regulator for this? Do you head out and pay these retarded prices for drink?

Why would there be a regulator?

Prices are that high because of (1) the very high taxes we impose on alcohol (2) the very restrictive regulation we have of pubs and (3) because people are willing to pay that price.

If people go to other, cheaper pubs, then prices will come down.

The Temple Bar is a special exception though, because they have Americans there all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

did you pay the €17 op? if a barman quoted me that for 2 spirits and a split i would turn on my heels and leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

RichieC wrote: »

I'd never suggest that either, a naggin of vodka on the other hand has more drink and is easier to hide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

. A few hours later I was out in Temple Bar and got myself and a mate 2 vodka's 1 redbull which came to €17.00. 17 Fúcking quid?! What

5 Euro for a double vodka and redbull in switch in temple bar up untill 2003. Sweet! The feckin McDowell brought in laws to stop drink from being so cheap

Yes there is. theyre called the vinters federation, and they actually want to make it more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

€17?! thats fcuking ridiculous, why the hell did you pay it? i got two vodkas and a cranberry for €9 somethin in maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I'd never suggest that either, a naggin of vodka on the other hand has more drink and is easier to hide!

Touché! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Prazsky - Nicest beer known to man and only €4.50 for 4 cans! Cant go wrong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Prices are that high because of (1) the very high taxes we impose on alcohol (2) the very restrictive regulation we have of pubs and (3) because people are willing to pay that price.

Duty is 44c per shot of 40% vodka. I wouldn't call that "very high".

From here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

Be careful - too much Rick Ashley will give you an awful pain ;)
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    8 cans of Bavaria for €8 + some 80's tunes.

Can't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

I brew my own beer. Sit here, getting slaughtered at about - 50c a pint. Type a load of rubbish. Go to bed. Life is sweet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

If you are using hipflasks, don't forget to tell the people you're with, or the illusion caused by the nice safe diet coke they think you're drinking will make them think there's someone available to drive them home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

erm... just don't go to the expensive pubs...

there's plenty around that are cheap or have decent deals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Went to a gig in Cork the other night, first time I'v been out in ages.......

Before we went out, I went halves on a box of Budweiser with a friend:

€15 for 20 bottles of bud (€7.50 each for 10 bottles), drank 5 before we went out!

Went to pub, drank 3 bottles while I was out:

€12 for 3 bottles of bud (€4 per bottle)

Had a house party after and drank my other 5 bottles!

If I had paid pub prices for the 13 bottles that I drank Saturday night, it would have cost me €52 compared to the €19.50 I actually spent

It's no wonder people don't go to pubs anymore......... We are getting fleeced!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Was out on Saturday for a friends going away do. I'm not one for heading to town (Dublin) as everywhere is shíte and expensive. An exception was made for this night and I tell ya it'll be the last.

Taxi to town €25, Quick bite before drinking €10, few games of pool in the palace and a few beers €40, onto Solas - about €50-€60, back to the palace €10 in, one bottle of heineken €5, bacon cheese fries from eddie rockets €6 and lastly, taxi home for another €25.

In total I spent about €175.

How can it possibly cost that much money to go on a night out in town!? Even if you take away the taxis it's still a €125 night out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

^
    You spent €100 on drink... did you not stop to think at the time that, even €40 was too much?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

^
    You spent €100 on drink... did you not stop to think at the time that, even €40 was too much?

Well the €40 covered the pool table also which was €12 p/h and we were there for 2 hours.

At the time, I was enjoying myself. Still stand by that I had a good night. Just wont be doing it again anytime soon.

Dunnes >> Miller >> House = Sorted.

I spent about 70 or 80 euro in two hours in the nightclub on saturday night (on top of the pub and drinks at the house before hand)! Looking in the wallet on sunday was not a pleasant sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

RichieC wrote: »

What I can't understand is how the underage/barely legal morons can afford to pour it down their neck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I sat in and knocked back a bottle of smirnoff, bottle or pirhana cola schnaps and two bottles of miller.

€28 euro all in and free music provided by Live Aid Box set played on Panasonic home cinema.

F**k the pubs.

Now, where did I leave that neurophen ?

You sound like a great lad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I'd rather sit in the pub, even if it is more expensive. Better craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I spent about 70 or 80 euro in two hours in the nightclub on saturday night (on top of the pub and drinks at the house before hand)! Looking in the wallet on sunday was not a pleasant sight.

Spent or lost?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I'd rather sit in the pub, even if it is more expensive. Better craic.

No cleaning up to do either:D

Advertisement