Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of xtravision?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

They have a great offer at the moment 2 dvd's 2 cans of pop and a bag of popcorn all for €10:rolleyes:
    No thanks xtravision i will watch the 2 movies on the net got my popcorn for 89c in Lidl and will get my 2 cans of pop for 66c at buylo, total cost €1.55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

Rent all my movies on itunes. xtravision is so last decade. Apple TV is great.

But.. you need a good internet connection atleast 3mb.

I suppose if you don't have internet then old fashion DVD is ok, but with the internet today you can rent hi-dev movies easily on itunes.

(not to talk about all the pirate downloads)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Hold on a second..."does be busy?" WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Can you rent blu-ray movies nowadays ?
    Surely that would be good for them because i assume they are a bastard to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

LighterGuy wrote: »
    look at chartbusters. They closed 17 of its stores in what seemed to be to stay afloat. .
    The 18th of its stores was closed last friday night. :p

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0122/fire_stillorgan.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Although You may think its more, the average speed in the USA is under 4mbits

that is true, but i'm sure that average is a little skewed with huge metropolitan areas having 100meg + where as vast amount of areas having none. 310~ million people too compared to our 4.5 million.
    The 18th of its stores was closed last friday night. :p

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0122/fire_stillorgan.html

was already closed before the fire http://www.thejournal.ie/three-firemen-treated-after-major-stillorgan-fire-2011-01/

off topice, rte are getting really shoddy with their stories such a lack of information compared to other sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

off topice, rte are getting really shoddy with their stories such a lack of information compared to other sites.

QFT..... like a bloody twitter update.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Personally I think they are over-priced along with a poor selection throughout the shop.

I've also gone in their to buy a ps3/xbox/wii/ds (Over past few years) but for some reason they are always missing something so they cant sell them to me?!

Advertising deals that "staff" dont even know about..

The only reason they are surviving in my town is due to the fact theirs no competition to go against them. If their was, Im pretty sure they would have closed a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sanjuro wrote: »
    And they're about to introduce a new way of working that'll change the company.

Like these guys ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steorn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

I think their days are numbered. You have Apple TV, Google TV on the way and also the new Samsung TV'S with a movie App built into the software. You connect it to the wifi in your house and download the movie from your couch. They are all released the same day they are released for renting. 4.00e to rent and you can even buy movies and store them on your TV. You get a week to watch it aswell so no late fines! ........... Cant wait for the new TV to arrive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think ALOT of people are underestimating the technology gap, here, its not Tokyo where everyone is mad into electronics and internet use, for every one person who downloads or streams movie online, there are countless people who would think your talking about rivers and lakes if you suggested a stream.

I work in an Xtravision (not in the new Bray store), the place is packed on weekends, and someone said earlier about movies not selling out, not true, I was working today and all 55 copies of The Town were gone, all 30 copies of Buried were gone and Takers was out too. During the week people rent alot aswell, as parents rent kids movies by the bucket-full to keep the little ones quiet.

But people are saying Netflix will be the end on rental stores, and I agree that it will be a big competitor, but with the majority of the nation either on a shocking eircom broadband connection (myself included) without the bandwidth to download, and hundreds of thousands of people who would have no clue how to watch movies online, the simplicty of taking 5mins to pop down and rent a DVD for €4 will be a much more viable option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I think ALOT of people are underestimating the technology gap, here, its not Tokyo where everyone is mad into electronics and internet use, for every one person who downloads or streams movie online, there are countless people who would think your talking about rivers and lakes if you suggested a stream.

I work in an Xtravision (not in the new Bray store), the place is packed on weekends, and someone said earlier about movies not selling out, not true, I was working today and all 55 copies of The Town were gone, all 30 copies of Buried were gone and Takers was out too. During the week people rent alot aswell, as parents rent kids movies by the bucket-full to keep the little ones quiet.

But people are saying Netflix will be the end on rental stores, and I agree that it will be a big competitor, but with the majority of the nation either on a shocking eircom broadband connection (myself included) without the bandwidth to download, and hundreds of thousands of people who would have no clue how to watch movies online, the simplicty of taking 5mins to pop down and rent a DVD for €4 will be a much more viable option.

Spot on my parents don't even own a computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Why do you think this?

Its my first stop in this town when I'm picking up a new Xbox title. Can and do be cheaper then Gamestop many times, and other times have had titles when Gamestop don't carry them.

Their tradein allowance does tend to be higher than Gamestop as well.

The industry seems to be thinking beyond the console, to cloud gaming without hardware where the game is delivered to your living room.

It's a mirror of the way movies are/will be viewed. Gamestop will have to adjust or fail also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The industry seems to be thinking beyond the console, to cloud gaming without hardware where the game is delivered to your living room.

It's a mirror of the way movies are/will be viewed. Gamestop will have to adjust or fail also.

100% right.
    "Digital Distribution" is what companies (both games and movie companies) want and have been pushing for the last few years.

Cut out "the middle man" (the shops) and get more revenue. No packaging costs and sell the same product at the same retail value. So instead of selling a game at what, say 20 euro (?) per copy to a store such as xtra vision. Companies can cut them out and still charge the full whack for them. 49.99 etc.

If my memory serves me correct, Valve's "Steam" service was one of the first to offer so. When Half Life 2 came out in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 whats this for?

What's the advantage of Apple and Google TV over the likes of Sky? How does it work? Here's a link for anyone wondering how Xtra Vision are doing http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1023/1224281820323.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Boring fact: Xtravision are owned by Blockbuster, who are in turn owned by Viacom, the same company the owns MTV.

Used to work for them back in college, one of the best jobs ever, day shift was dead, popped my feet up on the desk and watched movies. I'm pretty sure I've seen every film made between 2002 and 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Boring fact: Xtravision are owned by Blockbuster, who are in turn owned by Viacom, the same company the owns MTV.

Used to work for them back in college, one of the best jobs ever, day shift was dead, popped my feet up on the desk and watched movies. I'm pretty sure I've seen every film made between 2002 and 2004.

It was a boring fact. They ain't got nothing to do with Blockbuster anymore. Birchhall investments own them now.

My local one looks a hell of a lot quieter on weekends compared to how busy it was when i worked there years ago. They even close 2 hours earlier than they used to as the shop would be empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

It was a boring fact. They ain't got nothing to do with Blockbuster anymore. Birchhall investments own them now.

My local one looks a hell of a lot quieter on weekends compared to how busy it was when i worked there years ago. They even close 2 hours earlier than they used to as the shop would be empty.

Same with my store. they used to be open much later, then close earlier now, and less people go in aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Gamestop had massive losses in Ireland last year but they blamed that on the fact that there was no big release console out in 2010, I know Xtravision sell phones and electrical items that Gamestop don't sell but i'm sure the same applies to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It does be busy. I myself rent alot of games and films.
    The place does be busy whenever I pass by.
    Can and do be cheaper then Gamestop many times,
    Begorrah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Spunge wrote: »
    Can you rent blu-ray movies nowadays ?
    Surely that would be good for them because i assume they are a bastard to download.

No they aren't. Pain in the arse staying under the 250GB ntl AUP though, so my mate tells me.

I recently got into bu-ray and would have happily rented the odd one but my local chart busters went busto :(

Once you start 720p you can't go back. The Nautilus submarine in The league of extraordinary genlement was just ecstasy for the eyeballs in HD.

Things like http://www.acetrax.com/ via Samsung TV's are the future though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Anytime i go into the one in Stillorgan its always packed, so much so the other night there was about 10 people in front of me. I think there price drop is very good handed the guy €5.50 the other night and he said its only €4 which i think is a great saving.

That reminds me i still havent brought it back so thats more money for been two days late D'oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

There is an Irish service which will rent movies online coming very soon- it has a massive back-catalogue of movies and albums and will allow you 4 days to watch your selections. Also if you buy music from the site you can share it legally with up to 5 friends, a new departure from iTunes.

I reckon such a service will be the death knell of video stores, and especially the DVD by post model that keeps you waiting days on end. Internet TV is only around the corner folks, life is about to be lived a whole lot quicker :D

I'm recruiting for them at the moment, PM me if you're in web design, dev or digital marketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

A mate of mine does be working in Xtravision and says that game rentals are up, along with phones and DVD/Bluray players.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

RobitTV wrote: »

I Wouldnt be sad to see it go either!

Why?
    Personally,I'd be sad to see any business go under in the current climate and see more people losing jobs.

Anyway, I love Xtra Vision. I buy a lot of blu-rays and DVDs from them...can get some real bargains on their ex-rentals. My oh also gets a much better deal trading in games there than he does in, say, Smiths or Gamestop.

Could never really get into downloading films and watching them on the laptop - much prefer to watch a blu-ray on the HD telly; much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Could never really get into downloading films and watching them on the laptop - much prefer to watch a blu-ray on the HD telly; much better quality.

There are so many options out there that will allow you watch even 1080p HD content that has been downloaded via the Internet right on your HD TV. In fact I stream 720p HD episodes of the tech TV shows that I watch (completely free & legal).

As for Xtravision, I would like to see them offer services like Netflix.

I would like there to be an open streaming service/architecture that allowed companies like Netflix/Xtravision/etc deliver content to customers. I would like it to be open so it's available to techies that would like to integrate it in their custom setup and also in all the various HD media boxes that are available E.g. WDTV Live, etc. I am a little nervous that the future of streaming will be platform (hardware & software) as well as bandwidth dependent.

Don't charge people to get access to & interrogate the service, charge them for what they eventually watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    I have it on good authority the internet revolution still hasn't arrived to bray

honestly, my other half's mates up there spend most of their spare cash on buying DVDs etc in their local xtravision

don't ask me!?!?

Profits are stedily increasing since last year at my local store (friend is the manager)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

They may make profits now but its only a matter of time. All it will take is an announcement that some company are offering cheap downloadable movies and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

They may make profits now but its only a matter of time. All it will take is an announcement that some company are offering cheap downloadable movies and thats it.

Xtravision are probably planning the same thing so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

Xtravision are just another bunch of middle men and we all know that there is no room for middle men in todays highstreet,tough *hit I say. Farewell blockbuster

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement