Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of xtravision?

Options
  • 23-01-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Do you think xtravision is still making a profit?

i went in there Today, i had a gift voucher of 10 euro and The selection was rubbish, They had nothing in their really, and everything seemed to be overpriced, and people dont even go in their anymore, I Remember i was at my cousins for the night while my parents were away this was about nearly 10 years ago, she went to xtravision rented a movie and the selection was great and everything was so cheap!

Do you think its the end of xtravision? they dont seem to be making the money anymore.

I Wouldnt be sad to see it go either!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

I have a lot of friends who work there. It does be busy. I myself rent alot of games and films. Not sure about everyone else, but I dont see them as failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was in there today

It was €5.25 or possibly €5.50 to rent a new release last summer

Now €4 is the max price they have.
    Over 20% cut, that's big for any business

The place does be busy whenever I pass by.
    I've spent hundreds there on ipods, mobiles and boxsets. Handy, a one stop shop almost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Can you say which shop it was? I find it varies. I was in the one in Enniscorthy over Christmas and it was packed to the ceiling with stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

one in Bray has doubled its floorspace in the last 2-3 months. Must be making some money but I somehow doubt it's from rentals. Say they make their money on televisions/blu-ray players/mp3 players etc.

I hope they don't close, I like to go to look at the new DVD releases section on the website to find out what to download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sacramento wrote: »
    I hope they don't close, I like to go to look at the new DVD releases section on the website to find out what to download.

You're not really helping the matter, are you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I remember back when we rented tapes every box threatened a 25p fine if you didn't rewind the tape ready for the next customer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd be sad to see them close but I don't see how they can survive in this climate. Many stores now sell electrical goods too.. I don't know anyone who has ever bought a tv or whatever in Xtra-Vision though, they're not exactly the most competitive of prices

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I work there, in a small enough store. Place gets mad busy at times and takes in a fair bit of money on weekends.

And people do buy tvs and DVD players.

And phones. Lots of phones.

I think it's more that they tend to be local, so if you're in an area that isn't near a shopping centre, electronics are still only a walk away.
    Games retail, phones, ipods, hdmi cables, earphones. Things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They'll be gone for good as soon as a Netflix or Vudu similar service appears over here to stream movies direct. They should launch this themselves if they want to stay around, the clock is ticking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's nice when you wander in and are reminded of things to put in your basket on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Was in Xtravision in Ongar on friday night. Dont really go into Xtra-vision. But it was busy there. So maybe their business is mainly weekends (which makes sense)

In a side note, the dark haired girl working there has an amazing bum. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Since Chartbusters went I'd say they've gained business. With money tight for most people it seems rather than going to the pub, a lot of people get dvds and drink at home at the weekend. My local Xtravision on a Friday or Saturday night always has a queue of about 8-10 people at the counter renting stuff. They're not too bad for pre-owned games either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

one in Bray has doubled its floorspace in the last 2-3 months. Must be making some money but I somehow doubt it's from rentals. Say they make their money on televisions/blu-ray players/mp3 players etc.

I have it on good authority the internet revolution still hasn't arrived to bray

honestly, my other half's mates up there spend most of their spare cash on buying DVDs etc in their local xtravision

don't ask me!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

RobitTV wrote: »
    Do you think xtravision is still making a profit?

i went in there Today, i had a gift voucher of 10 euro and The selection was rubbish, They had nothing in their really, and everything seemed to be overpriced, and people dont even go in their anymore, I Remember i was at my cousins for the night while my parents were away this was about nearly 10 years ago, she went to xtravision rented a movie and the selection was great and everything was so cheap!

Do you think its the end of xtravision? they dont seem to be making the money anymore.

I Wouldnt be sad to see it go either!

Why do you think this?

Its my first stop in this town when I'm picking up a new Xbox title. Can and do be cheaper then Gamestop many times, and other times have had titles when Gamestop don't carry them.

Their tradein allowance does tend to be higher than Gamestop as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I think the brand itself is their best asset and where they go with it will determine their fate.

I'd imagine they've acknowledged their core bricks and mortar business of the last 25+ years is disappearing fast and they're not in a position to compete with movie streaming providers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

The often the cheapest around for new and pre-owned games. Thats all I go in there for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Ever go on a Saturday evening? It's packed with fu@kers who always rent all the new films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I remember back when we rented tapes every box threatened a 25p fine if you didn't rewind the tape ready for the next customer :eek:

Used to hate that because some people like to read the end credits first to see which actors play which characters. XtraVision never sussed this!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Sacramento wrote: »

I actually do this as well, LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Was in there today

It was €5.25 or possibly €5.50 to rent a new release last summer

Now €4 is the max price they have.
    Over 20% cut, that's big for any business

The place does be busy whenever I pass by.
    I've spent hundreds there on ipods, mobiles and boxsets. Handy, a one stop shop almost

But the old DVDs are dearer - used to be 5 for €5, now 3 for €5. Also Chartbusters is dead, which must help them.

I remember working in Zavvi in 2008 and the manager telling me they make 80% of their yearly sales at christmas. Other stores have to be the same.

But then again, Zavvi went under lol.
    All I know is you dont see many Xtra-Visions closing. Weather they are doing great business or not can be debated. But they are making enough to stay open.

But ... !
    look at chartbusters. They closed 17 of its stores in what seemed to be to stay afloat. They eventually went under. I knew a guy who worked in chartbusters. He said they made more money on tanning beds etc than rentals. But they still closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    The often the cheapest around for new and pre-owned games. Thats all I go in there for though.

not a chance they are, tesco and hmv are the cheapest

I only use them for renting out games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

LighterGuy wrote: »
    All I know is you dont see many Xtra-Visions closing.
    The one in Thomas Street, D8 closed a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They'll be gone for good as soon as a Netflix or Vudu similar service appears over here to stream movies direct. They should launch this themselves if they want to stay around, the clock is ticking.

netflix and vudu won't take off here unless we can get decent broadband to reach outside of dublin (by decent i mean at least 20meg's).
    whoopdedoo wrote: »
    I have it on good authority the internet revolution still hasn't arrived to bray

honestly, my other half's mates up there spend most of their spare cash on buying DVDs etc in their local xtravision

don't ask me!?!?

I still buy blu-rays in fairness, something nice about having the real deal and not some file that's out there on the cloud etc. but you're right about bray there's a lack of decent broadband (again 20 meg's and up) in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I go to one in ballincollig or bishopstown in cork most fridays and it is fairly busy. Its not like 10years ago though when alot of new release rentals would be sold out if they were good movies. If netflix ever comes to Ireland I will never go to xtravision again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I know a guy who works for XtraVision. Not as a shop clerk or branch manager, but in the upper management of the company. I asked him last week if the company has a limited life-span, what with downloading and streaming becoming the most popular way of watching movies. He told me that XtraVision's profits are huge. Like, huge in a way you'd think 'well, that cant be right!' And they're about to introduce a new way of working that'll change the company. I wouldn't write them off yet. I'd say they'd doing quite all right.

Nolanger wrote: »
    The one in Thomas Street, D8 closed a while back.

One out of many xtra vision stores isnt too bad :P

just read this from wikipedia.org
    In August 2009 Blockbuster (owner of xtra-vision) sold off its Irish operations to Birchhall Investments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtra-vision

Never knew they sold it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

rent all the new films.

How quaint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

netflix and vudu won't take off here unless we can get decent broadband to reach outside of dublin (by decent i mean at least 20meg's).

Although You may think its more, the average speed in the USA is under 4mbits

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement