Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubbing alone?

• 19-01-2011 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Squashie

I'm heading to Berlin in a week with a group of 9 friends and have kind of found myself in a bit of a dilemma as a result of there being such a large group of us.

One particular night, minimal and techno house heroes Format B and Superflu are to be playing sets along with (what I'm guessing will be) a funky house set by Sébastien Léger and not-so-notorious Marco Resmann. I couldn't have found a more perfect line-up for me in all the world right now! The only problem is, it's happening in one of Berlin's notoriously difficult-to-get-in-to exclusive nightclubs, and I just know that if I were to bring them, most (if not all of us), would be refused. I know from previous experience how difficult this particular club is to get into, especially if you're with a group, don't look like a typical Berlin clubber, and you can't speak German (none of them speak German.) They do intend on going clubbing, but not one of them even has any interest in real electronic music anyway (beyond that which is only commercially viable that is – your typical David Guetta and Deadmau5 garbage.)

I'm the type that tends to ditch all his friends and go mad on a dancefloor for hours alone anyway, so should I go alone? Would you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

If you are going to get into watergate

1: Get there as early as possible

2: Dont drink more than a few beers beforehand, theres nothing more the berliners hate than a loud drunk

3: Dress casually but not too hipster

4: Act relaxed when you go up to the bouncers, they can smell fear, act like you have been there many times before.

5: Speak a small bit of German if you can.

6: Dont go up in a group bigger than 2 maybe 3

7:Be prepared to wait in a que, the bouncers will be checking your behavior in this que to see if you will behave inside

Follow these steps and you will increase your chances of getting in immensely, but it is also not a guarantee. This is a general rule of most Berlin clubs. I managed to get in quite a few places using this technique whilst i was there.

Watergate was actually an exception to this rule, there was a massive queue so we got our german speaking friend to pretend that all 8 of us irish tourists were on the guestlist haha. I still to this day cannot believe that we got in! One of the best nights of my life by a mile, absolutely amazing club.

Actually a story I should tell while i was there, when we were in the outside section that is down by the river, we saw an approaching dingy filled with a few berliners with wrecked heads sailing towards us. They attempted to climb up onto the deck, the bouncers appeared and got rid of them. This was the only time i saw the bouncers in the club apart from when i was entering and leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Squashie

You don't answer my question! I know how things are over there and know how to get in myself, but there's not a hope in hell of getting that lot in! I can bang out a load of German on my own behalf, but not on behalf of nine others in addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Just go on your own then. If like most large groups of Irish lads, the average night will probably end up descending into a session of non-stop drinking abroad where nobody can really remember wht they got up to. You can have thise nights anywhere in the world. I wouldn't have any problems legging it off on my own - sure it's only one night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭brianc27

go on your own, its no big deal, if there was something on i really wanted to see and none of my mates are goin id have no problem going on my tod, think about it, how much time do you actually spend talking to mates when in clubs were theres something you think is deadly on, i cant stand chatting to people at good nights, im there to listen to the music, not have indept conversations with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Drop them. Why on earth would you want to go clubbing in Berlin with a bunch of tourists. Berlin at night is all about vanishing into the music, wherever that takes you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Go on your own. I found in general the Watergate crowd to be pretty friendly (bar the Italian posers). When I was there we got talking to a few people in the que and ended up spending the whole night hanging around with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Marvin Large Scapula

I went on my own to two clubs in Berlin as I was in Berlin by myself. I find the idea of heading to a club with 9 others a bit retarded to be honest. Also, chances are they'll all be polluted come 2am or so (given that the beer in berlin is far cheaper than Dublin).

Go there alone, if they get a drunken urge to follow you up, let them. Just make sure you're already in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Squashie wrote: »
    so should I go alone?

Yes.
    Squashie wrote: »
    Would you?

Plenty of times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

though he was on about Berghain myself, watergate is handy enough to get into!

• I went on my own to two clubs in Berlin as I was in Berlin by myself. I find the idea of heading to a club with 9 others a bit retarded to be honest. Also, chances are they'll all be polluted come 2am or so (given that the beer in berlin is far cheaper than Dublin).

Go there alone, if they get a drunken urge to follow you up, let them. Just make sure you're already in.

+1 go for it, used to pull similar stunts in Oz, always had cracking nights that would never have happened if i had not gone solo, might be wise to let one person know where your at though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

I go to places on my own but dublin is not so good for this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Marvin Large Scapula

I go to places on my own but dublin is not so good for this...
    Agreed, id only go out alone in Dublin for to see bands, as ive often done. I dont think id go to a techno gig or that on my own here for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jesmed

Of course go on yer own.....i'm the type who disappears for hours too so i know how ya feel.;)

Advertisement