Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Merlin Woods

• 20-01-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I am just seeking some local info, can any one please tell me what encompasses merlin woods and what the woods both sides of the rosshill road are called??..

I recall a reference to Aunteen & Uncleen woods in the past, can any one shed any light on this??

apologies about the question over load!!!

Thanks in advance guys n gals!!

MA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It rings a bell. The entrance to Merlin Woods is here afaik.
    I think the bigger forest area near the hospital is Merlin Park Woods.
    Someone else might know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Merlin Woods goes up along the left hand side of the road in Merlin Park Hospital.
    There is a small division in it; a road to a house that use to be an Alcoholics Treatment Place.

Uncleen Woods is on the right hand side as you come out of town towards Rosshill.

Aunteen Woods is on the opposite side of the road to Uncleen.

I don't know who owns either but City Council have built houses in Merlin Woods. There is a Castle there. Don't know who owns that. I am not sure do the HSE own any. Even if they did I think it is protected in a clause when the land was handed over to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Both Uncleen and Auntleen woods are on the right hand side of the MAIN road out of Galway.

When you turn off the main road after Galway Irish Crystal, and head on the local road towards the bottom of Ross Hill, Auntleen's is on the left and Uncleen's is on the right.

Can someone in the know point them out/circle them on a map for us?

I will if you tell me how to put a circle on a map and then upload the image on here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Drive past the Merlin hospital entrance, driving towards Oranmore.
    Go thru' the lights at Bodkins.
    There is a right turn between the lights at Bodkins and the next lights for the turn off down the coast road to Oranmore.
    This road is the Rosshill road, down there is Aunteen's & Uncleen's wood, can't remember which is which.
    The road splits the woods.

The wood on the left has a big crater in the middle, with a swing tied from an overhanging branch - well it did 20 years ago!!

It's the green shaded area here on the R338

Here's the entrance

kraggy wrote: »
    I will if you tell me how to put a circle on a map and then upload the image on here!

You can use wikimapia
    http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=53.2784557&lon=-8.9714098&z=15&l=0&m=b
    and click the "edit map" option, then click the outlines of the woods, name and save.
    It's a while since I used but I think that how you use it.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    There is a right turn between the lights at Bodkins and the next lights for the turn off down the coast road to Oranmore.
    This road is the Rosshill road, down there is Aunteen's & Uncleen's wood, can't remember which is which.

The wood on the left has a big crater in the middle, with a swing tied from an overhanging branch - well it did 20 years ago!!

Here's the entrance

Yeah, same as what I said. The one on the left with the crater is Auntleens, the one on the right is Uncleens (as you drive away from the main road toward the bottom of Ross Hill.

biko wrote: »
    You can use wikimapia
    and click the "edit map" option, then click the outlines of the woods, name and save.

Thanks biko, tried it but tis very awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

biko wrote: »
    You can use wikimapia
    I've done Uncleen and Aunteen. Someone else must have been working on it at the same time because the entrance to Aunteen is also now there as is Merlin Woods.

• Advertisement

Sound, screenshot here in case it gets altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The crater is interesting, but I wouldn't say its in the middle, more closer to the Dublin Rd side and to the east. Its allegedly from a shell from a British Navy ship in 1915 (sorry no link). I wonder, if thats true, WTF were they trying to hit ? There's a modern fence around it now, for the last couple of years. It's probably 25-30 ft deep and vaguely conical, maybe 40-50 ft across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The crater is interesting, but I wouldn't say its in the middle, more closer to the Dublin Rd side and to the east. Its allegedly from a shell from a British Navy ship in 1915 (sorry no link). I wonder, if thats true, WTF were they trying to hit ? There's a modern fence around it now, for the last couple of years. It's probably 25-30 ft deep and vaguely conical, maybe 40-50 ft across.

Is that what caused that crater bonzodog, that's amazing !, often wondered what the hell it was when passing by. Love the woods btw for walking or cycling, usually nice and quiet and have it all to yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've seen a City Council document (District plan, perhaps .. anyways I don't have a link, sorry) that says that Roscam Woods is the official name for the woodlands on the right side of the Dublin Rd as you leave town, just after Galway Crystal.

It said that these are unofficially locally known as Aunteen and Uncleen woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I've done Uncleen and Aunteen. Someone else must have been working on it at the same time because the entrance to Aunteen is also now there as is Merlin Woods.

Hehe!! 'twas me. I did the entrance only!!!
    Only Uncleen's was marked out when I hit the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

JustMary wrote: »
    I've seen a City Council document (District plan, perhaps .. anyways I don't have a link, sorry) that says that Roscam Woods is the official name for the woodlands on the right side of the Dublin Rd as you leave town, just after Galway Crystal.

It said that these are unofficially locally known as Aunteen and Uncleen woods.
    That area is known as Rosshill and always has been. Some of the blowins into Rosshill thought the name was a bit too common and started to call it Roscam. Gobsh1tes

Maybe they just got sick of people being confused between it and Roscahill.

(No, I'm not one of 'em. Just quoting what the council .doc said)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

The 'crater' is marked on the 25" map [1888-1913] as a "cave"
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,534416,725265,7,9

It's not marked at all on the 6" map [1829-1842]

The woods are in the townland of Merlin Park, near the boundary with the townland of Roscam.

The cave is mentioned in Galway City Development Plan 2011-2017
    It is described there in a table of 'other features of local importance' as "Cave, Merlin Park: A cave in limestone, near railway bridge".

I can find no other reference to it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That area is known as Rosshill and always has been. Some of the blowins into Rosshill thought the name was a bit too common and started to call it Roscam. Gobsh1tes

Ah now. I know someone who's lived there their whole lives and they say that the area was always Roscam and the road was called the Rosshill Road. People started calling the area Rosshill when the Rosshill golf course was there. Besides Roscam is a proper logainm, it's not related to Ross house.

Das_kitty - yes, I knew this place as Roscam in the 80s too.

With regard to Uncleen's and Anteen's

I knew the name Uncleens since I was very small, and associated it with the wooded area on the south side of the road.
    I heard the name Anteens a few years later, and associated it with the larger wooded area on the north side of the road.

I suspected strongly at the time that Anteen's was a somewhat joke-y name for the area across from Uncleen's.

Now looking back, I feel certain that one is a play-on-words on the the other. Hard to say which one though.

I can find nothing on logainm.ie matching either name,
    Nothing on places.galwaylibrary.ie matching either name.

One possible explanation is that the land was owned by a man named Aintnín, probably in living memory.

Another possibility is that Uncleen is a corruption of a something to do with uaimh [cavern] - like Ungury cave in Kilcolgan.

Occam's razor favours the first - though the 2nd would be much more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Ah now. I know someone who's lived there their whole lives and they say that the area was always Roscam and the road was called the Rosshill Road. People started calling the area Rosshill when the Rosshill golf course was there. Besides Roscam is a proper logainm, it's not related to Ross house.
    I grew up there, and my parents and grandparents have lived all their lives there. Although it is in the townland of Roscam the area has always been known as Rosshill.

The Golf course only opened twenty years ago or there abouts and it was called Rosshill Golf course because it is in Rosshill. The only reference to Roscam I ever heard growing up was in relation to Roscam Park which is an estate beside the level crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

DeadSkin wrote: »

Here's the entrance

Jeez I remember that crater ........ you're bringing me back to my youth !!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Sorry if this is a dumb question but...is there a path/walkway/circuit through the woods, as indicated with the entrance above? Or I suppose more specifically, are members of the public allowed in there? Am curious, live in Roscam and only just noticed the entrance the other week :) Might be nice place to walk the doggie

lamps

yes - nice gravel paths, good spot for walking the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

yaledo wrote: »
    yes - nice gravel paths, good spot for walking the dog.

well, ish. It's very quiet and not particularly nice if you come across gangs of lads. I wouldn't go there on my own. There's thick forest either side and (obviously) no traffic.

While I'm rather baffled as to why they want to split the park wtih a bus lane, I do think that having a bus lane through the woods will make ti far safer and more useable.

The bus lane is planned for Merlin Woods, not Aunteen and Uncleen Woods.

There's nothing pleasant about walking in woods accompanied by the roar of buses. While a bus lane might solve some safety issues, it will raise others - including use by boy-racer types at night. And it would have a very negative effect on public transport in Roscam (which has 1/3 of the area's houses), too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Polka

bonzodog2 wrote: »

The crater is the wrong shape to be caused by an explosion above ground, and mapping evidence above suggests it was there before 1913, but I did just find this, which says that galway was indeed targeted by a navy ship:

http://http://www.hmforces.co.uk/Join_The_Forces/articles/1422-hms-gloucester-type-42-destroyer
    The ninth HMS Gloucester was a Town Class Light Cruiser launched in 1909. During WWI she saw action in the Mediterranean and at the Battle of Jutland. She was also deployed to the west coast of Ireland in April 1916 where she engaged targets around Galway during the Easter Rising. Gloucester was scrapped in May 1921.

And this: from Thomas Hynes' witness statement from Bureau of Military History Collection, describing activity in Galway around the Easter Rising...
    George Nicolls, Tommy flanagan, Johnny Faller, Seamus Carter, Frank Hardiman, Pardraic O Maille and Professor Steingeberger, U.C.G. (Professor Steingeberger was a German Professor of Languages) - they were bundled off to a destroyer in Galway Bay somewhere near the Lighthouse. (It was the same ship that shelled Castlegar from the Bay)

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I'd imagined it, or even googled it while dreaming !

• Advertisement

Polka wrote: »

You'll find them easily enough, on the north side of the site, just west of a hedged/fenced are with a polytunnel inside. Its to the rear of the imaging centre.

This google earth link at roughly centre screen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement