Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best aerial , Mt. Leinster

Options
  • 13-01-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

What would be the best aerial to get for DTT and analogue reception from the Mt.Leinster mast??

Any help would be welcome

Comments

A group B unix 52

Where are you located? It won't work in Tokyo or sheffield for instance..
    (Always say where you are when you make an aerial request)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Slates

A group B unix 52

Where are you located? It won't work in Tokyo or sheffield for instance..
    (Always say where you are when you make an aerial request)

North Kilkenny, direct line of sight to the mast.

unix as above then will do the job.
    Mount it outside on a gable end with that line of sight or on a chimney for best results.
    You won't need an amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

Any recommendations for on-line suppliers of this aerial (and other above-contract grade aerials)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Unix 52 is overkill if you've line of sight. Especially with much of north Kilkenny up on a height. I'd try with a contract Group B first.

• Advertisement

I can point to many posts here with reception problems with a line of sight to mt leinster such is the disaster of their need to keep power low due to preseli wales.
    unix 52 is most certainly not overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Unix 52 is overkill if you've line of sight. Especially with much of north Kilkenny up on a height. I'd try with a contract Group B first.

Overkill I would agree with.

Infact the OP wants both an aerial that does analogue and DTT - thats one aerial that does Group A and B combined. If thats the case he really should be looking at a Wideband especially with line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Slates

STB wrote: »
    Overkill I would agree with.

Infact the OP wants both an aerial that does analogue and DTT - thats one aerial that does Group A and B combined. If thats the case he really should be looking at a Wideband especially with line of sight.

What aerial would you suggest ?

Ah for heavens sake,you definitely won't need a wideband for uhf analogue from mt leinster if you have line of sight.
    A group B with line of sight will have no problem with the uhf analogues for the short time that they will remain on air.
    Up in wicklow a group B pointed the wrong way gets them fine.
    In fact I don't have a line of sight and get good tv3 and tg4 mt leinster with a grid vertically polarised pointed at Arklow with no amp.

Tv3 and TG4 mt leinster are very very strong unlike dtt from there.

I can point to many posts here with reception problems with a line of sight to mt leinster such is the disaster of their need to keep power low due to preseli wales.
    unix 52 is most certainly not overkill.
    Find me a post that says they've got problems with Welsh interference from the Castlecomer Plateau or anywhere in north Kilkenny. It's nonsense to say that a welsh signal from over 100 miles away, 40 or so of which is over land, will override a signal from a main transmitter that is 10-20 miles away, the very hills on which Mt. Leinster stands blocking any signal from Wales too. Tropospheric ducting will happen irrespective of aerial type. North Kilkenny has variable terrain but if the OP has line of sight, there will be no point in using a Unix 52 and the extra wind loading and stronger poles etc to use such an aerial.

The group B contract will perform pretty much as well as a wideband on Group A, perhaps not so much on Ch 23 and 26 though. A cheap log periodic like the one on http://cpcireland.farnell.com/ might also be a good option.

As far as signal strength goes, sooner or later powers on all the main sites are being increased. I don't think there is much point on splashing out on what is a temporary problem for those away from Welsh interference.

• Advertisement

Find me a post that says they've got problems with Welsh interference from the Castlecomer Plateau or anywhere in north Kilkenny. It's nonsense to say that a welsh signal from over 100 miles away, 40 or so of which is over land, will override a signal from a main transmitter that is 10-20 miles away, the very hills on which Mt. Leinster stands blocking any signal from Wales too. Tropospheric ducting will happen irrespective of aerial type. North Kilkenny has variable terrain but if the OP has line of sight, there will be no point in using a Unix 52 and the extra wind loading and stronger poles etc to use such an aerial.

The group B contract will perform pretty much as well as a wideband on Group A, perhaps not so much on Ch 23 and 26 though. A cheap log periodic like the one on http://cpcireland.farnell.com/ might also be a good option.

As far as signal strength goes, sooner or later powers on all the main sites are being increased. I don't think there is much point on splashing out on what is a temporary problem for those away from Welsh interference.
    I didn't say the problem was welsh interference in this case,theres a recent post reporting bad reception in south kilkenny in the sticky thread.
    I said the problem was lower power on ch 45 because they don't want to cause interference in wales.

Also what are we talking about here,at most €30 or €40 for a sturdy aerial as opposed to a piece of tin that the contract is.
    If Slates wants cheaper,a grid can be got for less than that.
    Both are far better than a contract.

Theres no need for a long debate about it.

Indeed there's no need for a debate, the Unix 52 is overkill and it is as simple as that for this particular case. Also, I've seen more than a few Unix 52s with missing X elements around places like Swords and Dundalk where they seem to be popular. That could be installer-caused I suppose. Finally grid aerials and Unix 52s have similar wind loadings and having an aerial that needs extra support and/or puts extra stress on a chimney shouldn't be used unless necessary. A contract fitted with a dipole and good cabling can last a long time, some contracts appear to be much better than others from what I can see on some of the online shops.

You can for heavens sake all you want. RTE's recommendation for combined analogue and dtt reception is clear for Mt Leinster, Spur Hill and Three Rock.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116205&stc=1&d=1275872247

Is this the same RTE that recommended group A's for mt leinster up untill recently?
    I would ignore their advice to be honest and go with whats practical.
    A wide band will only ever be needed after digital switch over at mt leinster if theres commercial dtt which is why they are recomending wideband.
    We both know that isn't going to happen ever because with the proliferation of fta satelite,theres noone going to pay a subscription for it.
    Theres plenty of posts on that here,just ask watty.

@ To be confirmed.I've never seen wind loading on a unix 52 to be a problem.
    You could have a swarm of crows nearby alright I suppose but again,I'd rather they sat on something sturdier than a contract aerial.
    Saying a grid aerial [which can sit on a thin 3 ft pole] puts stress on a chimney is nonsense frankly.
    Theres hundreds of them round me for decades and I've not seen a chimney fall yet.
    I'd rather you wouldn't invent problems that don't exist with all due respect.

@slates

Before stb gets heart failure,I'll recommend a grid aerial for you.
    They are cheap and cheerfull,sturdy and cover all bases..even bases you'll never need to cover in my opinion.
    The unix 52 is what I'd put in myself there.

RTE's recommendation on what to use is per that sheet which has being doing the rounds for over a year. It clearly recommends A for Analogue only and B for DTT only, Wideband for both combined.

Look Black Briar with all due respect to amateur hobbyists, Channel 23 and 26 analogue and Channel 45 DTT in one combined aerial is best served by a wideband aerial, not an A, not a B group aerial as stuff will be out of band otherwise.

You dont have to be an aerial hobbyist or a telecommunications engineer to work that out.

Lets get people putting up the right gear and stop with the bickering.

Given that analogue is going off at the end of next year,I wouldn't bother getting an aerial for it especially now when all channels are on saorview though and besides,you won't lose analogue tv3 and tg4 with a group B,it won't be as good as on an A but it will be perfectly fine.
    RTE's recommendation is out of date given there won't be any services to merit using the group A frequencies after analogue switch off.
    In that regard recommending a wideband [although I accept the irony that one of my solutions,the grid is a wideband] over a group B is similar to recommending a VHF aerial is added too...it's unnecessary if Slates has everything they want on saorview.

I'm not bickering,I'm just disagree'ing with you and explaining why so lets agree to disagree if a reasonable discussion is not possible.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Indeed a Unix 52 will be an overkill for the OP. Given his location and his direct line of sight to the Mast all he needs is a Wideband.
    It's happening a lot lately on these threads with amateur hobbyists who are not on the road day to day or on chimneys installing Aerial's and Satellite dishes. All they are doing is knocking any proper advise that's being given to people from installers who post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Right lads, enough!

OP, if you have any further questions - don't be afraid to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I have a good class 2 wide band aerial which at the moment is picking up Wales Freeview. In the past I had it pointed at Mt Lenister and could get Channel 39 with low signal and quality approx 20%. When it moved to Ch 45 I could not get Mt Lenister due to Co channel inteference.

Question ?
    Would it be worth trying a Unix 52

Gorey may also be an option approx 11km as the crow travels (no luck with wideband)

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Question ?
    Would it be worth trying a Unix 52

Gorey may also be an option approx 11km as the crow travels (no luck with wideband)

Thanks

To answer that question and the problem you are having in Camolin would be to ask your local installer's.
    Noel Bergin or Aidan Doyle both based in Camolin area.

• Advertisement

Your problem with mt leinster is different friendo in that you are in a strong preseli area so will always lose mt leinster during skips regardless of what aerial you use and won't get it at all combining with a welsh aerial

You need a line of sight towards the cemetary in Gorey,near tesco.

The arklow tx works out as far as coolgreaney to it's west that I know of but also gets through high ground to there so these low power tx's may be stronger than people think.

Can you see forth mtn at all? I'm sending you a pm

Thanks BB,
    No I cant see Forth at all. Living in the Shrule/Ballyduff area shadowed by hill west, north/west and south.

Ah I can picture your difficulty now.
    You could do with a very good aerial installer with a meter who would try all out for you.

Saorsat isn't untill next may at the earliest.

scaller wrote: »
    To answer that question and the problem you are having in Camolin would be to ask your local installer's.
    Noel Bergin or Aidan Doyle both based in Camolin area.

That wideband aerial.

Do you have it pointing the right way ? You have it pointing at Wales dont you ?

Mt Leinster (45H)
    Gorey (Ch55H)
    Forth Mountain (Ch52V)

Move your aerial position to either Mt Leinster. In Camolin this should not be an issue - Mt Leinster is first choice, then Gorey.

That wideband aerial.

Do you have it pointing the right way ? You have it pointing at Wales dont you ?

Mt Leinster (45H)
    Gorey (Ch55H)
    Forth Mountain (Ch52V)

Move your aerial position to either Mt Leinster. In Camolin this should not be an issue - Mt Leinster is first choice, then Gorey.

Pointing at Wales now.
    When I point the aerial to Mt Lenister (45H) I get nothing.
    Will try both Gorey 55H and Forth 52V again in morning (map and compass reference), I think it will be a long shot.

Not living in Camolin and none of my neighbours are getting Irish Dtt.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

As for recommendations of where to buy, I've used CPC in the past and found them to be cheap and fast.

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=411+1000646+500002&isGoback=false

No luck with Gorey, Forth or Mt Lenister.
    However even with the aerial lying on the ground it was still bringing in good Wales freeview.

Sorry about delay in getting back (bad weather and shift work).

Do you mind me asking where you are then ?

Are you on the coast ? Blackwater ?

Do you mind me asking where you are then ?

Are you on the coast ? Blackwater ?

Living in Shrule/Ballyduff area, shadowed by Sliabh Bui.
    Presently served by Monasootagh Relay which will be decommissioned in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Don't know that part of the country too well but looking at a map, Forth Mountain seems to have the clearest signal path.
    I don't know what power it uses though, or how it would fare over the 24 odd miles to your location.

Advertisement