Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best aerial , Mt. Leinster

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Living in Shrule/Ballyduff area, shadowed by Sliabh Bui.
    Presently served by Monasootagh Relay which will be decommissioned in 2012.

Well the fact that you are using the Monasootagh Relay for analogue which is a small fill in, then its definitely Forth Mountain Channel 52 Aerial pointing South with vertical polarisation for DTT.

24 miles does seem an awfull long way for forth,but if you can get it,it would be the dogs bollix as you could have saorview and freeview all on one epg if you get a group B or a cd aerial for forth.
    Thats basically the multiroom I have except using the arklow tx for saorview.
    In this case you'd want a pretty good 2nd aerial.
    I'd imagine Mylie is your man to test that out for you.
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Picked up Forth today with the aid of a meter.:)
    Thanks for all your help (BB, STB and all others)

Signal a bit low but picture and sound working loud and clear today (saorview).
    Wales freeview also coming in on a smaller aerial.
    Fingers crossed all works out.

Thanks again for your help.

Per Mpeg4Ireland site I'm approx 40km/25 miles, 192 degrees SSW to Forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Can somebody tell me if the transmitter on Forth Mountain transmitts to an area 360 degrees around it or is it only to the south of forth mountain. I know someone who is having difficulty picking up Saorview in the Ferrycarrig area at the moment and I was wondering if that is the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The Saorview coverage map shows that area as being covered by Forth.

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    The Saorview coverage map shows that area as being covered by Forth.
    The maps show me where the transmitters are. However if I click on a location north of Forth Mountain it recommends mount Leinster and if I click south of the mountain it recommends Forth Mountain. This is what make me think the transmitter is only transmitting 180 degrees rather that 360 degrees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

If I type "Ferrycarrig, Wexford" into the coverage map search bar it gives me a location to the NE of Forth & NW of Wexford town. Moving the location icon will find spots where Forth is the recommended site & some where Mt. Leinster is, within a small area.

If you're having trouble with one, try the other but you'll have to wait until next October for Mt. Leinster's Welsh interference problem to be sorted out.

Thanks.
    It may be down to Welsh interferance. I'll check it out a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

wextipp wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me if the transmitter on Forth Mountain transmitts to an area 360 degrees around it or is it only to the south of forth mountain. I know someone who is having difficulty picking up Saorview in the Ferrycarrig area at the moment and I was wondering if that is the issue.

I live North of Forth Mountain. As I said in previous post, I live approx 40km from Forth, Forth would be approx 192 degrees from my loction.
    You would have to put your UHF aerial vertical and you may need to change to a wideband aerial if you do not already have one.
    Going to Forth should eliminate any inteference from Wales as Forth is on 52V. Combining Wales and Forth may be a problem for some.

I find the Saorview map has changed, in the past Forth coverage would be recommended for my location, now it only recommends Mth Lenister leaving my location in white.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I live North of Forth Mountain. I live approx 40km from Forth.
    Ok, that confirms then that Forth Mtn is broadcasting in that direction as well. The interactive map confused me a bit when it was suggesting using Mnt Leinster for all points north of Forth Mth even if the point was closer to Forth Mtn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Ferrycarrig is too low down for Forth Mountain.

I am not a million miles away. Mt Leinster on Ch 45.

Pointing your aerial towards Wales will cause you problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

wextipp wrote: »
    Forth Mountain being received with a loft aerial in Ballymurn, in an effort to deal with co-channel interference, and mixed with the other mux's from Preselli.
    After a.s.o interference won't be a problem and the loft aerial probably removed.

Advertisement