Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cedar Fascia & Soffit

• 12-01-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Lads/Ladies

Im building a house at the minute and will hopefully be fitting the fascia and soffit in March. I was thinking of going with a micro-porus painted finish on Iroko but was also considering Canadian Red Cedar until I saw a local job that had used Cedar but the workmanship was really poor + the cedar itself only looked fair. Ive often seen cedar fascias on tv and they look great so I must do another bit of research!

Have any of ye used the Canadian Red Cedar on your homes, any photos advice available? Had it a factory coated stained finish or clear coat finish? How often do ye maintain it and what product do ye use? How big are the joints from expansion/contraction after a couple of years - are they noticable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The point of using cedar is that it doesn't require a finish. It naturally is suitable for use outdoors, it will however fase and grey. This is generally the idea.

If you are planning of painting or staining (and maintaining), then there is no need to go for cedar.

In the example you seen, the poor worksmanship is nothing to do with the timber used.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CelicaGT

Thanks Mellor, straight to the point - I like it! Its only that I have seen companies advertising factory coated finishes for cedar to keep it looking new, which do look good but once you have these finishes applied you always have to maintain them otherwise they degrade and look poor.

Im looking for something maintenance free or maintenance once every 10 years and want to see what other timber alternatives I have to my first preference which is a micro-porus painted finish on Iroko so as to give me a bit of choice! I'll rephrase the question as follows:

Have any of ye used the Canadian Red Cedar on your homes without finishes applied to it, any photos available after a couple of years? How big are the joints from expansion/contraction after a couple of years - are they noticable? All advice welcome & thanks for the valid points Mellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just my 0.02, but a few of our clients have either fitted it, in whole or in part, to structure's we've put up. If I'm honest, I don't think it works, here. Maybe in a dryer climate it would age more gracefully, but I think the 'silvering' aging that it does, looks well.....unkempt. Maybe that's what you saw: it might just have been the way cedar goes.........

Here's two pics of cedar, and can make your own mind up:

1. Untreated. Fitted April 2009, pic taken Nov 2010.

2. Treated/stained/coated. Fitted October 2008, pic taken Nov 2010

There's another well-known example people in Dublin might be better able to identify. It's a 3 or 4 storey apartment block, built on the corner of a busy intersection, in from the Long Mile Road / Crumlin Road. It could well be just me, but I think it looks .......mmm......ymmv and all that !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Hey galwaytt, thanks for the info and your experience with same. Yep, any of the buildings I have seen with cedar fascias/cladding only look ok. I have yet to find one I like. They all look good new but as time goes by....hmmm....dissapointing unless they are maintained and I have enough things to maintain!

I guess it will be the micro-porus painted finish on Iroko for me then, I am happy with this but I was looking to see if there was other timber options out there that require very little maintenance and that also look good

Thanks for the pics galwaytt - but they do not seem to be visible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

hey galwaytt
    your pics dont work.

The supervalue complex in sallins was clad in ceder wood. Tonnes of the stuff.

4 years later . It looks terrible to be honest. really worn. Like rot has set in. I lick of paint would look better IMO

I have built timber soffits out of top grade marine ply , Primed with aluminum primers and finished with good quality paint.

8 years later it all still looks new.

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    hey galwaytt
    your pics dont work.

The supervalue complex in sallins was clad in ceder wood. Tonnes of the stuff.

4 years later . It looks terrible to be honest. really worn. Like rot has set in. I lick of paint would look better IMO

I have built timber soffits out of top grade marine ply , Primed with aluminum primers and finished with good quality paint.

8 years later it all still looks new.

Dunno what happened there - had them as attachments as well - I'll edit in the a.m., as they're not on this laptop.......sorry about that.......

The issue with marine ply is that it delaminates - it is not waterproof, only water resistant, and nothing at all on cut lines.

OP, have you considered some like Trespa or other wood-look manmade product ?

I have a good pic in the office of a Centra done in another timber-look cementitious product (a Tegral product) - I'll get that in the a.m. as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Dunno what happened there - had them as attachments as well - I'll edit in the a.m., as they're not on this laptop.......sorry about that.......

The issue with marine ply is that it delaminates - it is not waterproof, only water resistant, and nothing at all on cut lines.

I have a good pic in the office of a Centra done in another timber-look cementitious product (a Tegral product) - I'll get that in the a.m. as well.

i do agree about the issue with the ply. But the system of priming and painting on the ground got over this. That and 50 euro a sheet marine.
    All parts where set on tressles and primed all over back and front before fitting. Sealing them with the aluminum paint. This stuff lasts for ever and has a thick skin. Two coats. then multiple coats of paint when fitted.
    It worked well.

But you have to weigh up the cost of all that painting against the price of the ceder .

TBH . I dont think any timber will last a lifetime exposed up on a roof.

PVC ...

Quick - one - can ye see the pic's now (I can) ?

Ode To The Motorist

Quick - one - can ye see the pic's now (I can) ?

no. just see little boxes.

use a photo host website like imageshack.us or pix.ie. upload and copy the code. paste on the forum. picture comes up

like this

beardu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

I used cedar cladding on my extension last year, it got two coats of UV oil.
    http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/prod/osmo_uv_protection_oil_extra.html
    This needs to be applied every 2/3 years. Personally I love the silver look of cedar so it wont be getting any further protection.
    17Sept09014.jpg
    Before/After
    20273_342119308942_529583942_494031.jpg
    Finished Product

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    no. just see little boxes.

use a photo host website like imageshack.us or pix.ie. upload and copy the code. paste on the forum. picture comes up

like this

beardu.jpg

I did. I am !.......mmm, I had 3 attachments on the post yesterday - let's try again !....

Ode To The Motorist

And, here's the man-made Tegral product.

143288.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

And, here's the man-made Tegral product.

143288.jpg

Hey lads, thanks for all the info. & photos, very helpful.

As regards the soffit I was going to be using a top grade marine ply with vents to meet the building regs, thanks for the advice gsxr1 (nice pic also by the way!) but first I will look at those timber-look products that you mention galwaytt. I did look at a new timber composite material for the fascia last Nov on the net but then found out that it was unavalible in Ireland + I suppose I would like to use a product that is tried and tested. What fascia and soffit were used on the 3 photos you attached showing the cedar cladding, galwaytt? looks quiet decent from a distance!

That Tegral Product looks interesting, I must get some samples + info on price/m! Thanks galwaytt

The cedar on your extension looks well Currahee01 but maintenance would be too much of an issue for me - thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Currahee01 wrote: »
    I used cedar cladding on my extension last year, it got two coats of UV oil.

This needs to be applied every 2/3 years. Personally I love the silver look of cedar so it wont be getting any further protection.
    Won't this oil, as long as its reapplied, prevent it aging to the silver colour?
    Not sure if you are planning of leaving it to go silver, or maintaining it as is
    I did. I am !.......mmm, I had 3 attachments on the post yesterday - let's try again !....
    Just to have them on thread;

143285.jpg

143286.jpg

143287.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

Mellor wrote: »
    Won't this oil, as long as its reapplied, prevent it aging to the silver colour?
    Not sure if you are planning of leaving it to go silver, or maintaining it as is

Yes, I'm not giving it any further protection so it will eventually turn silver

Hey Galwaytt, I like the look of the simple bargeboard details on the photos you attached. Im just now getting around to looking into the info you posted on Tegral & Trespa, interesting stuff.... I now think I will be veering towards a pvc or cedar soffit but I must first decide on the fascia and bargeboard and also look at costs!

As regards the the Tegral Product (in your experience!), given that its porus - do you seal this product to prevent degradation of the softwood timbers in the roof beneath? Whats its fade resistance like?

I must also look at the timber effect trespa products or other products that have a matt black finish that would not look too plasticy and without having those plastic trims at the corners/joints. There must be some uPVC products out there that do this?

CelicaGT wrote: »
    Hey Galwaytt, I like the look of the simple bargeboard details on the photos you attached. Im just now getting around to looking into the info you posted on Tegral & Trespa, interesting stuff.... I now think I will be veering towards a pvc or cedar soffit but I must first decide on the fascia and bargeboard and also look at costs!

As regards the the Tegral Product (in your experience!), given that its porus - do you seal this product to prevent degradation of the softwood timbers in the roof beneath? Whats its fade resistance like?

I must also look at the timber effect trespa products or other products that have a matt black finish that would not look too plasticy and without having those plastic trims at the corners/joints. There must be some uPVC products out there that do this?

It's not porous. I'm fitting it to my garage atmo.........

For roof: didn't use cut roof's or trusses. PM me and I'll send you a detail.

Ode To The Motorist

It's not porous. I'm fitting it to my garage atmo.........

For roof: didn't use cut roof's or trusses. PM me and I'll send you a detail.

I had a lad from Tegral around and was impressed with the unpainted 99% waterproof board (different versions available) for external use where the fixings can be countersunk and hidden. He had a large range of options and the boards can be prefinished to your required colour/texture but I will apply the finish to the board myself as it gives me more options for detailing. That's it, I reckon I have decided upon the Fascia, Soffit & Bargeboard! Thanks for all the info Galwaytt

From reading the technical info on the Tegral product I reckon you need those UV-resistant PVC ventilation profiles at each screw location so as to provide adequate ventilation behind the board, this also gives me reassurance that if any water passes though the board it will not effect my treated softwood timbers beneath. System seems to be waterproof but not the board itself, I still like the look of this product - I'll let ye know how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maharg11

Hi Celia,
    There is a compant called freefoam plastics who supply and fit PVC Fascia and Soffit, ive had them work on my house, and was more than happy with there prices and good work.. there number is 01-8712882
    CelicaGT wrote: »
    Hi Lads/Ladies

Im building a house at the minute and will hopefully be fitting the fascia and soffit in March. I was thinking of going with a micro-porus painted finish on Iroko but was also considering Canadian Red Cedar until I saw a local job that had used Cedar but the workmanship was really poor + the cedar itself only looked fair. Ive often seen cedar fascias on tv and they look great so I must do another bit of research!

Have any of ye used the Canadian Red Cedar on your homes, any photos advice available? Had it a factory coated stained finish or clear coat finish? How often do ye maintain it and what product do ye use? How big are the joints from expansion/contraction after a couple of years - are they noticable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maharg11

Freefoam supply and fit cedar wood fascia and soffit

Have any of ye used the Canadian Red Cedar on your homes, any photos advice available? Had it a factory coated stained finish or clear coat finish? How often do ye maintain it and what product do ye use? How big are the joints from expansion/contraction after a couple of years - are they noticable?[/QUOTE]

So as to update this post, Accoya (300mm x 18mm & 250mm x 18mm approx) was eventually chosen for the Barge Boards and Fascia fixed with countersunk stainless steel screws which were plugged. I never liked plastic, hence me trying everything to try and avoid it from the beginning. It was a couple of years before I got around to doing this work as the project was stalled for a while, Accoya was probably not available when this post was originally written up. At the time I got a local joiner to plain the raw Accoya down and create a simple mould on it and I'm happy with the results.

Advertisement