Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tackling Verbs

• 06-04-2010 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Have avoided doing this up until now!

Has anyone any advice or tips for learning the verbs?

I am starting with the Christian Brothers Grammar Book (the light blue one) as it is very concise and gives good summaries and then I'll look at what Mac Congail and Mac Murchaidh have, but is there any way I can approach it to make it less nasty/easier, etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Use WinGléacht. It's an electronic version of the most comprehensive Irish dictionary, Foclóir Uí Dhónaill. With WinGléacht, you can see every form of every verb in all tenses and moods.

Gramadach gan Stró would be a great book for doing exercises from, and explains most grammar in easy to understand language.

Most importantly of all, don't be afraid to make mistakes!

Go n-éirí leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Must get the Wingléacht so Micilín, of all things the verbs keep letting me down here and there so it's about time I just learned them.
    Is it the same version of Wingléacht that you get for your mobile phone that you can get for your computer?

Today I saw this in Christian Brothers:

The future tense is used to express future time after nuair:

nuair a thiocfaidh tú amárach (when you come tomorrow)
    nuair a thiocfaidh an bus (when the bus comes)
    nuair a rachaidh tú isteach (when you go in)

Would this be the case in speech also?

I just came across this after doing a google search:
    http://www.seai.ie/Schools/Primary_Schools/Resources_Available/Acmhainn_Fuinnimh_in_Eirinn/An_timpeallacht/

"nuair a úsáideann muid fuinneamh"

So it's still possible to use the present habitual tense after nuair?

pog it wrote: »
    Is it the same version of Wingléacht that you get for your mobile phone that you can get for your computer?

I haven't seen the mobile version. Are you talking about Get The Focal? I have the first version of Get The Focal and it is not the same as WinGléacht. It gives me no grammatical information like WinGléacht.

The future tense is used to express future time after nuair:

nuair a thiocfaidh tú amárach (when you come tomorrow)
    nuair a thiocfaidh an bus (when the bus comes)
    nuair a rachaidh tú isteach (when you go in)

Would this be the case in speech also?

I have never seen that rule before, and I have never heard anybody say "nuair a rachaidh tú isteach" when they are indicating "when you go in". "Nuair a théann tú isteach" is what I would say!

The electronic version of Graiméar na mBráithre Críostaí (page 181) says:
    Is í an aimsir fháistineach a léiríonn am fáistineach (ach amháin ar lorg má): nuair a thiocfaidh tú amárach (Béarla: when you come tomorrow); bí cinnte go ndéanfaidh tú staidéar ar an leabhrán (Béarla: be certain to study the booklet); aon duine a dhéanfaidh fiach ar ainmhithe fiáine feasta (Béarla: henceforth any person who hunts wild animals).

I just came across this after doing a google search:
    http://www.seai.ie/Schools/Primary_Schools/Resources_Available/Acmhainn_Fuinnimh_in_Eirinn/An_timpeallacht/

"nuair a úsáideann muid fuinneamh"

So it's still possible to use the present habitual tense after nuair?

It is, and it's more common to use the present habitual than the future after 'nuair'.

Cool, I understand this now I think. So if we are saying we do something habitually like 'nuair a úsáideann' then the present habitual stands.

But if it's 'future time' you can use the future tense, even though in the English it is present tense. Your other examples from Christian Brothers are better again at showing the difference here actually.

It seems you've got it! Have a look at 'má' too and how the future tense is rarely used with má.

• Advertisement

It seems you've got it! Have a look at 'má' too and how the future tense is rarely used with má.

Go bhfóire Dia orm! :D

Ah no, I saw how it is "má chaithim imeacht anois" but "caithfidh mé imeacht anois"

Strange how má resists the future tense like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

the green book of verbs is best - since it is just verbs and does that very well and is very comprehensive.

the green book of verbs is best - since it is just verbs and does that very well and is very comprehensive.

It's a good reference book alright conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

its all you need to learn the verbs - fiver in any second hand school shop.

its all you need to learn the verbs - fiver in any second hand school shop.

What green book of verbs do you mean? Sorry I think we are thinking of different ones.

I thought you meant the Big Book of Verbs (Green as well!), 'Leabhar mór Bhriathra na Gaeilge'
    http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=5338

It has all the conjugations for the verbs for the different dialects and the caighdeán. Doesn't have any learning stuff in it but it's an unbelievable reference book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

What green book of verbs do you mean? Sorry I think we are thinking of different ones.

I thought you meant the Big Book of Verbs (Green as well!), 'Leabhar mór Bhriathra na Gaeilge'

It has all the conjugations for the verbs for the different dialects and the caighdeán. Doesn't have any learning stuff in it but it's an unbelievable reference book!

Great deal on this book on litriocht.com at the moment. Down from €42 to €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Hi

There is some great info' in these posts re; guides etc.

I am a complete beginner and will find some of these sources really useful.

There is however one thing which I have not found and wonder if anyone has any suggestions. I have not found anything to help me with pronunciation from the written word. This is one of the most difficult things I find. Does anyone know of any guides that concentrate on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

There is some great info' in these posts re; guides etc.

I am a complete beginner and will find some of these sources really useful.

There is however one thing which I have not found and wonder if anyone has any suggestions. I have not found anything to help me with pronunciation from the written word. This is one of the most difficult things I find. Does anyone know of any guides that concentrate on this ?
    The relation between spelling and pronunciation is very logical in Irish. I would recommend Learning Irish by Michael Ó Siadhail Appendix I.
    The most basic fact to learn first is that Irish has two versions of every consonant, slender and broad and the spelling is often not what you might expect because of this. Maybe my post here will help: Irish Consonants

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Thanks Enkidu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I have a list of verbs on a door chart. They are all fully conjugated. I have a peer over it every now and again. I find the best way to learn verbs is by making sure you continue to use them and practice new verbs all the time, or they will fall out of use and you'll forget to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

dlofnep wrote: »
    I have a list of verbs on a door chart. They are all fully conjugated. I have a peer over it every now and again. I find the best way to learn verbs is by making sure you continue to use them and practice new verbs all the time, or they will fall out of use and you'll forget to use them.

I know this is dragging up an old post but would you happen to remember where you got that door chart? I'm looking for an A2 size verb chart if possible, I'm hoping it would be fairly comprehensive though.

Edit: I should say I need to to help a higher level Leaving Cert Student primarily, but also younger siblings also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Verbix is by far the best online resource for conjugating all languages, including Irish.

http://www.verbix.com/languages/irish.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Verbix is by far the best online resource for conjugating all languages, including Irish.

http://www.verbix.com/languages/irish.html

I use Teanglann.ie. I just looked at Verbix for the first time based on your recommendation. On an initial look Teanglann has the advantage of giving negative and question forms too.

http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/go.php?T1=beir&Submit=Go&D1=30&H1=130
    https://www.teanglann.ie/en/gram/beir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    I use Teanglann.ie. I just looked at Verbix for the first time based on your recommendation. On an initial look Teanglann has the advantage of giving negative and question forms too.

http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/go.php?T1=beir&Submit=Go&D1=30&H1=130
    https://www.teanglann.ie/en/gram/beir

Tie that in with focloir.ie where you will get all the verbs. Example sentences and pronunciation help aswell with recorded native speakers from the three dialects.

I know this is dragging up an old post but would you happen to remember where you got that door chart? I'm looking for an A2 size verb chart if possible, I'm hoping it would be fairly comprehensive though.

Edit: I should say I need to to help a higher level Leaving Cert Student primarily, but also younger siblings also.

This A3 glance card is available. It's double sided so if you buy two of them you can convert it into a large chart.

https://www.schoolbooksireland.ie/Glance-Card-Irish-Grammar/gc/

• Advertisement

Tie that in with focloir.ie where you will get all the verbs. Example sentences and pronunciation help aswell with recorded native speakers from the three dialects.

Just had a quick look on focloir.ie but I don't see the verbs conjugated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Just had a quick look on focloir.ie but I don't see the verbs conjugated?

Type in a verb. Click the verb and then choose the tense you want.

Type in a verb. Click the verb and then choose the tense you want.

I've got it now:) - type in the English of the verb and you'll be given one or more translations. 'verb' or 'PhrV' will be beside the Irish translation. Click on that and you'll get the conjugation. Thanks

Advertisement