Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

telly.ie redesign

• 21-12-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I've done some basic redesigning of my site http://telly.ie

Please give me some feedback.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

I still haven't managed to watch any channel..
    Following error message appears..

Error: Embedding http://live1.wm.skynews.servecast.net/skynews_wmlz_live300k with the Windows Media Plugin failed

It's a little strange having a blank page when you first visit the site and it took me awhile to spot the links.. Maybe have a channel e.g. sky news that loads immediately on the homepage so the visitor gets the idea straight away.

Finally alot of ads drive me away from any website.. Perhaps ease up on them for awhile until you attract some traffic and then try and integrate them a little better. Has great potential though.. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nodgienodge

I've run into endless problems with Windows Media embedding... It works in some browsers.. crashes others.. just doesn't work in others. If you use IE 8 it should function correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Why do I have to wait 10 seconds? Your best choices should be available on the homepage straight away. Waiting annoys people. And 75+ seconds for the movies??? And then some of the movies have been removed due to copyright.

Don't like the scrollbar on the rhs.

No video controls for TV streams and video is small. No stream size/rate info for videos.

Telling people to use IE8 is transferring the problem solving to the users. You should be solving the problems, not the other way around.

You're doing a lot of things that irritate and annoy users - stop doing them!

First of all the countdown thing grabs peoples attention. If they see an advert they like they may click on it. I may shorten it to 5 secs but it's all I could come up with without doing all the work involved in creating a detailed opening page. I plan to do somethinkg like this later with articles on popular TV programmes etc, tonights TV highlights (or whatever)

I'm not telling people to use IE 8, it works fine in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc. The only browsers it doesn't work in are IE7 and below so 95% of web surfers are covered there.

The video size is small and that's a windows media issue I've no control over.

I'll add video controls, I know this is necessary for volume control.

The scrollbar (RHS) is there simply so surfers can check out other channels without scrolling the TV screen out of view.

True that 77 secs is a bit long to wait but just click the fb link and it starts right away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

First of all the countdown thing grabs peoples attention. If they see an advert they like they may click on it. I may shorten it to 5 secs but it's all I could come up with without doing all the work involved in creating a detailed opening page.

No it doesn't grab users's attention, it really annoys them. Has done since the start of the Web. It's called the world wide wait. Avoiding it is fundamental to good web user experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web
    Frustration over congestion issues in the Internet infrastructure and the high latency that results in slow browsing has led to a pejorative name for the World Wide Web: the World Wide Wait.[73] Speeding up the Internet is an ongoing discussion over the use of peering and QoS technologies. Other solutions to reduce the congestion can be found at W3C.[74] Standard guidelines for ideal Web response times are:[75]

* 0.1 second (one tenth of a second). Ideal response time. The user doesn't sense any interruption.
    * 1 second. Highest acceptable response time. Download times above 1 second interrupt the user experience.
    * 10 seconds. Unacceptable response time. The user experience is interrupted and the user is likely to leave the site or system.

• Advertisement

I'm not telling people to use IE 8, it works fine in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc. The only browsers it doesn't work in are IE7 and below so 95% of web surfers are covered there.

I've tried it with IE 8 and chrome... doesn't work with either for me i'm afraid

grinds wrote: »
    I've tried it with IE 8 and chrome... doesn't work with either for me i'm afraid

when you say it doesn't work do you mean the feeds don't show up at all or what?? Sometimes you need to enable Active X controls, theres usually a yellow bar at the top of the page, you just have to say "Allow blocked content" or something.

As for chrome.. I don't like this browser but if you upgrade to Windows Media player 10 it should work. Otherwise throw your computer out the window.

As for chrome.. I don't like this browser but if you upgrade to Windows Media player 10 it should work. Otherwise throw your computer out the window.

I might throw my computer out the window as you suggested but I certainly won't be following it with my telly in the immediate future.

I was just offering some feedback as you requested. Best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The website causes my browser to crash. I'm using Firefox and I've clicked it twice and both times it crashed after the countdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

It doesn't work in Chrome or FireFox. It does work in IE8 only. You are wrong stating it will work in 95% of browsers: http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Not only have you limited yourself to IE you have limited yourself exclusively to Windows users. One of the most important rules of being a web developer/designer is to make sure your site/web system works on 99.9% of any visitors setup. End of discussion.
    Error: Embedding http://live1.wm.skynews.servecast.net/skynews_wmlz_live300k with the Windows Media Plugin failed.

Site is too slow to load.

Very advert intensive, looks spam-like. Each to their own I suppose.

No design considerations, practices, patterns.. Nav bar on left looks like something from a '90's site. No player controls. Video is too small.

True that 77 secs is a bit long to wait but just click the fb link and it starts right away
    How are people meant to know to click the FaceBook link to get the video to load... :eek: :confused:
    Otherwise throw your computer out the window.
    You asked for the feedback in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement